my 1st pregnancy & found a huge cyst please help need ad

Lilytreefairy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:35 pm 
Post subject: my 1st pregnancy & found a huge cyst please help need ad
hi everyone.
I am really concerned:( i am 21 years old and i am pregnant with my first baby:) i found out when i was 8 weeks gone. i had a meeting with the midwife at week 9 and she asked if she was able to feel my stomach. She had a feel around and said to me that it felt like i was 18 weeks pregnant. Quite shocked, she tried to hear for the babys heart beat, and then when she couldnt find one, she was really worried and managed to get me an emergancy scan at the hospital- as she was concerned i had lost the baby. It was an agonising four hours wait until the scan, i was like a zombie when the time came.
When i eventually was having my scan, the lady doing it looked quite shocked, at the screen but all i could see was back nothiness. she finally found the baby and showed and measured it for me, and as i thought i was 9 weeks along. However she then turned to me and told be that i had a huge single ovarian cyst that measures 107 x 172 x 171. and i am really, really worried that this will have an effect on my baby or cause miscarriage, even tho the doctor has assured me that the cyst will have no effect on the baby. i am also concerned the baby will not have room to grow as the cyst is about the size of a pine apple. please any advice will be fantastic xxx
alibongo78
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:14 am 
Post subject:
Hi lilly tree..first thing...dont worry. It will all be ok. Ovarian cysts are very very common. Many women have them and they just don't know. The only reason you know now is because the scan showed it up. i had exactly the same thing happen to the other day. Went for an emergency scan for suspected ectopic as I had lower abdominal stabbing pain. All was ok with baby but I had a cyst. Now granted mine is quite a bit smaller. 4.5 cm by 3.5 cm. The registrar was not bothered about it at all. They may decide at some point to remove the cyst. However it may just go on its own.

What did the hospital say about it? Did they say they would monitor it?

hope this helps

Ali x
Lilytreefairy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:03 am 
Post subject:
hey there,
thank you so much for your reply, you have put my mind at ease. the hospital has referred me to a gaenocologist, so im just waiting for an appointment now. But knowing my hospital it could take months. my doctor said that they may want to cut it out or drain it. however i think i will ask them to wait till i am in the second trimester, so the risk of miscarrige has decreased. i think i am just worring so much because its my first baby and the doctors think they may not be able to save my ovarie. thank you again for your reply Very Happy x
alibongo78
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:30 am 
Post subject:
Hi lillytree... I th ink you will get an appt quite soon. There are various methods they can use to remove or drain the cyst. The procedures they have now are excellent and they would not do anything that would jepordise your baby.
Keep me updated on your progress.

Big hugs

Ali x
gingin
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:22 am 
Post subject: hey lilly
i have just found out i am pregnant - last year i found our i had a cyst too but they come and go - and is absolutely normal - the other thing is that my dr told me the best thing is to actually have a baby as that is what us females are meant to be doing
i wish you both well - am not going to tell you to relax and dont worry cos thats not possible - try to find things in your day that take your mind away once in a while -
take care
g
mrswolfbane
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:06 pm 
Post subject:
i had a friend that had several that were found during her pregnancy and now her child is almost 5 so please try not to worry to much huny xx
CHELLE9
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:58 pm 
Post subject: re: cyst
hi lily

i have been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst though smaller than yours and i am 10 weeks but they are keeping an eye on it, but your hospital should get you an appointment pretty sharpish.

The midwife has said that I have to go to a consultant led hospital instead of a midwife led unit if the cyst hasn't gone down by 36 weeks.

but good luck with is as there is lots of things they can do nowadays.
twinklestarr
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:31 pm 
Post subject: also have cysts
Hi this is the first time i have posted to this forum. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and it's just been discovered that i have 4 cysts. One is a normal pregnancy cyst on my left ovary (which they say will just burst on it's own accord so not worried about that one) and the other three are on the right ovary and are joined together.

The largest cyst is just under 10cms and the other two are just under 6cms each so combined is over 20 cms. I had extreme pain on Friday and was rushed into hospital as they thought it was etopic. Thank goodness it wasn't and we saw the baby for the first time and the heart moving. Then they found the cysts. They think that the cysts had twisted on the ovary which had cut off the blood supply and was the reason for so much pain. So far we've been told that the mass of the cysts are ok and appear to be benign.

They want to monitor the cysts and are getting me back in for a scan in 4 weeks time. They want to wait until I'm at least 16wks before they decide to operate or try and drain the cysts. I've been told not to lift anything and not to put any strain on myself to try and avoid the cysts from twisting again. I didn't really know much about cysts but it appears that they can move in a cycle and with the increase in hormones may make them grow larger, I think this is another reason why they also want to wait 4 weeks so they can see if the cysts have grown over what would have normally been another cycle.

I'm really nervous about what I can do to help and the thought that my baby is having to grow with something else inside is horrible. I've been getting a few odd pains since being released from hospital and last night was woken with bad heart palpitations. I'm due to see a consultant tomorrow so will mention it then. I'm trying to get through each stage and focus on getting to 16wks. I'm trying not to panic or stress to much as I know it's not good for the baby but it just feels so scary that you have no control over anything and putting my faith into doctors when the immediate reaction is to remove something that is close to the baby.

It explains why my stomach is so large, I thought it might have been twins at first and was concerned that I hadn't put any weight on but my stomach was getting larger. I'd been wearing maternity clothes for the last 4wks!

Sad
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:53 pm 
Post subject: cysts
Hi there I am 6 weeks pregnant and have had an early scan today as I have had 2 previous m/c and have been suffering from abdominal cramps. Sac, fetal pole and good strong heartbeat found. They too found cysts in my left ovary one was very small but the other was an irregular shape and had been bleeding, they feel this may have been the pain I have been experiencing. However, I noticed a post from twinklestar who said she had been suffering heart palpitations, I have too, but only when I am pregnant, could these be a symptom of these cysts. Any advice gratefully received!!
IrishTrish
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:07 pm 
Post subject: Cyst removed at 12 wks
Hi Lilytreefairy

I found out at 7wks that i had a 10x10x10cm cyst on my left ovary, as i was abroad at the time on holidays I could not fly home as the hospital were worried the cyst may burst. So i waited until i was 12 weeks and as per hospital recommendation and they removed the cyst by Laparoscopy. After a 10 day recovery i returned home and me a baby are now happy and healthy at 28 weeks.
I know its a worry but try not to get too stressed about it. Hospitals deal with situations like this all the time and will be carefull with the type of treatment they provide you due to baby.

Hope you get sorted soon!!
Good luck
x
Lilytreefairy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:07 pm 
Post subject:
cheers guys, you have put my mind at ease. i have got a hospital appointment next friday for the op. im having a ultra scan guided expiration of an ovarian cyst. sounds long winded. basically means they are going to sedate me then drain the cyst. apparently it is the most safest way, due to the fact they are not putting me under anasetic. still worried tho, coz there is a chance of miscarriage. but i am being positive and belive my baby is a fighter and a little miracle. so it is ment to be:) xxx
twinklestarr
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:33 pm 
Post subject: update
hi all,

i've just been for my 4wk appt to have a look at the cysts and see what they needed to do about them. two weeks ago i think one burst on its own accord which was quite painful for about 10 mins and then felt much better afterwards.

anyway the scan has shown that they appear to be shrinking on their own without anyone having to drain or operate. is the best outcome we could have hoped for and when they'd said 4weeks ago it might happen i was a bit dubious due to the size of the cysts and the number of them.

they are still going to keep an eye on them but it's amazing how the body can deal with things. the largest cyst has shrunk from about 9cm down to 3cm which makes me wonder where it all goes but apparently it's absorbed back into the body and doesnt cause any problems.

anyway i hope that everything goes ok for you if you have similar problems x
Lxjane
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:18 pm 
Post subject: 9 weeks pregnant
i have had polo cystic ovaries for four years now, when i first found out i suffered really bad pains. i get lots of tiny ones and had a big one that just disappeared when i went for a check up on them, apparently they can dissolve i have been pregnant twice and was told they cant harm a pregnancy. but pcos can lead to diabetes or allot of weight gain if you don't eat properly, you can also reverse the pcos by a diet plan from a consultant x x x x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular