How do I tell if I am definitely ovulating?

MrsE27
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:56 pm 
Post subject: How do I tell if I am definitely ovulating?
Hi there,

Been ttc for 3 months now so I thought I would try OPK, as my periods have been irregular. I ordered strips off the internet and have trying to detect a LH surge but nothing so far??? How long does the surge last, would you miss it by testing every 24 hours? I think I may be ovulating yest / today judging by my EWCM but still nothing. Should I try a different brand of test? If I go to the doctors, is there a test they can do to tell if I am releasing an egg as supposed to?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks to anyone who replies xx

P.S. has anyone found their family planning clinic more helpful than their GP?
Tillysmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there, I have been TTC for 3 years, Ihave PCOS and yet I have a regular 28 day cycle and because of the length of time I have been trying I know my body inside and out. I have used these tests before on nuerous ocassions with only 1 positive result. Personally I think they are [*@!#%*]. If I were you I would monitor your cervical fluid noting the changes as the change is a real sign of ovulation, also you can do a temperature chart but I havent bothered with one of those. I am on medication to make sure I ovulate and I have a blood test on day 21 of my cycle and my gynacologist said that was the very best day of testing. You could go to your docs and ask for some blood test envelopes but it may be a bit soon to go down the doctor route.
Good luck x
MrsE27
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:39 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for your reply!! Don't think il bother too much with the opk, gonna give up! Hope you dont mind me asking Terina but how did you know / find out you have PCOS? I know you have been trying for a while but sounds like its just a matter of time for you!!! (hopefully not long now!! Smile )

Best of luck and thanks again x
Tillysmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:57 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, of course I dont mind you asking - I found out 1n 2000 that I had PCOS as I was having difficulties getting pregnat - I was referred to a gynacologist and they performed a lapraoscopy which showed that I had PCOS - i was given a drug to help ovulation and within 2 months I was pregnant (my daughter is 6). We have been trying for 3 years and I have been on 3 lots of the drug, had a lap and dye (had some endometriosis cells cut away) and still I am not pregnant. I am sure you are absolutely fine, it has only been a few months. Hope that helps. x
lisaken
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:59 pm 
Post subject:
hope it happens soon for u girls good luck i bet u will make great mums xxx
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:18 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the support!! Good luck with your baby, not long now...!!! Very Happy
Poppy99
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:56 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, definatley would agree with Terina. Been testing with ovulation strips for three months now and never found any surge. I too only test once a day. At the times I thought I was ovulating I have seen a more definate line on the test strip but never as strong as the control line. This can last for a couple of days, through reading my own body signs ie Cervical Mucus and Cervix i have a better idea of when ovulation could be. Personally i think the tests just lead to more worry as at first I though I was not ovulating and there was a problem but after reading posts on this web I think its more the tests than me.

Terina, Do you think after 6 months TTC it would be too early to visit the doc. I still have niggling concerns over ovulation, only because this month I have monitored my BBT but it has not risen as they say it should after ovulation so I'm worried about this? (I'm 35+)
Ruthy10
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi poppy99
Just read your post and it soynds very similar to my situation. I was diagnosed with pcos last year despite regular cycle and have a lot of trouble ttc. Docs put me on metformin to regulate sugar and hormone and then a drug to make 100% sure i was ovulating (they scan you!)
It is not to soon to refer yourself for help (athough your doc may ask you to wait a year but maybe not as you are 35+)
I hope this helps
X
Poppy99
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:10 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Ruthy10, I have read about PCOS but have you any idea what can lead to it ie. cause PCOS? Just over 2 years ago I fell pregnant easily with our first child who was born by emergency ceasarian, I cant help worry this may be having an effect, (not that there is much I can do to change that and it was the best thing for both my Son and me) As someone who has been through it can you tell me a little please, would you mind? Do you have any pain from it?
Ruthy10
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hi poppy99
No don't mind at all. I was diagnosed from ultrasound and the fact that i was also insulin resistant hence metformin. You don't get any pain with it and my cycle is as regular as clockwork but they can see on ultrasound 'bulky' ovaries. All they do is manage the insulin resistance and give a drug when you want to get pregnant to make your body ovulate properly. With me i had lots of little follies but they didn't seemed to mature so they couldn't release and get fertilized. The metformin apparently (according to my clinic) helps with this as does the drug (i had low dose clomid) . This worked for me and as the doctor said my body just needed a little 'push' . Soem women have much more severe symptons such as no period ans real problems with the cysts on their ovaries. If you are worried it really won't hurt to go to your gp and they will probably do blood work which can telll if you ovulated and properly.
Hope this helps, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask as i know how frustrated and heartbreaking ttc can be .
X
Poppy99
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:06 pm 
Post subject:
Again, Thanks Ruthie10. I know I have only been charting my temp. for one month it is still playing heavy on my mind as to why I have not seen any rise after ovulation (or positive ov test) so it couldn't hurt to go see the doc, if he takes me seriously it may cut out a few more months of worry. Just gotta get past the dragon on reception and get an appointment! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular