8 weeks pregnant - fiance help please help us we are confuse

nate24nate
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 pm 
Post subject: 8 weeks pregnant - fiance help please help us we are confuse
hi

my partner and i are having our first baby .... we are well excited and very scared at the same time.

we are weighing up our finance options.

my partner earns 25k a year and i am working for a recruitment agency and look to be out of a job when they know i am pregnant

please please please could some one give us advice on what benefits we are entitled to when we can get them and what we have to do to get them.

we know that if we were both not working we would be entitled to the world and its dog, but as we are both hard working people we know that we are going to get shafted. please could someone help ..

thanks for your time . .

exciting times ahead woohooo .......
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy.

I don't know a lot about benefits, my hubby and I get pretty much nothing as we both have good jobs, although you do still get child benefit.

Your work can't sack you though for being pregnant, there are laws about that.

LD

nate24nate
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:11 pm 
Post subject: advice
my partners job is not that well paid she wants to know is it worth not working and claiming

or could she go part time and her pay be supplimented....

are we going to get screwed due to my partner earning over 25k a year

it is very very worrying, that we are not going to be able to afford to live with all mortgage anr house bills . .

we a re a bit scared . .
snoopy21
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:17 pm 
Post subject:
http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

The above website is brilliant!! Just go through it a few times filling in different figures for the next few months eg do one for if you were unemployed and prengnant and then redo it as if baby is born and you are unemployed or PT or FT. It gives you exact figures and suggests benefits you could apply for Very Happy
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:21 pm 
Post subject:
oh and by benefits I mean CTC and WTC aswell. They might be more than you think
nate24nate
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:25 pm 
Post subject: advice
whats ctc = child tax credits wtc = working tax credits

if my fiancee does not go back to work in january

as over oct nov her agancy lay her off and re emply her in january till oct ish

if she does not go back to work what would she be entitled to ???
snoopy21
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 pm 
Post subject:
Yes WTC is working tax credit & CTC child tax credit. You cant claim CTC until baby is born and WTC you are usually again only entitled to (depending on income) after baby is born, some very low earners over 25 & working over 30 hrs are entitled to it without having kids.

Your entitlement to any benefits will be calculated as a couple (if you live together). If she does not go back to work she could apply for job seekers allowance. Her entitlement to this depends on what you earn eg if you earn over a certain amount it is expected that your income will support her to as it is based on household income. She would also have to prove that she is looking for work (basically commit to going to jobcentre once a fortnight & telling them she has looked in papers but nothing suitable if she really doesnt want to work). At this stage she would not qualify for income support as she has no caring responsibilities and should be fit to work at present.

Its important that your fiancee has worked 26 out of the 66 weeks before your LO's due date as this will make her entitled to Maternity Allowance of around 120 a week once baby is born. (Im nearly sure this isnt related to your income but double check).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869

I cant say exactly what she would be entitled to but most of the benefits dont apply until after baby is born & depend greatly on your income. Check out govt websites.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular