horse riding

Eled
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:34 pm 
Post subject: horse riding
does anyone out there have horses? are you still riding??
GGmommy
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:29 pm 
Post subject:
I have horses and i have only just discovered i am preganant....at least i think that i am! The line was very feint on the test but then i cant remember when my period is due so i could be early!!!
I am still doing all my yard duties at the moment but i have not ridden since i found out - i have a thoroughbred who is very green and i am so scared that if i fall off then i am going to be in trouble. Thing is though that i dont know anyone else who can keep him exercised for me and we dont have a school so it means hacking or boxing him to a yard with a school! Not sure what to do...what are you thinking? Are you still riding??? Confused
gingin
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:17 pm 
Post subject:
hi guys, i have a selle francais TB ex eventer - who isnt a novice ride and has fantastic tantrums on bad days !! Oddly enough i rode in December when i would have just got pregnant - Val was a tit to say the least and twice i jumped off which i would never normally do - i had no idea i was pregnant so i can only assume its my subconscience - certainly the first trimester is when you do have to be careful - I usually turn him away in the winter months anyway - due to weather light etc - now i have had my first scan i will wait until the weather gets a bit milder and then i will have a go - i dont think he will do anything to hurt me but you know what its like - it just takes a dog or a plastic bag in the wrong place or some idiotic driver & its drama !!
I am doing all my duties though as i have him at home - hes always been so easy to handle anyway -
but my theory is - its 8 months - and if he doesnt do much in that time - so what - i can be back on board a month after babs is here and normal business will be resumed - in the big scheme of things your safetly is paramount - time to knock the selfish stuff on the head - but you know girls who ride (the ones who have sensible horses) always have a better time in labour thanks to our pelvic muscles so i hope to ride at least a bit until month 4/5
would love to hear your thoughts?
g
izzy0308
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:40 pm 
Post subject:
The pelvic muscle thing sounds fab. Wish i rode now! lol =)
GGmommy
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
I'm like you i guess, really want to start riding, but just a bit nervous! My horse has been off work for the last 12 months due to illness, only just got him back from hospital. I took him out for the most lovely hack a couple of weeks ago before i knew i was pregnant and had such a lovely time. But he was so lively and i did nearly come off - would just upset me so much if i lost the baby through falling off! But at the same time i am desperate to get back in the saddle now he is fit! We dont have a school at the yard, its only small and i think that i would be mush happier riding in a school with him as it is safe but a hack is full of scary things that are out to kill him.....obviously!!! Rolling Eyes
The other problem i have is excuses that i need to find! I dont want to tell my family just yet as it is really early but i am running out of excuses for the yard owner as to why i'm not riding every time she invites me on a hack! Cant tell her and not my mom - she would be sooo upset if she wasnt the first to know!
gingin
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:53 pm 
Post subject:
Thats a tricky one - we told both our mums as soon as we knew - figured as long as they knew no-one else mattered
U know last yr my other half said "i dont want u riding that horse when your pregnant" at the time i was furious - you know nothing comes between us girls and our neddies - anyway now other half has seen me riding a fair bit and has seen Valley warts and all hes the one saying "when are you going to ride the damn thing" ironically now its me thats backing off - if anything happened i would never forgive myself and so i am going to wait for weather to get a bit better - its still cold in sweden 2/3 degrees today & Val is looking well on the outside so i know what hes feeling on the inside - i did lunge him last week and he was full of it - i just kept thinking cant ride him in that state - we are having a sand school built in the summer but it will be too late for me then
my horse is 13 now i have had him 9 years, when i got him he chucked me off and i broke my arm clean couldnt ride for 4 mths !!
You know i think its a myth about horses having time off - it doesnt do them any harm especially if he is recovering- if hes had a bad year of problems it wont do him any harm to take it easy while your pregnant - dont listen to those horsey peops who know it all - he can be lunged & loose schooled too - cut down his feed make sure there nothing excitable in it and just see how it goes -
if i had a plod around the block - the sane and sensible type i would definatley be riding - but my horse and his history - this baby is too important and being 37 but clock is ticking so to speak so am not taking any risks
depends what your plans are with him etc too - do you compete ? etc
valley wont let anyone else ride him - well he will but the results have been lets say scary - hes a mommies boy and so its me or no-one
I dont compete so as long as hes well fed etc i am relaxed !
xx
Eled
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:23 pm 
Post subject:
well I am riding my mare - she is 19 I have owned her all her life and she is 100% as far as any horse can be. I took her for a hack this morning and she was fine but she is a little puzzled I think about the lack of speed and the limited exercise - she is raring to go! I normally also ride a Welsh D who I brought on last year - I have given him up as he is green and still hard work - cant really relax on him - have told his owner and told him I will be back after D day! still mucking out every day and looking after her so dont feel too much of a blob. I am expecting twins so expect I will get too huge to ride later on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular