ClairaBell's Book Club

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm 
Post subject:
ClairaBell wrote:
I am reading a Minette Walters book at the minute 'The Shape of Snakes'. I love her books. Someone in our office has read this one and I want to ask her how it ends, but i don't want to spoil it, but i want to know who did it, but i don't!

Aaarggh Sorry about that. It shouldn't take me long to finish it though.

Mummy2B - I was thinking of donating some books to our library too as I have loads at home. x

omfg! this book made me bawl my eyes out Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad no, i wont spoil it for you, but my god, ive rarely felt so much sympathy and grief over a book character Crying or Very sad
kayleyfluffybabyBUM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:50 pm 
Post subject:
MummyAndPeppaPig wrote:
ilovemybabies wrote:
ive just read sophie kinsellas "can you keep a secret" in two days Very Happy it was brilliant and was literally laughing out loud Very Happy going to get twenties girl from the library today! is there any other sophie kinsella books i should be looking out for?

The Undomesticated Goddess and Remember Me, are good ones by her!
She also writes as Madeleine Wickham Smile

remember me is so sad Sad ive not read the book but i bought my little sister the dvd for christmas and she made me watch it
a very bad idea with me being all hormonal lol
really want to read the book though!
Zacky was born June 26th 2011
Pip was born October 17th 2012
Spencer was born 5th August 2013 (6 weeks early)
ggmarch
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm 
Post subject:
I'll read anything, when I go to the library I try to get out an improving book, often a biography and then something a little bit more serious. I usually read 3 or 4 books in a week! In the last week I have read Yes Sister, No Sister By Jennifer Worth abotu training to be a nurse in the 50's. Some things in nursing don't change! Man and Boy by Tony Parsons, about a bloke that has a mid life crisis and an affair, he just writes so well, its easy to digest and he represents the female perspective really well. And after watching Zen on TV I got out Back to Bologna by Michael Dibden. Unfortunately had trouble marrying up my mental image of Zen from the books with the Zen from the TV programme. But it had a clever twist at the end.
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
Quote:

Not seen the musical hon but the book does pick up pace as you get into it!

I hope so, I've abandonned it temporarily because it was starting to get on my nerves. I'll try again Confused

I've just bought 'Room' which sounds good and I'm reading 'The Magician's Nephew' by C.S.Lewis to Isobel. xx
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 am 
Post subject:
I would recommend Room by Emma Donaghue. It was sooooo emotional! xx
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 pm 
Post subject:
Managed to finish Wicked - didn't really like it, finished Room and loved it, felt so emotionally drained!!! I'm now nearly finished reading One Day (one of the World Book Night books) which I'm really enjoying and have read a Elizabeth chadwick as well - The Marsh King's Daughter which was good. I've got lots lined up so I'll let you know how I go. Need to re-read Regneration for my A level lessons after Easter first! xx
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
Jodi Picoult's new book, Sing You Home, is really beautiful. (Touching too so ladies here will relate)

Got it for my birthday on friday and almost finished it - wish it was longer now though!!
xx

fionap
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:28 pm 
Post subject:
I've just re-read the four [*CENSORED*] Francis books featuring Sid Halley. I've now started back on Agatha Christie. They are so gentle compared to the crime books these days so I feel they are more suitable to read while I'm pregnant! I can't help reading about Hercule Poirot without thinking of David Suchet's portrayal of the great man.

This thread will be really useful as I get so stuck in a rut with my reading and rarely branch out my comfort crime zone.
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:23 pm 
Post subject:
Been on a bit of a manic reading binge!!! Read two more Elizabeth Chadwicks which were good but very similar to each other. Also read 'One Moment, One Morning' which was fantastic but do not read if you're feeling tearful, it's heartbreaking (if you do read it, let me know as there's one part that I thought was beautiful and yet so tragic). Then read 'The Red Queen' but Phillippa Gregory which was good but I didn't think it was as good as her others, possibly because the protagonist wasn't as likeable. Then I read 'Twilight' again, in a day. It's my guilty pleasure Embarassed and now I'm reading 'The King's Speech'!! Keeping myself busy!!!
xx
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:06 pm 
Post subject:
I just finished reading 'Solar' and 'A child in time' both by Ian Mc Ewan (Sp?) a very talented author and 2 fantastic books
ttc1stlittleone
Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am 
Post subject:
Hello i think this is a fantastic idea I love reading (not so much lately as i cant stop reading this site) especially trashy jackie collins type books, i loved Dear John though by nicholas sparks though so going to be reading more by him Very Happy
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:10 pm 
Post subject:
Only just found this!!

I love reading and find myself reading anything and everything.

I love reading Cecilia Ahern, I find her imagination wonderful although I saw PS I love you before reading it and didnt enjoy the book as much as the film!

Have read the Jennifer Worth books, I think true stories about midwives and nurses from years ago are really interesting.

Has anyone read 'light in the window'? Its a true story about an unmarried mothers home run by nuns., Pretty much like the Magdelene Laundry thing but it had me in tears. It's awful to think that only women / girls were punished for having a baby out of wedlock when most of the time it wasnt their fault.

Am reading a Kitty Neale book at the moment cause I love books set in past eras.

ClairaBell
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:31 am 
Post subject:
Oh my life - I have found another author that I loove.

Karin Slaughter. I am hooked on her books at the min. They are kind of crim/suspense with a bit of murder and gore, but I love them. Very Happy Very Happy

I have even started hunting around in the charity shops for some more of her books. x
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:01 pm 
Post subject:
Nice find ClairaBell, I love her books too! x

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:42 pm 
Post subject:
My Mum says that Karin Slaughter and Kathy Reichs are very similar (The Kathy Reichs books are the template for the TV series 'Bones') and Kathy Reichs is really good. I've just picked up 'Water for Elephants' but haven't started reading it yet as am reading Martyn Pig as I've got to teach it to my year 10. I'm reading Chaucer with year 12, wouldn't recommend it! x
Page 6 of 7

Jump to:  

Community

Popular