ClairaBell's Book Club

StaceyRD
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
An ex of mine was addicted to those books, so much so I was never able to steal one off him to find out what they were about. Laughing

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
i dont know if you watched the film? but basically it follows the adventures of arthur dent after his best friend (and alien) ford prefect saves him when planet earth is destroyed by the vogons to make room for a space motorway. have to say that i wasnt altogether pleased with the ending, think maybe the last book couldve been skipped as the series did lose quality as it progressed Sad hollywood sequel syndrome i think Laughing but if you start them, you do have to read them all Very Happy
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:44 pm 
Post subject:
i have only just found this thread - i have always been a massive book worm and read loads (especially when oh is away) my favs are:-

Martina cole - i have always loved hers and read all of her books - her last few are not as great and she seems to repeat herself a lot. Mandasue Heller is also good if you like the gangster type books.

Jilly Cooper - is amazing i loved them.

Tory Hadens books are really good but really sad.

I have also read some of Jodi Picoult - although i cant remember th names of the books i read!!!

Nicholas Evans is also anther one of favs - very soul catching.

Stephanie Meyer - the twilight saga and the host!!!! I love them

Lauren Kate - Fallen is amazing - dark romance book but truly brilliant

I am working way through P C Cast at the moment - her goddess of Partholon books are my favourit ever!!!!! and i have just bought her first 3 of the house of night series so i will be starting them this weekend - i cant believe i have only just discovered P C Cast - very fantasy romance with a bit of evil thrown in!!! xx

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:04 pm 
Post subject:
martina coles early books were brilliant though, faceless and dangerous lady are my faves i think. i quite like goodnight lady too, but that one hits way too close to the bone in many respects Sad mandasue hellers are very similar, but after years of ms cole, the differences is writing style is a bit jarring and unsettling. the game and forgetmenot are the 2 i most like. she has successfully put me off ever setting foot in manchester though Shocked
and nicholas evans is brilliant, horse whisperer is amazing (i didnt like the film at all though, strangely) but i think his best, at a push, is the loop, though either one will reduce me to tears Embarassed
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Lalena - i agree her early ones were the best - dangerous lady was one my favs as well. Same here Shocked , i have never been to manchester but defo dont want to now Laughing - there are far to many people trying to write the same stuff now though!!

Nicholas Evans - the wooly jumper (i think thats what is called!) and the divide - are both amazing but again will probably make you cry!!!! i have read the horse whisperer countless times - i did enjoy the film but nowhere near as good as the book! but i find thats always the way.

After reading Jilly Cooper i found out there was a DVD so i bought it and it was by far the worst film i have ever seen!!!! which then went on to ruin the books for me!!

xxx

polo21
Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
Ohhhhh a book club!!! Very Happy
would love to join!!!
when I was preggers with Aime read a least a book a week!!!
now find i often dont have time to read Sad must make time for myself!

did read all the true blood books and loved them, also a twilight fan!
Have got jilly coopers new book Jump been meaning to start reading!

Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:55 pm 
Post subject:
This is a great idea!

Im going to the library tomorrow to look for a book called 'The Secret' but im not sure which section i would find it in or who the author is Confused Its about thinking positive in your approach to life and i know someone on AB has recommended it to me in the past but i cant find it now...any got any ideas??
Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:19 pm 
Post subject:
komolafe, that book sounds familiar, but I can't think where from. Confused Confused

At the minute I am reading 'the other half lives' by Sophie Hannah, Someone at work brought it in, and I am hooked. Its about a man who confesses to his fiance he has killed a woman, But his fiance knows this woman is still alive. And also his fiance has a secret that she keeps mentioning but won't say anything about/. Confused Confused
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:14 pm 
Post subject:
Ooh,I can't believe I've only just seen this! Rolling Eyes I love books,but I'm a bit stuck in my ways with the kind of things I read,so this is great for some inspiration! Smile

I've just read 'An offer you can't refuse' by Jill Mansell,it's your typical chick lit,pretty samey tbh to most of her other books (I have most of them),it was ok,but not fantastic Rolling Eyes

Claire I have a Sophie Hannah book that I've not read yet,it's called 'Hurting Distance',anyone read it? I wasnt' sure if it was my kind of thing

Also have a couple of Torey hayden,Jodi Picoult etc,but over all I don't really ever find the time to read much,I must make myself.I think a library trip is in order,I haven't been for ages!

xx

ClairaBell
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:16 am 
Post subject:
Squib this is the first Sophie Hannah book I have read. its getting better too. Very Happy Can't put it down.

I have thi one and one more book left and then nothing. So I will have to pop to the library soon. x
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:21 pm 
Post subject:
Please may I join?! I'm an English teacher and am constantly reading at home and at work! I'm reading 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', 'Birdsong' and 'Of Mice and Men' with classes at work - I love 'Birdsong' and am going to see it at the theatre in December. 'Of Mice and Men' is brilliant - so simple and yet so heart rendering. I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' - I don't want to give away the ending but I think it isn't necessary when the situation is already so tragic. i've just finished reading 'Blindsighted' by Karen Slaughter which was vicious but gripping and am now about to start a new Phillippa Gregory (I love hers - 'The Other Boleyn Girl' is one of my favourites!0 x
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:22 am 
Post subject:
ive just read sophie kinsellas "can you keep a secret" in two days Very Happy it was brilliant and was literally laughing out loud Very Happy going to get twenties girl from the library today! is there any other sophie kinsella books i should be looking out for?
ClairaBell
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:14 pm 
Post subject:
I have just bought The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf. I got it from ebay for 1. Very Happy I saw it on a bookclub website and it looks great.

Hopefully it will come today or tomorrow. xx
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:50 pm 
Post subject:
I am coming to join this too as i Love my books!!! i am a certified book worm!!
I am currently reading Marian keys...is there anybody out there! Totally gripped...i pretend the books are real like & i get myself so hooked on them!!
I love jodi picoult books & cant put them down!!
Never read boy in the stripped PJs but the film was brill.
Off mi e & men takes me back to my school days & recently ordered that off Amazon (& had to get the DVD too to which i sat & cried!!!!)
Anyone recommend any other good books as i am nearing the end off my huge stock pile!!!
[/quote]
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hey!! i want 2 join!!!

Loved the time travellers wife.

I love reading and just wanted 2 recommend The true blood series by Charlaine Harris.
for those who like Twilight, true blood is the more grown up version. i made my OH buy me the whole set after i read the 1st.
its been made in 2 a series which is good but as always not as good as the books.
There is 9 in the series so far with more 2 be released.
book 4 is my fave....got the best naughty scenes Laughing

My all time favebook is the color purple.

/will def. be looking at all your recommendations! thanks..always looking 4 new books 2 read!!!

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to:  

Community

Popular