33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 27
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:36 pm 
Post subject: where would you prefer to give birth?
with homebirth on the increase im just wondering what ur opinions are??

do u feel safer in the hospital?
do u see childbirth as an experience that should be enjoyed at home and theres no need for the 'medicalised' impression that there has been over the years where women are told they must deliver in hospital.
have u been given the option as to wheher u can deliver at home or were u told u would delver in hospital???
sooooo many questions!!!

i delivered in hospital - wasnt giiven the choice. and at the time i assumed that was the only option.
now i know other wise and i definitly consider home birth next time
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:03 am 
Post subject:
Ive been back and forth with this one, i wanted to be at home so i was comfortable and without other women there, but me and my partner have now decided we should have our first in hospital, just incase anything goes wrong. I think i/he will feel safer there.

I would like my second to be at home though... Look at me i havent had one yet and im planning for the next one! Very Happy xx
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:10 am 
Post subject:
but wot could go wrong???
if uvehad no high risk signs theres no reason why u couldnt gve birth at home. and also if ur mdwife or consultant didnt feel it was safe they wouldnt agree for u o deliver at home.

my OH is not fussed on me having a home birth at all, but i'll try and talk hi round. Laughing
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:29 pm 
Post subject:
True........... Oh well done now i dont know again Rolling Eyes

i will have to have another think Laughing
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:27 pm 
Post subject:
sorry!!! Shocked

its true thouh sweetheart, if you want a home birth yuor midwife will not alow it if she thinks there is risk. think back to years and years ago, most women gave birth at home.

you wont be alone, you'll have your community midwife and her asistant - this may be another midwife or a maternity support worker who will come out when you ring and tell her you're in labour. weeks before youre due they drop off all the essential equipment at your home - this will include gas and air, the deliery packs - sterile equipment, etc.
and its proven that women who give birth at home have less complications, are more relaxed and cope better.
obviously whatever decision u choose to make will be the right 1 for you. but i just think why medicalise child birth?

anyway, i'll shut up now Laughing Laughing
Rosalyn
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:51 am 
Post subject:
<i> id say hospital as this would be my first baby but after my first i would like to have my baby at home but i think id be too scared to go through the birth at home for my first.
Slacky
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:13 pm 
Post subject:
I chose to have my first child in hospital 4 months ago. Even though it was in hospital I didn't feel that it was 'medicalised'. It was all very natural: I was very comfortable and relaxed and didn't have to worry about what might happen if there were any complications. I did have to have stitches, so if I'd had a home birth I'd have had to go into hospital anyway.

The atmosphere of the maternity ward was great and the midwives were so good, especially for a first baby when you're having to ask so many questions and be reassured about things fairly frequently! My ideal would be to have my next child at home, but I think I would still opt for hospital just incase there were any complications. Of my 6 friends who all had babies at the same time as me, I was the only one who had a straightforward delivery, so personally I would er on the side of caution and choose hospital so as to be better safe than sorry! As I said, my personal experience of the maternity ward was excellent, but this is in Guernsey. I don't know how the NHS or hospitals in England would compare.
missanimal
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 am 
Post subject:
I really wish I could have a home water birth and I would consider it if I didnt hate my horrible flat so much! If I am able to move hose before the birth then I will def consider this as an option. I really want a water birth but dont know yet if my hospital can offer this. Sad
IrishMammy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:49 am 
Post subject: Re: where would you prefer to give birth?
CurlyTots wrote:
with homebirth on the increase im just wondering what ur opinions are??

do u feel safer in the hospital?
do u see childbirth as an experience that should be enjoyed at home and theres no need for the 'medicalised' impression that there has been over the years where women are told they must deliver in hospital.
have u been given the option as to wheher u can deliver at home or were u told u would delver in hospital???
sooooo many questions!!!

i delivered in hospital - wasnt giiven the choice. and at the time i assumed that was the only option.
now i know other wise and i definitly consider home birth next time

I am 39 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I am having a planned home birth. I only live 15 mins from the hospital should anything go wrong (fingers crossed they dont) and so feel that I am not putting myself or the baby at risk with having my first at home. My community midwife was very supportive. As long as there is nothing wrong with the pregnancy eg high blood pressure throughout or anythig like that then anyone can have a home birth. I am having a home birth for many reasons one being that if I go into labour and have the baby at night if I was in hospital my partner would be sent home for the night which I dont agree with at all and also you get to be in the comforts of your own home. All in all it depends on what each individual wants but the good news is that home births as just as safe as a hospital birth as long as you and your baby are in good health. Good luck to all the Mammy's to be xxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S Just to let you know I had to ask for a home birth I wasn't given an option and the midwife didn't mention it so if you are thinking of having a home birth the best place to look is: http://www.aims.org.uk/ it gives you all the information you need to obtain a home birth!!!
KerrBare
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:53 am 
Post subject:
Home Birth!!!

I have 4 kids and 1 on the way, had 3 in hospital...they are teens now and home births weren't very well known back in the late 80's, early 90's. My youngest is almost 2 and I had her at home...it was amazing. I am due with this one in June and we are scheduled for another home birth and I am so excited. I have to say that my home birth was relaxing and comfortable which led to aan easy, fairly quick labour and delivery. I was able to eat, drink, walk, sleep, whenever I wanted to....the labour went my way with a midwife there to attend to ONLY me!!!!!! My kids were able to be present for the birth and within hours after my dd's delivery, I was able to shower and eat lunch with my family and then take a nap!!!! DH, delivered our little girl into the world with the guidance of the midwife...while she attended to me, another midwife attended to baby!!! It was the most amazing experience ever!!!
cardea
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:23 pm 
Post subject: babys
Hi ! As it is my first baby i am going to have a hospital delivery as i do not know what to expect with the pain etc. However, when i looked around the delivery suite last week on a tour i was a bit shocked at how clinical it all looked. I would definately feel more comfortable being at home in my own enviroment with a water pool and candles, music and incencse ( yes, i am a hippy ! ) I am thinking that if this birth goes with no complications, maybe the next one will be a home delivery. !
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:42 pm 
Post subject:
were having a homebirth this time. this is our 3rd and the last 2 were hospital and pretty straight forward.
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:08 pm 
Post subject:
after the birth, when baby is just born, do they still do the same checks at home? and check for abnormalties internally as well as on the out side??? would checks like these still be carried out the same at a home birth????

thanks kimberley xo
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:09 pm 
Post subject:
after the birth, when baby is just born, ,.............lol!!! how stupid do i sound there??? just realised when i read over it!!! lol!! Embarassed Very Happy
KerrBare
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:21 pm 
Post subject:
Quote:
after the birth, when baby is just born, do they still do the same checks at home? and check for abnormalties internally as well as on the out side??? would checks like these still be carried out the same at a home birth????

thanks kimberley xo

Yes...but they don't wisk the baby away. mom and dad get to bond for a bit before they do all the checks, weighing, measuring and so on. then baby is handed back to you. it is a very relaxed enviroment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular