Breastfeeding help and tips...

StephieWheps
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:01 am 
Post subject:
Does anyone have any advice about a baby who won't burp after BFs? She's 2 and a half weeks old and she's been getting stomach aches at night, which causes Mummy here to be quite distraught because I can't do anything to help her. She screams and pulls her legs up to her chest because of the pain. I keep changing positions, trying to relieve her but nothing seems to help.

When she feeds, mostly she falls asleep on the breast so I try and burp her but she won't budge. I don't know what else to try.

We have some Gripe Water which we've been using at night but it doesn't seem to be doing much help. I know once she's a month old there's Infacol and Pandadol and things, but with only Gripe Water available at the moment I don't know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I don't know how many more sleepless nights I can handle!
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:43 pm 
Post subject: Breastfeeding
I breastfed both my girls; first one for 9 months and second one is now 5 months and still going strong! Occasionally I top(ped) them up with a formula feed if my milk was running low, particularly late on an evening, as I don't want to see/hear them cry for food. It's been very successful and I have loved it. The worst parts of BF have been cracked and bleeding nipples for 2 days one week in with my second, running out of milk and the guilt of feeding formula, and then thrush in her mouth and my boob!! Ouch!!

Both my babies slept thru from 6 weeks, so it's nonsense when people say that BF stops babies sleeping thru. Also, I don't think baby weight comes off any quicker for BFing either. And I definitely think that you get the same bond or maybe even better bond with bottle-feeding, as when you give a bottle you can make eye contact with your baby the whole feed, and with breast-feeding the baby just stares at the boob.

BFing is a million times easier than bottle-feeding, as no sterilising, no buying bottles or formula, measuring out water and powder, trying to work out how to take the right amount of bottles with you for a day trip out, and how on earth do you manage to make them up with hot freshly-boiled water and cool under a tap when you're at the zoo???

Lots of myths surrounding BFing, but I loved every minute of it!! It's a memory I will treasure forever!
scotchmi5t
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:55 am 
Post subject:
I'm very new to all of this, I know its really early but I'm thinking about feeding already. I do want to breast feed, and I'm thinking that I would like to fill bottles for going out and about but do your babies accept bottles of breast milk or are they fussy and not take the bottles at all? I want to have the option but I do understand it might not be that straight forward?!
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:39 pm 
Post subject:
I could really do with some advice on giving up Bf LO is 9mths now and I'm ready to give up.

He was feeding every few hours at night but we are trying a new sleep routine on him of no feeds between 11-5am to see if he can get the hang of sleeping.
He has a feed in the morning about an hour or two before breakfast depending if he falls back to sleep. Then he used to fall asleep on the breast about 11am and again at 3pm, then would feed him at bedtime.
I feel like I've been doing this parenting all wrong as now I need him to sleep without feeds and feed without sleep!
We are working on the afternoon feed first but he'll only take sips from a cup (always hated bottles)and throws a complete hissy fit if offered the cup at nap time.

Please can anyone help?
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:22 am 
Post subject:
Minxymoo..
I'm still BFing my LO and like you she has always fed to sleep. Never used to be a problem but recently i've been finding it really hard, (she had oral thrush and would only BF and is a bit addicted now). I felt like some where along the line i must have done something really wrong.

3days ago i fed her at bedtime and she didn't fall asleep so i laid her down she faffed about rolled, stood up sat down, genreally was a pain, but she didn't want 2 be picked up. after an hour she got whingy so i laid her down put my hand on her tummy and she eventually drifted off. Next day same thing but took half hr. she is still waking for 2 feeds in the night but we going 2 work on that next. I think she was just ready for sleep training and FX it carries on.

Would your LO take a dummy for comfort?
I think the main thing is learning how to drift off without you, could you give the cup when wide awake before nap time and work on him self settling.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful, but i have been going thorugh exactly the same thing so your not alone!
Hope something clicks for you and you LO too
xx

Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
Hey thanks for the reply. He may be getting a bit better FX.
We've had so much going on lately it's hard to keep a proper eye on things. My FIL became very ill a few months ago and we've been back and forth to Cardiff alot which hasn't helped with the routine stuff. Sadly he has passed away now and I know lil man can sense the greif in both of us.
Anyway I'm now giving him 3 boobie feeds a day and nothing between 11-5 and he is waking up alot less. He used to have a dummy but we gave it up at 6mths as he didn't use it to go to bed.
I've been chatting to quite a few people and they say he only needs an am and pm feed so am working towards that and then maybe swap them for formula soon.

Am currently having to rest a hand on him until he is off to sleep but hoping when things settle down a bit he won't need that either.

xx
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:05 pm 
Post subject:
i am abit scared because my lil boy wouldnt latch on, but i wanna bf my lil girl wen she is born,

avfcgal
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:32 pm 
Post subject:
hi my daughter is now four months old, i am still breastfeeding her, it was hard to start with but i carried on doing it, i love the bond and alone time i have with her, she is coming on really well, if you want any advice i will help.

i would say keep trying and you would love it too, try breast feeding in different positions and you will find the right one for u, i have found that laying down with her is the easyest for me but every one is different

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to:  

Community

Popular