What do you have for Christmas dinner ?

NicolaOasis
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:25 pm 
Post subject: What do you have for Christmas dinner ?
I love love love a traditional Christmas dinner, every year David wants to have something different and every year i say no.

We have carrot, coriander and ginger soup followed by a traditional turkey dinner and then something ymmy but that tends to change every year. Im thinking pavlova this year xx
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:18 am 
Post subject:
Last year we had turkey but this year I think we are going to have beef for a change and get all the veg ready done from M+S to spend more time with LO. We get our meat from the farm shop which is expensive but really nice ! we don;t have a starter just snack all morning Laughing then pud is somthing chocolate Very Happy
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:24 am 
Post subject:
It depends where we have it,this year we'll be at my mums.We just have the tradtional dinner,usually turkey (but chicken for me cos I don't like it),with all the trimmings,then xmas pud for desert Laughing but that's usually nearer tea time by the time lunch has gone down hehe

We usually then use the leftover meat etc on boxing day,ooh I can;t wait for xmas dinner!stuff the pressies,I want food!! Embarassed Laughing Laughing x

lalena
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:26 am 
Post subject:
what my mil does, which weve apparantly adopted, is for starters prawn cocktail (stuffing slices on lettuce for the non prawn eaters like me) then traditional turkey dinner followed by pudding. in her house however theres later on either cold meat platter with pickles etc or turkey and chips, whereas in ours we go for a full buffet with all the works for whichever friends and neighbours (not to mention our ever hungry kids!) stop by.
boxing day is when we have roast beef and yorkshires, gorgeous Very Happy
simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:42 am 
Post subject:
i dont know why, but i go waaay ott on food at xmas, we have turkey, beef and a goose with everything!!! i usualy do a choice of 2/3 starters, usually prawn cocktail, carrot and coriander soup or loaded potato skins, depends on what i can be bothered to do, and iusuallu have a choice of deserts, a xmas pud, a choc fudge cake that i make (nigella lawsons mmmm Very Happy) and a cheesecake or something.
and yeah then in the evening a buffet for whoever comes round, but still all trhe food never gets eaten Rolling Eyes
aww but i wont be doing xmas at my house this year Sad even though i wanted to, coz OH wont be here all his family have decided they gonna have a big family xmas round there and have told us we are going Rolling Eyes lol
oh wll im sure that will be nice too Very Happy - no washing up - bonus!! lol
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:46 pm 
Post subject:
Me and Mark have lived together for 5 years and I have only cooked a christmas dinner once in that time Embarassed and we had a power cut!
We go my mums as we visit my grandparents were my aunti and uncles will be and all their kids do pressies with them, then marks dads, then marks mums then my mums for tea, Gonna have to start saying we aint coming out on christmas day as it is such a hassle!! Don't get anytime in our own home!

But getting to the point lunch at mums is fab!!! 2-3 types of meat, loadsa pigs in blankets (my fav!!) loadsa puddings, sweets, just general gorging on food, I love it!!! lol

XxRonansMummyxX
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:10 pm 
Post subject:
i love cooking xmas dinner Very Happy Very Happy but OH doesnt like turkey Sad so i do him lamb instead Smile i usually put dried mint in with the steaming veg and its lovely

[

3 Angel babies. Lost but still loved so much
xBradenandDitax
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:36 pm 
Post subject:
we are eating at the oh's mums becausde my mums table isnt big enough, and we go for a buffet there for boxing day tea! but we find it too hard to cook and make sure the grandkids get to both grandparents house for a good couple of hours to open pressies!!
x

Angelnandrew
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:42 am 
Post subject:
im thinking of trying one of those 3 bird roasts from aldis this year i think its duck chicken and turkey we usually just have a turkey crown though as there isnt enough of us for a full bird mmmmmmmmmm i love xmas dinner x
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:15 pm 
Post subject:
we always go to my moms and she does a fab dinner but the family is getting too big for her dining table this year so we are going out to a local country pub (there is 16 of us Rolling Eyes ) i will miss my moms cooking but feel it will be better for her aswell...... im soo excited!
babymakes5
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:36 am 
Post subject:
we have everyone round to our house (about 20-25 people) starting at 8 am for full english brekkie then prezzies, then everyone leaves around 11-12 , so we get the ret of the day with the kids.
then its prawn with lobster etc cocktail the largest turkey crown hubby can get off his butcher friend -usually enough to feed 12!! then theres stuffing yorkies brussels all the veg , goose fat roast pots, mini sausages in bacon everything!!!! then theres choc pudding n custard with a jd kicker!! and cheese n crackers. plus ten ton of choc already eaten throughout the day , boxing day consists of a running amount of turkey cheese crackers twiglets etc whatever you can find all topped off with a glass of baileys for mummy!!!!! Laughing plus we always have a sparkley bottle of something to drink and when the kids were very small used to get them special champagne in childs for ie from tescos in a special bottle!! now they have a small glass with us!!
thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:07 pm 
Post subject:
One year we had a bbq (yes in britain lol!) we had weird stuff on it - lobster, seafood, ribs and lbacon wrapped liver it was fun!!!
thetwitchywitch
Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:54 am 
Post subject:
We have prawn cocktail or melon balls for starter, thet Turkey and trimmings - all gluten free for my DH including yorkshire puds- for pudding we have christmas pud for those who like it and a gluten fee pudding my Almondi, they do Dime bar and Snickers flavours and they are like a cheese cake, they also do a lemon meringue one.

I make a gluten free swiss roll and decorate it like a log. One thing I always have for christmas tea is hot french bread with real butter, brie and cranberry sauce on. Yum Yum.

THe only other tradittion we have is crappy crackers, we only spend a pound on crackers Embarassed Razz
Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:02 pm 
Post subject:
Well before we had Thomas I was working Christmas day Sad 5 yrs in a row!

Usually on a late at work 1.30-9.30 then it's a rush in the morning. We get up early and open prezzies. OH makes the starter ( melon) cooks the spuds and veg for turkey (with all the trimmings) and pudding usually cheesecake for me and christmas pudding for him. This is while I get showered and dressed, then quickly go see my mum/ stepdad for an hour, come home, get ready for work and tidy the mess up. Have food at 12.30, then I leave for work, OH washes up then goes to his parents for the day.

Boxing day I had off coz I worked Xmas day. Go to my mums for the morning, have lunch, stay til mid afternoon ( my bro and g/f go too) She cooks another turkey or beef lunch again. Then we go to his parents for tea for a buffet till late.

Last yr Thomas was only 19 days old so everyone came to visit us but had Xmas lunch alone. Doing the same again this yr coz I actually have the DAY OFF! Very Happy Very Happy YEY! Boxing day gonna be the usual I think.

Sorry just realised I wrote an essay lol Embarassed

xxKatxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
We normally swap between Robs dad n my mum n dad for xmas dinner,
if its Robs dad, its prawn cocktail (which i dnt eat) roast spuds, turkey, stuffing etc

if its my mums then its 2 types of meat (chicken and beef usually) carrots, broccoli, sprouts (or some other variation) yorkshire puds, mash potato with swede, roast potato and pigs in blankets.
by which point you can barely move let alone eat anything else, then we go to my grandparents house and have turkey / pork and stuffing sandwiches, gateux / christmas pud and coconut buns Very Happy

I put on about 3st in a day LOL.
xxxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Seasonal Celebrations All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular