Breastfeeding help and tips...

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:10 pm 
Post subject:
i have already put a post about this on feeding and weaning, but just wondering how often your little ones are feeding?

elijah is still every 2 hours and i start to freak out if he goes for anything near 3 - should i be leaving him much longer??? 90% of the time he wakes himself up at 2 hours or cries to be fed anyway but i wonder if he is feeding too little and often?

hmm Confused

pixel
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 am 
Post subject:
mari, apparently there's a cafe down at city quay that supports breastfeeding... it was mentioned at one of the ante-natal classes i went to.
i'm still not comfortable feeding outside of the flat. i've only done it at my mum's and OH's parents but i'm not comfortable enough to do it in front of anyone but my OH and i hate having to go away to do it, like i'm being banished (even though it's me banishing myself!!). i'm going to invest in some breastfeeding tops and practice being discreet in front of the mirror Laughing

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:46 pm 
Post subject:
i dont mind in front of a few people (select people though), but im not good at being discreet Confused i havent got any special tops because im still convincing myself i will lose weight (har!) and they are so bloody expensive! my area office is at city quay i wonder where that cafe is....hm

looby82
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
i replied on your other thread mariblake but forgot to say i wouldnt set an alarm anymore. it's perfectly normal to be feeding every two hours, but if he goes longer now and again, brill!
also just to mention again for feeding in public feeding covers are brilliant if you bit self conscious. i have a 'bebe au lait', it's fab!
xxx

LisaGandAmelia
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:20 am 
Post subject:
Hey ladies! I exclusively BF Amelia for just over a year so I'm going to keep an eye on this thread too.

I found when it's hot that BF pillows are worth their weight in gold, you don't have to cuddle them in and get all hot and sticky if they're perched atop a pillow.

I never really found my peace woth feeding in public. I did do it and used the 2 top method already mentioned. I also had a musllin cloth to hand incase of any gaping. I have no idea why I didn't feel at ease, I think maybe because it was a private thing between us, and also as being quite busty I felt as though there was always too much on display.

Jaffle when Amelia was small I only fed from one side at a time, I would only offer the other side as she got older and hungrier. x
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:06 pm 
Post subject:
mariblake wrote:
i dont mind in front of a few people (select people though), but im not good at being discreet Confused i havent got any special tops because im still convincing myself i will lose weight (har!) and they are so bloody expensive! my area office is at city quay i wonder where that cafe is....hm

i've not been down that way in a while but i think it's some kind of jungle kids thing Confused
mothercare have a sale on, i got a breastfeeding top for a fiver Very Happy i've seen others reduced on blooming marvellous but not sure if they still are cos i bookmarked them when i was still pregnant

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:52 pm 
Post subject:
im not sure i even would know how to work a breastfeeding top Shocked

i emailed the la leche league about my various troubles with eli not latching properly and giving me sore boobies, the thrush and so on - they sent a huuuuuuuuge and really informative email back, i would definitely recommend them as a source of information and support. that being said it is very much bf only and they sent me various articles condemning (perhaps a strong word) the use of dummies and they seem to refuse to acknowledge bottles, recommending cup feeding and expressing instead Confused

so useful if you are a more..hardcore breastfeeder Smile they think i should take elijah's dummy away (although he uses it only rarely when nothing else works) and the bottle should go, but im afraid i really cant face life without those things atm! anyway, im sulking cos its all my own fault i have sore boobies Smile

pixel
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:14 pm 
Post subject:
why is it your fault you have sore boobies? i'm not giving up her soother at night (i refuse to call it a dummy) it's a great distraction for me til i wake up properly!

i'm going to have to look up how to store breast milk for when i start expressing, i've no idea what to do with it once i've pumped Confused

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:51 pm 
Post subject:
its my fault cos i used a dummy (i think we should rename it) and a bottle, so now he tries to use my nipple the same way and its effing sore! theres loads of info on here somewhere about expressed milk and storing it - i still find expressing quite hard, dont get more than 2oz, usually only one each side, but i also find it a bit tricky fitting it in around elijahs feeds - practice and timing seem to be the way forward! Smile

pixel
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:11 pm 
Post subject:
ah i see, that'll be why the woman at ante-natal said not to use a bottle til at least 4 weeks Confused i'm going to bf til end of august and then start using boob and bottle, least then my OH can join in the feeds! what bottles do you use for elijah? i've got the tommee tippee closer to nature ones

PINKYD
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
i started using a bottle for expressed milk after a month, i know hardcore bf's say not to use one at all but ive heard its really hard to get some babies to take bottles at a later date i have the closer to nature bottles too. i couldnt survive without a 'soother' either , ava used to use my boob as a soother and was never away from it!
x
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:52 pm 
Post subject:
yeah pinky - if elijah gets overtired nothing but nothing will calm him down other than a soother or my boob, and i really dont want him getting into the habit of needing me for comfort as well as food!

we started his bottle at about 3 weeks - i couldnt wait any longer, he only gets one bottle a day (usually of formula at supper time but sometimes expressed milk) so i can get a break before my long night begins Laughing (crycry) i think he has been especially fussy cos of the poo situation and seems calmer today and taking more time latching on, we had no bother til recently Smile its really nice that hubby can feed him too!

PINKYD
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:32 pm 
Post subject:
it is nice for OH to feed and for us to get a break all beit a small one. mind you ava is doing great now through the night, i give her a last feed at 11pm and most nights she's lasting till 5am.

i've started a baby massage class and its great to help with poo problems, ava hasnt been for a few days so i did the tummy massage routine and within an hour it had worked, i also find eating a lot of jalapenos help Laughing
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:17 pm 
Post subject:
Laughing i drank tons of orange juice over the weekend and who knows, maybe it helped Wink

StaceyRD
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:26 pm 
Post subject:
I had leakage yesterday walking around ASDA Shocked Shocked
That hasn't happened for about two months AND I always wear pads!
But noooo. One minute I'm picking up hot chocolate, the next I look down and see a wet patch forming. HUGE embarrassment or what Rolling Eyes

Isabelle is going through stages of either snack feeding, or having huge gaps between each. She has a 9oz bottle of extra hungry SMA at 7pm then normally sleeps until between 3-5 then on til 7. Also using tommee tippee bottles.

I'm really happy with BFing all day then giving one bottle - Isabelle is SO happy (and heavy!!!) so I'm definately doing right. And I seriously wouldn't have a clue how to express. I was worried from day one about affecting my supply, and I made sure that didn't scare me into doing anything like express or give a bottle, I decided that by myself.
Babe doesn't have a dummy, but 7 times out of 10 will sleep cuddling her blankie. She doesn't have confusion at all though, never has. She was a pro at BF from day one, I'm very lucky!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to:  

Community

Popular