Damson gin/chutney?

BabyMilly
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:35 am 
Post subject: Damson gin/chutney?
Hi

Have any of you tried making damson chutny or gin? My son has just stripped our tree and I have tonnes and not sure what to do with them they'll be going off soon!
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:29 am 
Post subject:
my nana used to make jams and chutneys out of damsons plums etc they were fab unfortunatly i dont remember how to do it!! i just remember lots of jars lids sugar tons of fruit and a very big pan !! theres lots of recipies on the net tho for som very tasty sounding ones!! if i could find my nanas recipie books i could give you some recipies but im still unpacking 2 months after moving!!! let me know how it goes though,if you have enough why not mae some cumbles or pies and freeze them?
NIx1972
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:11 pm 
Post subject:
damson gin (or sloe gin or raspberry vodka or blackberry whisky)
Very Happy we made some of these last weekend!
In a 750ml bottle of spirit (drink about 250ml first - get OH/ MIL/ FIL to help)
add about 4 fingers depth of fruit, pierce fruits like sloes and damsons first with a skewer.
Add granulate sugar to fill the bottle. Screw cap back on and shake well.
Leave fruit in the bottle for minimum of 6 weeks, shaking/ turning the bottle daily.
Should be ready to drink just as bubs appears in december Very Happy

as for chutney - try:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/chutney/spiced-damson-chutney.html

as I've never known a delia recipe to fail Smile

Nix x

BabyMilly
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Well thanks girls!

I have the plums in the freezer and a bottle of gin at the ready, Im definitly going to do this at the weekend. Im not to keen on mil so maybe I wont share Smile
Yes our plan is to drink it at Christmas, I'll raise a glass to you as I get sozzled!

Good luck with the baby!

I will try delia (come to think of it I have a few of her books).
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:31 pm 
Post subject:
ps Babymakes5 yes I will try a crumble or two - we have millions of the things
xx
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
how fab i did think of sloe gin my friends mum used to make that and keep it in her wardrobe to mature as she would say!! but only knowing how to drink gin (he he he cant wait for a glass of g n t) i didnt realise thats what sloe gin was made from thought it was sloes are they one in the same?? xx i may have to make apple crumble for the others and rhubarb one for me they hate rhubarb shame that!!! lol xx will be thinking of you having a lovely drink of gin at xmas i guess i will stick with bombay saphire xx
babymakes5
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:54 am 
Post subject:
hi hows the gin and baking comming along? am very interested how it turns out i fancy giving it a go x
NIx1972
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:30 am 
Post subject:
My Sloe gin, raspberry vodka and blackberry whisky are all turning lovely colours in their bottles Smile only another 4-5 weeks until they are ready!

Picked another 2kg of sloes on the coast path yesterday - so will be making more after I've bought more gin Very Happy

How's the damson's getting on?

Nix

xx

NIx1972
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:32 am 
Post subject:
ps babymakes5, sloes and damsons are different, sloes taste disgusting unless made into gin (or vodka) and Damsons are much bigger x

babymakes5
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:39 am 
Post subject:
ah there you go i wasnt sure im a cake, pudding making girl but depending on how your gin turns out may have a go at that, although when i get time i do like to cook from scratch!! do keep us updated hoping it will turn out fab so i can pinch your recipies from you lol!!! take care xx
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular