Breastfeeding help and tips...

LilMissPea
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi all,
So glad 2 found this thread, this breast feeding stuff is driving me insane!
im constantly worried Milly isnt eating enough or often enough.
I still have trouble latching on and am getting sore nipples, will be seeing the HV tomorrow but i feel i get a lil fobbed off by them, the last visit i cried i was so stressed with it and was so sore. yet in my notes she put i am doing really well Shocked
Milly only feeds for 5-10 mins at a time. every 3-4hours, the midwife said this isnt long enough but its impossible 2 force anymore in her, she falls asleep and thats that. originally it was because her jaundice but now thats improving her feeding isnt. im starting 2 think that she is happy with whats she's having, she never cries an seems really content.
has any1 else had any similar situations?
does it ever get better?
cheers x

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:36 am 
Post subject:
Hi Hun,

My LO has never been on my breast for longer than 10 mins he takes wat he needs and finishes and has his nxt feed within 2-3 hours.
The only thing i would worry about regarding the feeding is that shs putting weight on my LO has never lost weight so always knew he was having enough even tho it was 5-10mins.
The sore nipples i cant think of anyone who doesnt have them. My god my toes will curl and i would scream lol. But have two weeks they were fine. Try lansinoh from mothercare its really good, buy the time i had it tho my nipples were getting better so never used it.
char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
kelsplus4
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:13 am 
Post subject:
my little girls only feeds for 5 mins a time every 3 hours, she seems happy and content afterwards so im guessing she gets enough. every baby is different and you know best.

kels x xx

Squibby06
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the advice ladies Smile He's still needing feeding from both sides at each feed,so I'm thinking either he's not getting enough or he's having a growth spurt? Confused

He's got a cold at the mo,which is making feeding tricky anyway,and he seems to be struggling a bit (ouchy for all the thrashing about and unlatching really quickly! Sad )

It's weird,but I feel like he gets more from one side than the other,I can hear him gulping on that side,but not when he feeds from the other side Confused I don't think it helps I've got no appetite at all just now,and that mixed with the tiredness,I just can't be bothered to make food,but I know I need to eat,maybe that's affecting my milk?

This morning he fed constantly from about 10.30 til 2/3pm,then seemed to settle and went 3 hours but had to feed him from both sides.there doesn't seem to be much pattern to his feeds at all x

LilMissPea
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:04 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks 4 replies!
I went 2 a 1on1 breastfeeding clinic today, the woman was so happy with me i was back out the door in bout 10mins. She weighed Milly and she has gained 4oz already. the midwife said what with the jaundice things have got overly complicated with top up feeds, timing etc and im doubting myself 2 much. the notepad is in the bin and im going 2 stop setting alarms, and just let milly tell me when she hungry.
she helped me with my latching and that should stop the soreness.
Feeling so much more relaxed now i know im doing something right.
Squibby i havent got an appetite either and Milly has no pattern 2 her feeds either, the OH reminds me 2 drink more as my lips are so dry through dehydration.
im sure you and your LO are fine, from the advice i got today there are no set rules, the babies make their own Laughing

Squibby06
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks hun Smile Glad to hear things are getting better,and that's great she's putting on weight! that's my worry,have HV coming tomorrow and I really hope he has put on,he had on monday,but it's been since then it's all gone a bit haywire! Rolling Eyes

I'm hoping it might just be a growth spurt he's going through,apparently about 10 days or so they can have one and around 2 weeks,so that would make sense.He fed from 8-10.30 last night and in the end,my OH had to tell me to go to bed and gave him a bottle Sad there just wasnt' anything left for him,and I was shattered.

He only did the one feed though,and I've carried on with the rest since,but he fed on and off since 9am until about half 12/1 today,before he finally went to sleep on me Rolling Eyes He just seems to be really restless when he feeds now,either he isn't getting enough or it's this darn cold making him struggle Sad

Any tips anyone has would be great!xx

JafflePie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:59 pm 
Post subject:
You do need to eat as well as possible (!) but more importantly make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids. Get some things you can grab from the fridge or refill like water botles, capri sun pouches, ribena, oasis, cartons of fruit juice etc. plus teas, coffees, hot chocolates, even soups or cup-a-soups in this weather! You need to keep well hydrated.

Try massaging your breast before a feed and/or a warm flannel or warm hands - and you could also try a bit of expressing (can be stored something like 3months in freezer too) to help increase supply; but best of all is having baby feed - their evening and night feeds are like them "putting an order in with the milkman for the next day" I was told! You're hormones are at their highest then so do persevere and your supply will increase over the next day/few days - mixed feeding is an idea too as mentioned.

Nipple sheilds are great esp. if there is nipple damage, hand pumps can be more gentle than electric, hand expressing works for some, lansinoh nipple cream is good for the first few weeks and who on earth ever said BF babies don't get wind was talking out of their behind! Laughing

It's all about finding what works best for you and baby. Good luck and well done for giving it a go xx
XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:16 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with the wind thing, my LO gets more wind from my breast than an expressed bottle lol.

Char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
Squibby06
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:50 pm 
Post subject:
Wow great advice Jafflepie hun Smile Thing's are still not so good here,I really want to keep feeding him myself,but he just seems so unsettled all the time Confused

The nights,surprisingly are better,he will go 2-3 hours between feeds,and back to sleep relatively easily,but during the day,he just doesn't settle at all Sad he seems to just want feeding constantly all morning,and maybe sleeps for an hour if I'm lucky.

So far today,he's fed non-stop since 10am,and just not settling at all.I don't feel like my breasts are filling up again quick enough to keep up with him,so he can't be getting much Confused

I spoke to my HV about it and she said he will be getting enough,but I'm really not sure,they never seem to feel full,to the point that they hurt or feel hard atall,so how can he be getting enough Confused

and the wind thing is a load of old tosh!!he's windier than my DS was and he was bottle fed! I think that's half the problem tbh,he doesn't seem to be getting his wind up/we've resorted to infacol now but it doesn't seem to be helping tbh.

What am I doing wrong? Sad

JafflePie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:49 pm 
Post subject:
I'm sure there's something herbal and/or some specific foods you can try to help supply... are you getting enough sleep yourself? To allow your body to rest and regenerate supply? Smile

It's not an easy time but it will get better honestly - the more you wory the worse you'll feel - I was once told that BFing isn't so much a feeding choice but a lifestyle choice - by which I think she meant the amount of time, adjustments made, worring done & the whole getting-in-tune-with-baby(and boobies!) that is different from FFing. It's weird because it's easier to give that dedication with 1st baby but you feel more relaxed with 2nd+ but have more demands on your time!

I think Mari was trying a supplement to help milk production... Question could be wrong though Laughing

Out of interest, are you using a dummy at all? xx
mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
howdy, did i hear my name? haha ummm first things first i would try and cut out caffeine as it gets passed into your milk and can make your baby agitated (that is definate not just another theory - its hard to keep up with em haha). there are things you can eat that will help your milk production....malt is one, so malted bread or white ovaltine (not the regular kind or horlicks cos it is synthetic), you can also eat oats, almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds...they will help your milk production and quality of milk.

lots of babies have trouble if you eat lots of dairy/caffeine/onions and spicy things - i know that doesn't leave much but if it gets you through the next week or two i bet you anything you will find things loads easier and can re-introduce stuff.

its really common for tiny babies to 'cluster feed' too - it's like them putting in their order for the next day like jafflepie said, its normally in the evening but can be any time. when they feed til you run out of milk it stimulates milk production so over a period of weeks/days you produce more, to feed demand. its kind of clever but painful and often knackering and tiring for mummy! you will find that first thing in the morning, as the days/weeks go by, you will feel fuller.

if you are really nervous about how much milk you are producing you can try expressing just so you can see - but be warned it can affect your milk supply and isn't a great representation of how much you produce cos your body won't be fooled into thinking it is your baby Smile

i agree the wind thing is b*llocks, elijah is still a very burpy boy. and be reassured that your breasts constantly produce milk so don't reach 100% empty, but they probably feel they are!

i remember still very clearly what feeding every hour with painful nipples is like - not getting enough sleep/food/drink/time and feeling inadequate, however i can guarantee that it will get better (from about 3-15 weeks i gave elijah a 4oz bottle of hipp organic forumla in teh evening, or rather my husband did, so i could have a shower). its worth getting into the habit of having a pint of juice/water around wherever you go to keep your fluid up and trying to get enough sleep (ho ho!)

it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job, and nobody tells you how bleeding hard it is do they! if you need to give the odd bottle here and there, do it, if you need to express to get a bit of reassurance, go for it! everything will calm down and get into a rhythm so at least you know what to expect Smile

if you have any questions feel free to pm me, im not on all that much here Smile (p.s elijah still feeds 10pm-1am but i sort of know that i need to fit that in now haha) (p.p.s are you taking iron? you might be anemic if you have no appetite and are really tired, i thought it was just post-baby tiredness but actually i was really anemic).

Squibby06
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:29 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for the advice,this thread is great Very Happy

No,not using a dummy,although he has had it the once one night when OH gave it to him but not since,I'd much rather he didn't.

I was wondering if taking some vitamins,like pregnacare(still have some left over) would help,at least I'd feel a bit more reassured that he was getting some goodness.

Thank you for the tips Mari hun,I'll try them all,the seeds sound like a good idea,at least something I can snack on if I don't have much time to make anything to eat.I think it's just getting in to the habit of eating little and often,and with him feeding so much just now,and with a toddler,it's not easy!

I'm only drinking de-caff tea and coffee,but mostly water,so it's not caffeine that's the problem.Not drinking fizzy drinks etc either.he just seems to have so much wind all the time,and is really unsettled during the day,bit better at night but still not in any kind of pattern with feeds and sleeping.

Was awake 4.30-6.30 last night just feeding and not settling,then slept for an hour,woke again at 7.30 for a feed,and was awake until 9am,then slept until 11 and wanted feeding again.After that,he was just really unsettled all day,not slept and loads of wind.Finally got him settled about half 4,but he'll be wanting a feed soon.

I feel like all I'm doing just now is feeding,don't have any time for anything else,he won't let me put him down to sleep either but he will at night Rolling Eyes would be nice if there was some consistency to it.

As for the wind,is there anything I can do to ease that?have tried infacol,which does nothing.Just got some dentinox to try,but I'd rather he learned to bring his own wind up,he just seems reluctant to let it go!

Will try all your tips,thanks ladies xxxx

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
as far as the wind is concerned, eli eventually just grew out of it - we tried infacol etc but to no avail, and i used to live in fear of waking him up by winding him then having to start all over trying to get (feed!) eli to sleep again - we tried gaviscon too but i think it was clutching at straws!

it just took time in the end, i know that probably isn't what you want to hear! i definitely remember feeling like i didnt have time to wee in between feeding, but it doesn't go on forever and will settle down - it must be a nightmare with a toddler. the seeds are great yeah, cos they are really high in energy plus help your milk and are quite easy to just grab a handful - i have a book about it somewhere if you want me to look up some other suggestions? i have been having porridge made with full fat milk and white ovaltine, its really nice but takes a while to cook so maybe save that for later!

i carried on taking pregnacare - it definitely wont do any harm and hopefully will help your body keep up Smile

i still have trouble at times putting elijah down, but i absolutely refuse to leave him to cry it out no matter how many people tell me he should - so that's probably not helpful haha Smile

the bottle a day helped me no end cos i knew that at about 10pm i would get an hour to myself and i sort of clung to that when times were hard, other than that i think all i can say is hang in there, it sounds like you are doing really well - sometimes there are just no answers except for time! Smile

kelsplus4
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:39 pm 
Post subject:
hi squibby,
you sound like your doing a great job with little harry.
my little girl was exactly the same, and suffered with really bad trapped wind, i tried everything to help but nothing seemed to work. as mari said it takes time and it is soo worth it in the end Laughing layla is soo much better now, she is 4 months old and still now everyday will be different to when she feeds. but i just let her tell me when she wants it and how much. i also thought like you that layla was not getting enough but they are and if they dont then they will feed more and put an order in for the next day.
i also have 3 other children to look after and know how hard it is, especially with my 2 year old but as everyone said it does get better.
i hope it gets better for you soon hun

kels x xx

Squibby06
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies Very Happy I thought things were getting a little better yesterday,he didn't feed quite as often and slept well in between his feeds,but today has been a different story!

He's been feeding every hour/hour and a half but is reaaly restless when he feeds.I put it down to wind at first,but now I'm not sure if we've both got thrush Sad I noticed he had a white coating on his tongue but just put it down to milk residue,though now am not so sure as I've started feeling sore,latching on is really painful now and been getting sharp pains and like a burning sensation too. Confused

boobs had been itchy for a few days but don't know if that's anything to do with it?

he's so windy aswell,not having any trouble getting it out of him,he doesn't stop farting!
Confused I'm completely exhausted today,just when thing's were starting to go ok Sad

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to:  

Community

Popular