JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:32 am 
Post subject: Raising Awareness of Ectopic Pregnancy
Hi ladies,
As someone who has been through Ectopic pregnancy twice, and lived to tell
the tale I would like to try and raise awareness by lobbying our MPs (I will create a
template letter )which you can either email or post to your MP.

I am going to speak to Beverley Beech, who is the chairwoman of AIMS -
Association for the Improvement in Maternity Services, in the hope she will help.
She is lovely, and was great when I contacted her after my last EP. She couldn't
believe what I'd gone through last time. I haven't spoken to her yet about this.
I'm sure she'll be horrified and agree something needs to be done.

Womens' care in life threatening situations (and women can die from an Ectopic)
Is being left to inexperienced junior drs who either don't have the experience to deal
With this or dont listen to what they are being told by women. Please comment below if you are willing to help change the system, as only by raising this with local hospital and
Speaking up can we protect ourselves and others from potential harm and unnessessary ordeals.

Julie xx

Please see these guidelines

http://www.earlypregnancy.org.uk/whoarewe.asp

http://www.earlypregnancy.org.uk/adminsection/documents/AEPUGuidelines2007.pdf

these are what the EPU's should be following, and give you some idea as to the care you should be getting. Pay particular attention to pages 28 to 35

Our baby Eleanor lost 6 Apr 10

Last edited by JulieWoo on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:03 am 
Post subject:
with you all the way hun. you shouldnt have had to go through your ordeal, but in a way at least you had askbaby, the thought of someone going through THAT alone and without any support... Crying or Very sad womens lives arent play things
you are a remarkable woman julie and i wish you all the best, both for this campaign, as well as your personal life xxxx
Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:40 pm 
Post subject:
Smile Thanks Julie... brilliant idea.. xxxxxxxx
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
tashamo3
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:37 pm 
Post subject:
Fantastic idea julie, if it wasnt for you telling me to get t the epu i would have stayed sat at home like a ticking time bomb ready to go off! Something needs to be done!
x
Hungry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:57 pm 
Post subject:
I am very willing, ready and able to support this julie - ithis 'waiting and watching' is totally wrong, and so very dangerous. Think there needs to be a link or something posted in general, as I know a number of other people would be very up for supporting this, but don't necessarily visit this forum.
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:44 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies,
Thanks for your support.
Good idea hungry. I will post a link. Just going to recover a bit then start a campaign for more awareness.

The trouble is SHOs usually are very inexperienced newly qualified doctors. They are relied upon too much in EPUs and don't have the kind of experience to diagnose EPs in the early stages.
Once it gets to rupture it's just too late to save the tube and conserve fertility - by then it's usually a rush to save your life.

You can always visit the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust. They have just launched a lovely range of bespoke note cards which try to help raise awareness of EP.

Julie xx

Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:09 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Julie you have my full support (and help) to do whatever is needed. Ive only just seen this post but i was sayin earlier on angelcakes post how much this needs to be addressed cos it žs so wrong. Pm me if/when you want any help getting this up an running an very best of luck with it x
Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:03 am 
Post subject:
Smile Y ou have my full support too

Why do they wait for the tube to rupture before they take drastic action.??

I should have had a Lap on Friday once they saw my HCG was still rising after a 2nd scan has failed to find the pregnancy.. Crying or Very sad Sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil I am gonna have to lose a tube and go through physical hell.. before they do something.. unless I am lucky enougjh that the tube doesnt rupture by tomorrow.. xxxxxxx
JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:12 am 
Post subject:
This is what we are going to be lobbying for..... Prevention of surgery and rupture should be priority.
Better management and care is all we are asking for, and to be listened to as women.

XxRonansMummyxX
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:37 pm 
Post subject:
i am in total support of this. i lost my tube last year after first bein told i was havin M/C and then i got told it was a healthy pg. i ended up bein rushed to a&e in agony and then it was over 24 hours before they operated. my tube didnt rupture but it was so close to it that it was too damaged to save.
more needs to be done to prevent this kind of thing from happening because some women lose their lives
i admire you Julie because after my ep there was no way i could be a strong as you are right now and i thinkyou for giving hope to other women out there
xxxx

[

3 Angel babies. Lost but still loved so much
xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:33 pm 
Post subject:
Wow, I'm in full support of this - didn't realise how badly I was treated until I read it.

I went into hospital with pain and they scanned me and said they could not see a pregnancy where it should be and there was a shadow in my tube but they couldn't be sure. They checked my hcg levels and as they kept doubling and several Dr's said it wasn't an ectopic and did not do another scan until a few days later when I rushed to the hospital with tremendous pain, so much so I was writhing on the bed in agony.

They did another scan about 6 hours after I was admitted and confirmed not only was this an ectopic but that it had ruptured. If they had investigated more and maybe had a more experienced sonographer (the sonographer I had the first time was the regular one and not the one that works in EPAC) then they may have been able to give me Methotrexate which may have saved my tube!

Should I be making a complaint?

What can I do to help?

Terri xx

mrsLA
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:20 pm 
Post subject:
i agree i had an epotopic on the 3rd jan and when in hospital they said they were gonna wait and if my blood pressure dropped low again take me into theater if not wait to scan me the next day. i was admited at about half 4 in the evening and rushed to theatre at 9pm as i was in aboslute agony and there they found my abdomen full of blood and a burst tube x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Ectopic Pregnancy and TTC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular