Breastfeeding help and tips...

Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:13 pm 
Post subject: Breastfeeding help and tips...
Not for debates and arguments please and thankyou Laughing

Just somewhere for people to ask questions, get help and support if they want to try it, are having problems or want to share things that have worked Very Happy
mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:14 pm 
Post subject:
yay Very Happy i hope people use this, it could be great!

ktandbabyo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:18 pm 
Post subject:
Yey this will be great! I'm totally paranoid that I'll be useless at bf and that I won't have a clue what i'm doing.

I'll definately be using this for questions and advice!
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 am 
Post subject:
Great idea, there should be more support for bf mums. My lo never had a bottle and at times its really hard and really tiriing, but stick with it and its so rewarding for both you and baby. The best ever ready meal!!!
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:52 pm 
Post subject:
hopefully people will start checking this post out when they notice it - heres the first question!

how do you ladies manage when you run out of milk? im not sure how you know that you have, but elijah was wanting to feed today from about 5pm until around 9 when he gave up and fell asleep - now i had him latched on a lot of that time just to see if he was really hungry (he was!) but surely there was no milk left?

is it likely its because i have started mixed feeding him (one bottle at around 11pm for nearly 2 weeks now), could it have affected my milk supply or his hunger....or maybe its just a growth spurt. anyway, if you dont have the option of a bottle what do you do??? just leave baby to cry and hope you make more milk quickly???

LesleyandBethany
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:16 pm 
Post subject:
Hello, this is a great thread. I've breastfed my little girl (in fact I still am BF but am looking to stop in the next few weeks - she is on one feed a day, bedtime for 1 few minutes) for 15 months and I'm not going to lie at times it has been hard but I am so glad I've done it. Bethany would never take a bottle of expressed milk so when she was just solely BF it was very restricting but it is just a short time out of your life and really is worth it.

In answer to the question about milk supplies, it is "supply and demand" so basically the more your LO's are feeding the more milk you will produce. Also, in this hot weather, if anyone tells you, you need to give water too, well this is wrong, when the weather is hot, your milk changes and becomes more watery to adapt to this.

Hope this is of some help.
xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:25 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with lesley there.
As long as you LO is latched on and feeding the milk is still being produced, but not at the same rate as if he was put on for his 1st feed.

In hot weather you will find that they need to feed more oftern as this is also their 'water' the thirst quenching watery milk that is first produced at each feed (the fore milk)

If you are giving a bottle at the same time each day (eg 11pm) you may find that your milk won't replenish enough after the last feed before 11pm..but should be there for any other feed there after Wink
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:31 pm 
Post subject:
thanks Smile i hope lots of people use this thread, especially in the first couple of weeks i desperately needed advice and support! elijah is getting one bottle of formula, and i express at times but havent in the past week as we both got thrush which was very painful Sad

i wonder if eli has just been thirsty then, he cant possibly be that hungry (can he?!). apart from when i was really sore (and apparently the milk can be infected too) i have been trying to express at the same time as he has had his bottle so i have a bit saved up Smile that seems to be helping keep the evening supply up.

its a lot more complicated and sore than i was lead to believe at antenatal classes! im waiting for the rosy days that i can lop out a boob in tescos cafe and chat away with my friends Laughing

LesleyandBethany
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:36 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Hun, when Bethany was younger I fed her in places I never thought I would do - descretly of course. You get to the point where you think right by baby is hungry and I'm gonna fed them and people don't notice. Good luck xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:39 pm 
Post subject:
It will come in time hun. I was very lucky and apart from the painful feeding within the first weeks..it was plain sailing from then on. Ohh, I miss it Sad

Is the thrush cleared now then?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
miss it! pah! i do get horrible pangs of jealousy when i see hubby feeding him though......

the thrush i think has finally gone, still getting the occasional pain but nothing like before - my g.p has put the nystatin and daktarin on my records so i can ask for it without seeing them though if needs be Very Happy i hope i never need it again that was awful! feeling loads better now and a bit guilty about the formula, but its working this way for me and giving me a break Smile

i fed in john lewis' parents room the other day, felt a bit naughty in public Embarassed and have fed in the car a few times, i reckon i will just have to at some point - im more embarrassed about showing off my fat belly than the boob though Laughing

StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:11 pm 
Post subject:
I've been lucky too and not had any problems whatsoever with BFing, I love it!
Intoduced a bedtime bottle of hungry babe milk some weeks back, as I didn't feel full of a night and missy was waking a few times still. She's since slept through and I know my body has responded to the bottle so I don't produce until overnight for the morning.
Glad the thrush has gone!! Touch wood Very Happy
I feed babe wherever and whenever - am not shy. Though saying that I'm preparing a bottle for tomorrow when am out as I'm with friends and friends of. Not shy about feeding in front of strangers, or with a select few friends, maybe I don't want to make the rest uncomfortable?! I don't lift my top to feed, though, I just yank it down Laughing

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:16 pm 
Post subject:
Quote:
I don't lift my top to feed, though, I just yank it down
Very Happy at home or at my mums i just do whatever fits with what im wearing, my dad was over today though and i felt awful scampering off to feed for half an hour!

StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:29 pm 
Post subject:
How about a bump belt if you were out and lift your top to feed, then you wouldn't flash belly? Very Happy Though I'm sure it's not bad.
Anyone found that BF didn't help them lose weight quickly? I see no major difference, especially since everyones said the weight'll drop off! I'm happy in myself though, have my gorgeous missy to show for everything.

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:41 pm 
Post subject:
im hoping its just too soon for me (although im eating really badly) but definitely no 'dropping' of weight Laughing hope other ladies have had this though!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to:  

Community

Popular