Long Drive ahead with 4 month old in car.

Travel system or separates?
Stroller with lie-back option and seperate car seat
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Travel system with click-in car seat
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Trio system with travel cot and seat option
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
EmVar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:12 pm 
Post subject: Long Drive ahead with 4 month old in car.
Hiya, I'm having a right old nightmare deciding on a travel system and it all just got a load worse today when I was told the baby car travel seats can only be used for a couple of hours at a time.

I will be driving from Yorkshire to Gretnor for a wedding when baby is about 4 - 4.5 months old, so I started looking at the carrycot things you can click into your car a bit like the travel seats. They look quite good but a bit expensive just to use for one weekend! (Or would I??)

The main trouble is I don't know if the baby will have grown out of the carrycot by then anyway! and if it has then what on earth would I do?

How long do you have to take baby out of car seat in between 2hr-bouts?

Any hints about travel systems in general?

Thanks,
Em

[/url]
LisaGandAmelia
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 pm 
Post subject:
I took Amelia on a 2.5hr journey when she was 5 weeks old. I drove and my OH sat in the back with her in her car seat. We timed it so that the journey coincided with her nap time so she slept the whole way there and the same on the way back a couple of days later. She was comfortable in the car seat. We had planned to stop at the services if she woke up and put her flat in the pram for a while, but we didn't need to.

I would think at 4 months your baby will probably have outgrown a carry cot and will be able to hold their own head pretty well. I think you'll be fine travelling them in a car seat with regular breaks if it is a long journey. I hope it goes well when the time comes x
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:42 am 
Post subject:
We have done a couple of journeys on hols with H about 3/4 hours. We would set off when it was nap time and he would usually sleep most of the way xx

mum2JJnMnA
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:04 am 
Post subject:
We used to live in Germany and drive back to the UK every couple of months, When my first child was a baby we just timed it so he was asleep, we set off about 7 at night, shopped about 10 for a stretch and a bottle set off again, got to ferry about midnight, that took an hour and a half so we would entertain him for that time, give him another bottle just before we got to dover so as soon as we got back in the car he would fall asleep again, then just try and get home (in Uk) in about 8 hours having a couple of small stops in the meantime.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular