have a son with autism

mummy04
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:51 am 
Post subject: have a son with autism
hey everone
my son will be 4 in june and i was told just after he turned 3 that he has autism..
can sameone help me, my son has a thing about kicking and pushing other kids, he has tryed 2 bite me and my younger son..
is this normal for a kid with autism. he goes 2 preschool but he is still doing it at preschool.
what can i do 2 stop him from doing it. i have tryed sitting him down and say ing no that is nt nice but he just goes back and does it...
need same advice.,
GemGemz85
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:16 am 
Post subject:
Hi there

Sorry to hear your problems with your son. I am a special needs teacher and I see these kind of things happening everyday. Autistic children lack the understanding that we have between cause and effect. i.e. if i bite someone it will hurt them, which isn't a nice thing to do. Autistic children feel complusions to do something and then don't understand why they are then told off, as to them they HAD to do something. Your son i still very young so as hard as it may be you still have time on your side. There are many lovely teenagers in my school who were once almost unteachable when younger. It just take autistic children a little longer to 'get' social situations, as to them their world has only them in it to an extent. How much support are the preschool giving you? They should be able to help you produce some Widgit symbols or similar to use with your son. Autistic children don't have the same understanding of language as us, and so sometimes the use of clear simple symbols an help the.

Sorry if that was at all clinical to you, i cant imagine how it is to have an autistic child myself. All i know is that my school is full of lovely autistic children who eventualy flourished and managed to control some of their 'quirks' so to speak.

All the best,

Gemma X
alady
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:10 pm 
Post subject:
Hi my son was the same (aspergers syndrome)

a lot of his 'bad' behaviour was because he was bloody terrified.

He couldnt cope with lots of noise, people, lights etc, sensory overload for them.

The lashing out is a sign he is finding it a struggle.
Believe me I have spent many days in tears as he grew up, the way people looked at me and judged me, because he looks normal.

If he had a missing limb, people would be more understanding.

Luckily he did learn to settle at school, he had a really strict routine and lots of 'out time' when things became to much for him.

Im pleased to say, he is in high school now, he still has teaching assistant every day to help him cope with the social aspect, but acdemically he is top of his year.

If you want any advice, send me a message, I know of some great resources, its hard to find information, you really have to fight for it.

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:10 pm 
Post subject:
Hia I worked with a child with autism on a 1-1 basis. He was very violent and I ended up in hospital with head injuries because of him when he was just 7! I carried on working with him though, and we found that taking gluten out of his diet made a huge difference, he could feel pain for himself, where previously he couldn't and would headbutt everyone, and it made him much calmer. He had no communication so we worked to enter his world and do the things that he did, just joining in without judging him or anything and he slowly accepted me as a part of things and wanted to slowly enter 'my world' and started using communication means. It was a slow process but he can now speak and only has lapses of his 'isms' where he'll stare at things and zone out or headbutt the floors but working with him was the best thing I have ever done and I loved to be a part of his life and see him develop. I can let you know more about this if you need me to good luck xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Special Needs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular