40 and ttc no 3

webby1
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:20 am 
Post subject: 40 and ttc no 3
Hi
Hope you don't mind me posting on this thread.
I'm 40 (41 in may). my DH had a vasectomy 14 years ago and we have just had a reversal done. Unfortunately just before Christmas there was bad news..no sperm in his SA.
We were down for a while but am now fighting back and looking into IVF.
Slightly scared at the prospect of another one after 18 years (two older boys are 18 and 20) and am also a nanny, but can't think of anything worse than not being able to have what we both want so much.
Just thought it would be great to talk to people of a similar age in the same situation.
x
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi I will be 41 in Feb and we have been trying for nearly 6 months. Oh is going to register at docs tomorrow so that we can see if they will do any tests to see if I am ovulating or he has any useful sperm. We won't get more help than that as I already have 4 children. Good luck, it would be nice to see a bit more activity on this part of the forum and more support between those of us oldies(!) who are ttc.

webby1
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Lankylass

Hope you and your OH get on OK at the docs tomorrow.
I've had my 21 day progesterone test done, FSH and one other which I can never remember the name of.
I'm booked in on Thursday for a pelvic ultra sound and AMH level test (this tells them what the reserve of eggs are like.
DH has had one SA *which as i said before showed no sperm and is booked in for a second on 8th and then a 3rd on 12/2. He is also seeing a urologist following his op.
Hope the tests that we have had/having done will give you a guide to what they can do.
We are also being referred to the local fatility clinic and they ask for all these to be done before they will advise on what treatment can be given.
Us like you can not get any help from the NHS but have decided to go private (pooled together all our savings).
Good luck again and keep me posted.
x
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:47 pm 
Post subject:
All oh did was collect forms from doc to register so have to get him back there in the week to kick it all off. I am going this month if we ahve had no luck again as it will be six months. We don't have the kind of savings you need for ivf so if we can't concieve naturally then that's it for us. Our time limit is May as I am worried about being an older mum but I might well give it a bit longer and my oh longs to be a dad, is a fantastic stepdad and I really want to be able to give him a baby.

webby1
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:58 pm 
Post subject:
As DH appears not to be producing any sperm we have no choice but to go for IVF. I am 40 but DH is 45, 46 later this month.
We have given ourselves until August 2011 so that if we are lucky and do manage to conceive he will be about 48 by the time it is here.
How old is your OH.
Hope everything goes OK with your visits.
x
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm 
Post subject:
My OH is 38 so younger, but lost a testicle when he had hernia op a few years ago. Sperm test at time said all was ok but things could have changed since then! Am trying to pluck up courage to go to doc and ask for tests. AF due next Mon or Wed depending on how long cycle is this month so am planning to go then and ask for joint app the following week when OH is on earlies. Not sure I am brave enough to keep trying til next year, am very worried about being older mum. Sad

webby1
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:03 pm 
Post subject:
I know it's a worry being an older mum but your as old as you feel. I know our bodies are gettingolder and stats are against us with getting pregnan even by IVF (I was quoted 10% chance today) but I don't feel any differnet now physically than I did when I had my first 20 years ago. In fact I think i'm better equipt now emotionally I have more knowledge and patiance.
Good luck with your appointments next week keep us informed.
X
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies,

I hope you dont mind me dropping into your chat. I am 38 soon to be 39 and my oh is 35. I was lucky enough to find a great man when I was a bit older. We waited till we were married to ttc and also my oh was on a type of chemo drug thats not good when ttc. We had a mc within 3 months trying when I was 37. Nothing happened since then and after 6 months trying again nothing had happened so we started having tests done.

My only bit of advise is to go and see your GP's. Hopefully they are good but they will organise Day 21 and Day 2 bloods for you which will show whether you are ovulating and what your fertility levels are. Its very scary doing it but it means that if there is a problem it can be dealt with as at our ages we cannot really mess around when ttc. I got quite a shock to recently find out that my ovarian reserve is low as my fertility is bombing (bit premature to other ladies from what I can make out so dont panic!!!) but I still can get nhs IVF funding.

Good luck and its never too late!!

Teresa x
webby1
Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:32 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for this Teresa.
Have had my day 21 tests done and shows a good level, so am definately still ovulating, FSH level is good too. Just hadmy AMH test done and viringal scan on Thursday, still waiting for results of test but scan showed that one ovary is bigger than the other so they are looking into that. GP has been great about the tests but can not seems to get the IVF referral to the right place keeps sending it to Gyne.
Normally I could understand this (to keep checking everything with me is OK for normal fertility) but yesterday they confirmed that my DH still has no sperm Sad so IVF is the only way forward for us as we will have to have sperm asperation.
Just feel that time is running out as 41 in May and DH is 46 later this month. IVF clinic has told us there is a 5 month waiting list following referral which can take up to 2 months so we are talking 7 months after they receive the letter of referral which just doesn't seem to be getting there.
Sorry to rant and for a long post, only got the bad news yesterday so still a bit raw.
x
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:05 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Webby - had our visit to doc today and she has ordered 21 day blood test for me and swabs to rule out infection plus a sperm test for OH. Once we get these results it's up to us whether or not we have more tests or leave things to chance so will wiat and see for now.

webby1
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:26 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Lankylass

Good luck with the tests, keep us posted how you get on.
Got our first referral appoinment on Friday for the IVF clinic and then hopfully get the results of my AMH test.

Best wishes

Lisa
x
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:32 pm 
Post subject:
Good luck with that, hope you get some speedy answers. x

teresa1
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
HI Webby,

I am sure you are on the other sites here but the information other ladies give about sperm retreival etc is really great. Are they going to do further tests on your oh? If you are ovulating and your FSH is ok thats the main battle as they can surgically retrieve your oh's sperms and they only need one of his to fertilise your egg.

Diet and all the rest plays a big part too as I'm sure you know but I would make sure you get all of the tests done you need. IF you are over 39 NHS will not fund ivf for you so there may be some costs involved fo you and oh.

Good luck
x
webby1
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:53 pm 
Post subject:
Hi teresa

They will not do any further tests on DH as the second SA also showed no sperm. We will definitely need sperm retrieval now. We have been offered three different types so just trying to get to grips with which one is best.
Unfortunately as DH already has 2 boys and I am 40 the NHS will not fund our IVF so there is a cost implication of about 5000. Will be worth it if it works, just got to keep positive which is very difficult a lot of the time.
I have had most of the tests done that I need and they show that my ovulation is good but I am still waiting for my AMH results which still haven't come in.

Thanks for all the info
Lisa
x
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Lisa,

It definately is difficult as when you want to have a child everything else tends to come second in importance. Its great that your levels are all good as it means that once you have had sperm retrieval the chances of IVF working are really good!! Can I ask what your FSH level is? Luckily I have just scraped through and have gotten 3 rounds of NHS funded IVF. My oh has low morphology so to me this is the only way we can have a chance of getting pregnant. Mind you I fell naturally before christmas which was a real surprise...unfortunately I had an early miscarriage which meant a bit of a [*@!#%*] holiday.

Good luck. We were going to pay privately for ivf and the cost was about 7k so 5k sounds good!! Not ideal of course but I think its better to not have any regrets in life and like me you would probably sit in 5 yrs time and regret not doing everything to get what you want.

X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Older Parents All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular