Caffeine and Breasfeeding

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:21 pm 
Post subject: Caffeine and Breasfeeding
I've read conflicting information as to whether drinking tea/coffee affects the sleep pattern of your LO if breastfeeding.

What is other peoples experience of this? Do you think having tea/coffee made your baby harder to settle to sleep? No matter WHAT I do, Noah will not sleep before 11pm at night, even if he hasn't slept since 3pm in the afternoon. I have tried everything, and whilst i don't drink a great deal of caffeine, I have to have the odd cuppa as i'm currently only getting 2-3 hours sleep a night it to keep ME going! I'll give it up completely though if it's affecting Noah (who I don't think sleeps anywhere near enough as he should for his age)

(Sorry to post in general, but i didn't know where to post and i'm desperate for some answers AND the advice is more general advice for me rather than asking what to do about getting Noah to sleep).

Thanks everyone! xxx

Chunky87
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:05 pm 
Post subject:
some days i have a few cuppas and others i have none at all and i dont find it affects my lo at all.
I think it's more coffee and high caffeine drinks that affect the milk to be honest,i can't see a few cuppas affecting it.
When your lo does eventually go down how long does he sleep for?Many people are suprised at the fact that some babies stay awake a lot more than others.
how often is he feeding ??

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

I drink about 3-5 coffees/teas a day and it has never affected my little guy.

I watched a program on the baby channel and they were saying that what you eat or drink very minimally affects the breast milk including alcohol and caffeine.

Terri xx

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:10 pm 
Post subject:
Chunky87 wrote:
some days i have a few cuppas and others i have none at all and i dont find it affects my lo at all.
I think it's more coffee and high caffeine drinks that affect the milk to be honest,i can't see a few cuppas affecting it.
When your lo does eventually go down how long does he sleep for?Many people are suprised at the fact that some babies stay awake a lot more than others.

When he DOES go down, he normally is down for 2 hours (this is typical through the night). At the moment, he will sleep 11pm - 1am, 2am - 4am, 5am - 7am. Then he'll catnap for half an hour at about 9am, and then have a 2 hour sleep in the afternoon, normally at about 2pm. Therefore, he's only sleeping 8.5 hours a day. During the day, he'll feed every 1 to 2 hours. Sometimes more. He is a BIG boy (he put on 9oz during the first 11 days of his life, and has continued to gain almost a pound a week, so I know he IS hungry and not using my boob for comfort).

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:16 pm 
Post subject:
Chunky87 wrote:

When he DOES go down, he normally is down for 2 hours (this is typical through the night). At the moment, he will sleep 11pm - 1am, 2am - 4am, 5am - 7am. Then he'll catnap for half an hour at about 9am, and then have a 2 hour sleep in the afternoon, normally at about 2pm. Therefore, he's only sleeping 8.5 hours a day. During the day, he'll feed every 1 to 2 hours. Sometimes more. He is a BIG boy (he put on 9oz during the first 11 days of his life, and has continued to gain almost a pound a week, so I know he IS hungry and not using my boob for comfort).

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

I don't want to daunt you but Oliver fed ever 1-2 hours for the first 3 months and still feeds and sleeps a little like this -

7am feed
9am feed
9:30am cat nap (30mins - 1hr)
11:30am feed
1:30pm feed
2:00pm cat nap (30 mins or so)
4:00pm feed
6:00pm feed
7:00pm bath, feed, story, bed
(11:30pm feed, sometimes, not every night)
3:30am feed
5:30am feed

So basically at 5 months he is still quite demanding! Wouldn't have it any other way (it'd be nice if he slept through a bit more though!).

Terri xx

Chunky87
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
has he always been like this?
sounds about right to me (the frequent feeding)
with regards to his sleep,as long as he seems happy and content then i'd say he's getting enough.
My son is terrible for fighting his sleep,and went from sleeping a fair bit in the day to just quick catnaps.It takes quite a while to get him to go down,and when he does he doesn't sleep long.
As long as your baby seems content i wouldnt worry, i know its tiring but it wont last forever, you just have to kind of stumble through it!
Before you know it you will be presented with a different challenge!
Kids love to keep us guessing!

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:39 pm 
Post subject:
Well that's just it - he doesn't seem very happy/content. He is often cranky and the ONLY thing that stops him crying is cuddles from me, or walking around (he loves to see what's going on around him - if i sit in the same place for too long he screams but when i stand up and walk him round he's fine). He DOES fight his sleep and will sometimes scream blue murder in the evening. a cuddle from me will soothe him, often to sleep but for no more than 5 mins in my arms.

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

Oliver used to do all of that too but it will change I promise, once baby gets to about 3 months. Oliver only started his bedtime routine about 6 weeks ago when he was 3 and a half months.

Don't lose heart, it gets easier, promise.

Terri xx

Chunky87
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:50 pm 
Post subject:
i have to agree with Teri..it does get easier,you just have to perservere with them.
i know it can be ever so frustrating when they wont sleep and you know they are tired!
Sorry i dont have a solution for you other than to dig in and wait it out!
Sounds to me as though you are doing a fantastic job,he's putting on weight really well,i hope you are proud of yourself!!

JafflePie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi just to add to what others have said - what you eat and drink can deff pass into your milk - hence no alcohol, no medications etc. But to what extent foods affect little one depends on him - every bub is different so the only way to be sure is to cut things out and see. I have one cup of tea in the monring and maybe one or two more decaff teas in a day. I also cut out chocolate as this was a trigger from some greeny nappies early on, this might have been the caffine content but not sure - maybe the cocoa? - though much better now (thank goodness... ooo I could just eat a twirl...).

We had colic from about 6-12 weeks and about the same time as he grew out of that he also started to be less affected by my diet (less greeny nappies) but have stayed away from caffine etc. to be on the safe side. They do say to stay clear of dairy if baby has colic but I never quite managed it Sad

He used to sleep for 3 hours at a time, a bit longer at night say 11-3, and used to go to 'bed' at about 10 or 11pm. Where abouts does your baby sleep in the day - have you tried different places and putting him in different positions? Only because we used to put baby on his side for naps in the day and found he slept much better like this, also in his moses basket we had a towel which was rolled at each edge just twice, under the sheet - hard to describe but basically so he felt 'cosy' while not being dangerous or near his head (he didn't take to swaddling and still always puts his arms out of the covers Rolling Eyes )

My little one used to feed every hour or two if he was awake up to about 5 months, so it was normal for us too. He's still waking for at least one feed in the night, but we've just got past a nasty cold and some full-on teething (3 teeth in a week!) so now he's a bit more settled again we can start thinking about weaning him off that night feed.

I know how you feel and it's a hard slog - I used to looooove my sleep (still do) and can't quite believe I've not had a full night's sleep in over 9 months. But somehow it becomes the norm and I know there's no way I could do this for a second baby so we're seeing how things go for now.

Good luck and let me know if I can offer any more ideas or thoughts - not sure if the above makes much sense! - although it is getting past my bedtime Very Happy xx
Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:32 pm 
Post subject:
Awww, thanks - all 3 ofyou. You've made me feel so much better. I know i've just got to be patient and persevere. i had 2 hours sleep last night, and he's still awake now so can't see tonight being much different. Never thought it would be this hard.

DaliaJesse
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:39 pm 
Post subject:
Yes I heard a lot of conflicting information about the caffeine that it would affect the baby’s sleep and will show colic symptoms. But I love coffee a lot, I start my day with one cup of coffee in the morning without that my day is incomplete. So, to observe for any side effects in the baby I had one cup of coffee daily in the morning for 4 days luckily I didn’t observe any change in the baby’s behavior so now I am having it daily. 200mg – 300mg of caffeine content or 2-3 cups of coffee each day is recommended and safe while breastfeeding. Breastfeed your baby before having the drink and again one & half-hour after the drink so that caffeine content gets cleared. You can get more safe tips and info @ http://www.momjunction.com/articles/is-it-safe-to-drink-coffee-while-breastfeeding_0093203/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular