weaning and prem babies

lucyat
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:54 am 
Post subject: weaning and prem babies
Just wondering when others weaned their premature babies, my twins are 20wks old and just dont seem interested in milk at all they constantly play about with it throught the day sometimes only taking 3ozs and therefore need feeding through the nite, this isnt a problem but it gets a bit much when they wont settle after 3am and are up every hour Sad just wondering if weaning would settle them more??

Any advice please??
Thanks
Lucy
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 pm 
Post subject:
i weaned georgia at 17 weeks she played about with milk and wasnt bothered with it.

cailin09
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
I think it depends on the babies, I didnt wean my son till he was 8 months old. He was 10 wks early so corrected age was about 6 months old anyway.

EllaAngel
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:29 pm 
Post subject:
My lil boy was born at 30 wks and from day one wasn't interested in milk. I weaned him at 12 wks(2wks corrected) my nurse said he would have ADHD and be a slow learner because of it but he was starving and distressed so I went ahead. He is 3 yrs old now, in playschool, over average height and could buy and sell us all!!! Myself and my 3 brothers were all weaned by 6 wks too and have no problems!

Hope this helps,]

All the best!
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:40 pm 
Post subject:
i actually learned the other day that they say wean at 6 months because the believe due to research that if u do it before it cud create problems later in life but i dunno wot.

cailin09
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:13 pm 
Post subject:
Laura I think its with their bowls as until around 'weaning time' they arent fully formed and if you feed them solids too early it may cause problems.

Friends of mine fed their ds solids from about 17 wks, I am not talking baby rice etc, I mean stuff like potatoes, canned sausage & spagitti and once in Lakeside chips & popcorn chicken. For ages after he had problems going to the loo, had desperate craps and cried when he tried to go to the loo.....which was twice a week on a good week Shocked
She admitted on her 2nd that she fed the 1st way to young and waited till 7 months on her second.

EllaAngel
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 am 
Post subject:
Why do people do that???? My sister-in-law did exactly the same when her first was 6 months old and the food had lumps that big he was almost choking, for nearly a yr after all that poor child would touch was soup!

I personally believe tiny portions of smooth rice are harmless, but its not for everyone!
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 pm 
Post subject:
we weaned james at 10 weeks so that would make him 5/6 weeks ish. he was so much happier! One doc said to us he couldn't officially recommend it but he would do that if he were us x
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:02 pm 
Post subject:
To be honest they change their minds about the right age so often I just went with my instinct , when I had my first 23yrs ago they said 3 months and now they say 6 months , but I know none of mine would have waited so long , not even my last who is now 8 and was seven weeks prem , but I never gave mine "adult " food because of all the additives and used to make my own babyfood with fresh ingredients , I usually started around 4 months even with my prem baby (but he was 5lb 12 ozs at 7 weeks early and caught up very quickly )but I let my babies appetite be my guide and always let them get used to one food at a time so I could see if there were any problems with certain foods .I always found that if they started to wake at night again it was a sign they were ready for something more than milk Smile
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:59 pm 
Post subject:
yer i understand wot ur saying weaning ur baby at 4 months with bits of baby rice is ok but sausage popcorn chicken etc is wrong.

Jennijen
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 am 
Post subject:
Hi

My son was 11 weeks early and the paediatrician advised us to wean him when he was about 22 weeks which is 11 weeks corrected age, he was showing all the signs and she said with prem babies they often won't wait till 6 months.
I just stuck to fruit and veg and rice etc till he was 6 months actual then I gave him everything! He is thriving and loves his food still now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Premature Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular