ClairaBell's Book Club

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:25 am 
Post subject:
after you guys recommending jodie picoult, i picked up 'handle with care', omg Crying or Very sad sooooo sad Crying or Very sad
after that one i think im sending stephen into the loft to bring down my terry pratchett collection, i feel in the mood for something whimsical and plain daft Laughing
babymakes5
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:49 pm 
Post subject:
just remember another book i havent read in ages but its a lovely light hearted , gigly book and you can actually see in your head the things that are happening its by deric longden called the cat who came in from the cold (and no its not all about cats but there is one in it he has a pet raisin i think it is!!!!) just a nice readable light book xx
ClairaBell
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:38 pm 
Post subject:
Just remembered some books I wanted to mention.

Especially for those ttc, but really for anyone who wants a laugh Sinead Moriarty did a trio of books: The Baby Trail, Perfect Match and From here to maternity.

They are hilarious. xxx
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
I've read those books Claire!

They are so funny! And very moving at the same time.

I ended up crying at the end of all of them Very Happy

Very highly recommended.

ClairaBell
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:17 am 
Post subject:
I end up doing that with Sophie Kinsella books to. Very Happy
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:35 pm 
Post subject:
I just wanna recommend a book I have just finished! Its called, Shadows of the workhouse. Its a true account of the workhouses in London and is written by Jennifer Worth (who wrote, Call the midwife, her true accounts of being a midwife in the London slums back in the 50s) It was very moving, some times funny and definitely touching, it had me crying a few times!
I defo recommend it to anyone who likes to read the true life books.
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:28 pm 
Post subject:
lalena wrote:
after you guys recommending jodie picoult, i picked up 'handle with care', omg Crying or Very sad sooooo sad Crying or Very sad
after that one i think im sending stephen into the loft to bring down my terry pratchett collection, i feel in the mood for something whimsical and plain daft Laughing

I read this jodie Picoult last weeks and was crying my eyes out!! I have the new Terry Pratchett on the go atm - reading it aloud to bump Smile I like the name Tiffany if it turns out to be a girl as a result of this Smile

I love crime and thriller stuff too - especially kathy reichs "bones" series and Scarpetta books.
Another series I can really recommend is the millenium trilogy by karl Larsson - crime drama/ thriller - but loved them! Starts with The girl with the dragon tattoo.

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:46 pm 
Post subject:
Laughing cant beat terry can you? ive not got anywhere near his full collection though, lots to catch up with Sad just reread small gods and am currently rereading feet of clay Very Happy
NIx1972
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:12 pm 
Post subject:
classics!! I was reading small gods a few weeks back (I'm reading my way through from the start as we are sad enough to have the whole collection Embarassed ) and was literally laughing out loud on the train!
I think my favourite characters are Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg though so anything with them in is great Very Happy

Any other Pratchett fans out there?

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
not part of the discworld series, but he co wrote a book called good omens with neil gaiman (sniggers childishly at the name) and its hilarious, so if you havent got it, do so Laughing
StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
As much as a bookaholic as I am... Haven't read anything by Terry Pratchett *prepares to be slapped!* Embarassed

Finished two of my seven books the other day. The Drowning Girl was reeeally moving. Though I hate when books end really quickly, ruins them so much.

Went to a charity shop and got a huge Stephen King book for 50p the other day. Very Happy Started that now, along with the rest!

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
*cuffs stacey round the head*
right, how to explain mr pratchett Confused random, funny, a pee take on fantasy novels (as in myth and magic type books), well his discworld series anyway (discworld, which stands on the shoulders of 4 elephants, who in turn stand on the back of atuin, the space turtle. yep, i did say random pmsl Laughing ) and a rather cynical and incisive view of mankind really, which applies to all books of his that ive read. if your sense of humour is more than a little warped, youll find it devastatingly funny Laughing
StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
Well, I like to think I'm sane, but funny I can live with! Might have to hunt out some books.
Oof now can't remember the name of a book or author but thought it was really good... Abstract like you described (though maybe not as much) Wink Must find out the name!!

StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
Good ol' Google.
Phillip Pullman! Really enjoyed Northern Lights many moons ago.

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:51 pm 
Post subject:
another random author would be douglas adams (writer of the 5 book hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy Laughing ) i adored his book the long dark teatime of the soul, cracked me up. was i think 2nd book in the dirk gently series, but i (shamefully) havent read the 1st, which is a cardinal sin for a dedicated reader Embarassed i'll find it one day Very Happy
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to:  

Community

Popular