Anyone else feel like they're left in the dark??

smelen
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:05 pm 
Post subject: Anyone else feel like they're left in the dark??
I'm Helen, I'm 23. My husband and I are expecting our first baby. I'm 9 weeks today and been struggling with fatigue so badly I had to take 2 weeks off work.

I should have seen my midwife last week but she wasn't available. I should have had a blood test for anaemia but obviously couldn't because I couldn't see her. Instead, I saw a very busy stand in midwife who took very few details such as height, weight etc. and sent off for me to get an appointment for a scan.

I am still waiting to hear when my first scan will be. Only after the scan I will see a midwife and then she carry out blood tests.

Is this normal? I just feel like I have been left in limbo. The midwife was going to give me a pack (full of info which I would very much like to read up on coz I haven't got a clue about anything) but there were no packs left. She was also going to give me a bottle for urinating in when I go for a scan, but there were none of these left either.

I don't feel like I am being looked after at all, which scares me because I've heared quite a few stories about women not being looked after right up untill birth. If this was not my first baby I wouldn't feel quite so on edge but I haven't got a clue what to expect.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had the same problems?

Helen
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, Quite a few people have noted about the treatment they have had in the early stages of pregnancy, so your not alone, they just dont seem to be that bothered with you until after your first scan im afraid.

ive been ok with my appointments but my first midwife was leaving her job and didnt really help answer any questions, do all of the correct tests, didnt tell me why she was taking my bloods and then dint give me any results. She panicked me about my blood pressure saying, o my you better lay on the chair, and then couldnt find a heartbeat. as i was only 10 weeks, me and my partner thought we had lost it or something, but then just before we left she said right everthing looks fine and your scan will be booked for..

Totally confusing.. Got a new midwife now whoose lovely but very forgetful.. im nearly 24 weeks and still havent been given that pack.

I think you just have to pester them, if your not happy then make another apt, and demand they fit you in. even if it means you see a a nurse or doc instead.

Hope everythings goes ok for you xx

smelen
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:54 pm 
Post subject:
thanks Mikhaela, that helps a lot!!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:26 pm 
Post subject:
Same happened to me too with stand in midwives right up until today when I saw my first 'proper' midwife who I will; continue to see for the rest of the pregnancy - i'm 24 weeks so try and be patient! The last few times I had been were awful and there were [*CENSORED*] ups with blood tests, no one would weigh me or feel the fundus (i love that word!) and my appts were so quick sometimes i just felt very disregarded. i actually made a complaint to the senior GP and he was very nice and agreed with my concerns and now i have the lovely sheila who is fab and i am much more relaxed about things xxxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular