Adhd symptoms?????

maxine83
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:38 pm 
Post subject: Adhd symptoms?????
Hi girls just noticed this post so i thought i would ask you all on your opinion.
My son is 5 years old and i'd say for the last 6/7 months he has been showing some signs of adhd, Now i'm not sure whether they are signs of this or whether he is just a normal 5 year old.
I have noticed that in the last 2/3 months he has been lashing out at the most sillyiest things for a few example's if he is watching cartoons i normally say to him when the big hand gets to such and such thats when i turn it off and he seems ok with this untill i turn it off and then he starts throwing his weight about hitting and kicking ect. This happens on quite a few occasions to different things other than the t.v.
Also he hasn't been doing very well at school either he lacks concentration skills and i have been told on numorous occasions that he can not sit still for more than 5 mins in total and finds himself trying to get other children to go of the mat or whereever they are with him.
He doesn't like to lose either when playing games i almost feel like i have to let him win as he gets into a state and as above lashes out.

There's lots of other things that make me think that maybe it could be adhd but i was just wondering if any of you ladies had any experience with adhd or any advice welcome thankyou in advance.

pamela29
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
hi honey, the only advice i can give you is to go and see ur doctor and see what he has to say about it. if ur worried about him at school then make an appointment to see the head teacher where u can express ur views and then make a plan of action.
maxine83
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou hunny, well i've booked him an appointment for next tuesday 27th and will see where i go from there it might just be nothing but he is really hard work at the min. Thanks for asking. Didn't no you came on here?

Floop
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:06 pm 
Post subject:
In terms of his behaviour he sounds quite normal to me. Jessica is going through a very similar phase in her life and she can quickly turn and become a nightmare. Lots of sulking, winging, foot stamping is had in this house at the mo.

Concentration could be down to boredom, and possibly frustration if he is struggling then its easier for him to move on to something else.

Having said that he could be showing signs of ADHD so its good your're getting him checked out. Ill look out for a outcome as it would be interesting to find out what the dr makes of his behaviour in particular as Jessica like I said is the same at the mo.

Annoy me and I will sit on you.... and it will hurt! Smile
maxine83
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:15 pm 
Post subject:
Now then well i took him to the doc's and he said some of the syptoms do sound as if it could be adhd although they don't like to test till they are six. I have to speak to the school nurse and his nest family(Which is where he goes every morning with school to try and help him with his anger/ lashing out etc) and see if they have any worries or whether they think he hasn't progressed much.

I guess i'll just have to see how it goes and hopefully he will startand grow out of it.
I'm going to try new ways of dealing with things and hopefully there will be a change if not they can refer him at 6 which is 5 months yet.

michelletv
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:52 am 
Post subject:
Hi Maxine
Have you taken your son for testing yet. My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in grade 1. he didnt show signs of anger or lashing out. He was busy all the time and couldnt pay attention in class.
I would wait to have your son assessed, although there is no clear testing that is done for ADHD. they ask you a whole lot of questions, monitor him for awhile and then make asumptions based on that.
My son is in Grade 8 now and on concerta. ADHD children are very immature for their age group, they enjoy playing rather than doing school work, and they can be quite irritating at times. They need a very strict routine and you must be the boss from the word go! Let your son always look at you before giving instructions and ensure that he has understood what you are asking of him. Remember they can only mostly do one thing at a time, but you can teach them to do more. Brushing teeth and bathing etc must be part of a strict routine.
There is alot of information on ADHD and there is a website ADHASA which is a south african website but very informative.
God Blessxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Five Years plus All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular