Night time hysterics

mike45
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:16 am 
Post subject: Night time hysterics
Our baby boy,Marcus, is just 4 months old and for the last few weeks has slept right through the night from about 10pm to 8 or 9 am. However, during the last three weeks and at any time between the hours of 8 to 10 pm, he can change within a few seconds from a happy, smiling, gurgling bundle of joy into a hysterical, red faced, leg kicking baby who appears to be in all kinds of pain. No amount of cuddling will placate him and this will go on for about an hour constantly screaming.

On the assumption that he is hungry or needs liquids, we try to feed him and invariably he will take a couple of ounces of milk. Gradually and with constant attention he will calm down and as quickly as he started crying he will stop, give a couple of smiles and fall asleep. He will sleep throughout the night waking only at between 8 and 9 the following morning, invariably in a happy and attentive mood.

His crying/screaming is truly horific to listen to and he gives the impression of being in real pain. We have thought that perhaps he is teething but although he chews on his hands/fingers he leaves his mouth alone when he is having his nightly crying.

Has anyone else experienced this and can they share their knowledge please.
mummywendy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:38 pm 
Hello
I have a 7 month old baby girl who does the same thing, she goes to bed about half 7 and wakes up at half 8 on the dot, screaming and wailing and nothing will comfort her.I've tried bottles of milk, bottles of water, bonjela, singing to her, everything. The only thing that stops her crying is if I pick her up and wind her/cuddle her. I know my prob isnt exactly the same as yours but i can understand what u mean about the cry, and how it goes against everything you instinctively know as a parent, to leave them crying and getting into a state. I live with my Mum and Dad, and they have been offering suggestions on what it could be, everything from teething to nightmares, and I have to say, I dont know what it is.The only thing I can suggest is if it carries on much longer take your baby to the doctors or the baby clinic because thats what im going to do soon. I really hope things get better, I know what its like to be worried. Let me know how it goes. Wendy x
mike45
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm 
Hello Wendy,

Thank you for your reply. We actually took Marcus to the doctor yesterday as we had a couple of other queries to get sorted out. The nightly hysterics was one of them and to be honest, the doc. did not really come up with anything positive. He checked for teething(possible - but nothing really showing) wind/colic - (gripe water already tried)
being overtired ( again a possibility) The one new thought was perhaps stomach pain/discomfort caused by his tum/system getting used to his lunchtime/mid afternoon feed which now includes a small amount of pureed sollids(Heinz). Marcus has been on this for just over a week now and although we would have expected his poo to be darker in colour, it is still greenish, as from birth. A sample has been "collected" for checking to see if there is anything internal that may give a result.

You mention that one way of stopping your baby from crying is for you (specifically)to cuddle her. This has also worked for Marcus in that his Mum(who is with him all day) is the only one who can placate him quicker than anyone else and can suggest that being over tired and only wanting the person closest to them could be the main reason for our problems. Why though, does a baby who is overtired and has actually gone to sleep, then wakes up? Not logical. I feel that the answer lies elsewhere.Keep in touch.
Mike
erinmccay
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:37 am 
Post subject:
does marcus arch his back alot and spit up and/or spit up and swallow it. my son at about 3 months old was diagnosed with acid reflux. it was like day and night. he would be very irritable it seemed like nothing would comfort him. after about a million crying fits ( mine not hunters) i went to the doctors and she told me to put him on pedilight for a day and see if it is something he was eating or gas. then when that it did not work she put him on liquid zantac. it just needs adjusted every once and a while( as he gets bigger)
mike45
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:33 pm 
Cannot say that he arches his back but he does dribble a lot and does get quite chesty at times. He is also prone to being sick a lot although this in itself does not seem to cause him any discomfort or distress.

Marcus is due his four month's set of injections tomorrow, so we will ask the nurse if she thinks that an acidic tum might be contributing to his nightly crying. Thanks for the suggestion.
eddiesmum
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:08 pm 
Post subject:
h8i, this may or may not be unrelated but my baby was similar at that age, we kind of put it down to collic or wind. we ended up givinghim a baby massage for wind and collic (rubbing his stomach downwards and pulling his legs up to hi chest and then shaking is legs (there are classes or you could look up method on the net) and then giving him a really good burp, maybe for 15 mins before bed, we also propped his mattress up a bit (before he started tothink that this was a mountaina nd tried to climb up it!) at the head end and this seemed tohelptoo... good luck!!
mike45
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:20 pm 
Babies are strange little creatures - without really getting to the bottom of his nightly hysterics and without consciously doing anything drastically different, Marcus has suddenly stopped his regular evening hysterics.

His distressing screaming and leg kicking has now been replaced by a "normal" crying session just prior to bed time which lasts for no more than 15 / 20 minutes. This is usually accompanied by eye rubbing and ear pulling while alternatively attempting at shoving his whole hand into his mouth and dribbling profusely (teething perhaps?) He then settles down and apart from the odd few minutes of wakening during the night, he sleeps right through until 8/9 am next morning.

Little has changed in his routine although the amount of "solid food" has increased and is now part of his late afternoon feed. He is also burping more on his own and does not need as much gripe water as before.

We are leaning more towards wind and/or hunger as the reasons for his hysterics. We may be wrong but in the meantime we are enjoying the relative peace and quiet.

Thank you to those of you who have answered our cry for help and provided your thoughts on the possible causes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular