elephants
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
lalena wrote:
Angelnandrew wrote:

yeah, i have a few of that type, a couple by cathy glass (cut, damaged; i had to stop reading damaged at one point, i felt so sick and was bawling my eyes out Crying or Very sad ) whos a foster carer, and some by torey hayden, whos a special needs type teacher/therapist. two very special women to do what they do, helping mistreated kids find some sense of normality Crying or Very sad

i have read all the cathy glass books they are heart breaking yet endearing, i have just finished "the girl in the mirror" which is a the first novel type book she has done and it was brilliant, i tend to find with her books i read them within two days as i literally cant put them down Very Happy I want to read a humour book next if anyone has any suggestions??
MummyAndPeppaPig
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 pm 
Post subject:
Ah yay for you Claire Very Happy

I can recommend Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella, it is so funny and I read it in three days I couldnt put it down Embarassed Laughing
Also another Sophie must read is, Can you keep a secret, it is a proper laugh out loud book!
Iv asked for Mini Shopaholic for xmas as I am in love with the whole Shopaholic series!

Im currently in the middle of a true life book about a boys experiences in an Irish Catholic school but Im struggling to get into it as he is using a lot of Irish slang so I keep getting lost!

Lalena, Tory Hayden is my heroine I have read all her books she is such an amazing lady!
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:18 pm 
Post subject:
Im in.... I have loads of books to read so I will find one lol Very Happy

Annoy me and I will sit on you.... and it will hurt! Smile
tashamo3
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:19 pm 
Post subject:
Jane Greens babyville is fantastic i started reading it at 11 am and couldnt ut it down and actually read it through the night lol, i also loved my best friends gir by dorothy koomson i read anything by jane green, adele parks, belida jones and lots more i just love to read but i highly recommend babyville Smile
lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:53 am 
Post subject:
tashamo3 wrote:
Jane Greens babyville is fantastic i started reading it at 11 am and couldnt ut it down and actually read it through the night lol, i also loved my best friends gir by dorothy koomson i read anything by jane green, adele parks, belida jones and lots more i just love to read but i highly recommend babyville Smile

all her books that ive read are fab, spellbound, jemima j, mr maybe as well as babyville Very Happy have to replace my copy of babyville though, i lent it to someone and after a year i suspect shes adopted it Laughing
you tried marian keyes? her debut novel (god, many many years ago now Embarassed ) watermelon was brilliant.
ilovemybabies, shes such an inspiration isnt she? i couldnt do what she does, i mean she gets these damaged children, and even though shes working under such constraints still does what she can, even though the kids are only with her while the school board says so (well, aside from the rich ones). Crying or Very sad it would break my heart to start making progress then have the class shut down, the kids just scattered where ever they can be found places in mainstream schools Crying or Very sad
ClairaBell
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 am 
Post subject:
I have read a few Torey hayden books. I do like Sophie Kinsella. my favourite one of hers is 'Remember me?'. I laughed all the way through!

Now, with Jodi Picoult I have recently finished her latest book 'House Rules'. Managed to get it from the library. And I think its one of my favourites of her books, along with 19 minutes. Very Happy Although I really enjoyed Change of Heart. x
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:03 am 
Post subject:
I've just finishd reading "Hannah" by Hannah Hawkswell and Barry Cockcroft. Hannah is a spinster lady who shot to fame in the 70s when Yorkshire TV (Producer Barry Cockroft) did a series about her. She lives in a remote house in the high Pennines with no electricity, no telephone, no water (she has to carry it from a stream), no heating, and was surviving on 5 a week which included feed for her cattle. She was born in 1926 and is still alive. The book depicts how the TV series changed her life (for the better) but it is also very moving.

ClairaBell
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:36 am 
Post subject:
Corrie, that sounds great. I might have to try that one. x
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:13 pm 
Post subject:
MummyAndPeppaPig wrote:
Ah yay for you Claire Very Happy

I can recommend Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella, it is so funny and I read it in three days I couldnt put it down Embarassed Laughing
Also another Sophie must read is, Can you keep a secret, it is a proper laugh out loud book!
Iv asked for Mini Shopaholic for xmas as I am in love with the whole Shopaholic series!

Im currently in the middle of a true life book about a boys experiences in an Irish Catholic school but Im struggling to get into it as he is using a lot of Irish slang so I keep getting lost!

Lalena, Tory Hayden is my heroine I have read all her books she is such an amazing lady!

am going to library tomorrow to try and find sophie kinsella books!
babymakes5
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:16 pm 
Post subject:
hi ladies i love to read when i get the time i love true stories and crime and thrillers (sometimes the odd jilly cooper thrown in aswell lol!!) my fave writer is lisa jackson although she is mainly a fiction writer her scarpetta series is very good and factual aswell if you like csi and criminal minds these are similar style but grip your imagination. but then i love the true autobiographys like sickened , not without my daughter, cry silent tears, where there is evil, and another book which i cant remember the title but was all about the catholic church and the magdalene laundries they ran complete with child abuse and the selling of babies right up until the 1980s, wrenched my heart to think that sort of thing went on still. all heart wrenching yet amazing stories. also true crimes like the moors murders , texas death row , women who kill that sort off stuff, maybe im a bit odd though!!! xx
StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
I am SUCH a bookworm, so great idea!

Am also reading The Time Travellers Wife, loving it. Actually forgot I had it, then read this two days ago, and now am halfway through the book. Laughing

Also reading 6 other books at the moment... Embarassed Laughing I always do it, is good so I can switch and change whenever the mood takes me.
I'm reading The Drowning Girl by Margeret Leroy, The Daughter Game by Kate Long (really enjoying it), Love Rules by Freya North, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, Hidden by Paul Jaskunas (really good), and Dreamcatcher by Stephen King (strange but really good!).

Jodi Picoult has to be right up there with my favourite authors, I think. Have read all her books. Can't give a favourite as love them all! Very Happy Also enjoyed the Dan Brown books.

Am not so keen on seeing films after books though - they never work out how I see them in my head! My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is very sad in film and book, but I found the film too hurried so lost interest part way through which is a shame.

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:20 am 
Post subject:
agree stacey Laughing i drive my oh mental watching films that ive already read as books. nooooo thats not how it went/theyve missed out a key bit/etc etc etc Embarassed
some films should NEVER have been made, like bram stokers dracula, i mean, seriously, what were they thinking?! one of my favourite books of all time, and the film was pure drivel Crying or Very sad
Theosmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm 
Post subject:
Some briliant books I have read recently:

- The Brightest Star in the Sky - Marian Keyes
- The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
- The Angel's Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- The Beach House - Jane Green
- My Sister's Keeper - Jodie Piccoult
- 19 Minutes - Jodie Piccoult
- Iris and Ruby - Rosie Thomas

I'm nearly finished my trashy book so need to go back to the library (without Theo this time!) and have a good stock up on books to snuggle up with in this cold weather.

I'm with you on the books being made into films thing - they never live up to expectations! I always watch them though cos if I've really enjoyed a book I feel gutted when I finish it so watching the film is the next best thing (if you see what I mean Confused )

NicolaOasis
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 am 
Post subject:
I'm halfway through The Brightest Star In The Sky by Marian Keyes xx
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 am 
Post subject:
I have finished The Time Travellers Wife (last night) and I just wanted to go off and cry. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad But I loved it. I just couldn't put it down. I do have another book to start but after that one I feel kinda lost. Confused Confused

The book I have now is 'Sister' by Rosamund Lupton. Hope its good. xxx
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to:  

Community

Popular