starting nursery, need advice please

jordan1
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 pm 
Post subject: starting nursery, need advice please
hi there;
my son is 10 months and started nursery last week. he is not settled at all in nurseery. he keeps crying all the time, refusing to have his milk or eat any food there!!! he can not sleep when he needs to there. when i pick him he is so exahusted from crying, he immediately takes his bottle and goes to sleep!!!!! help please what should i do? i feel that i need to get him out of nursery but i can not , i am student at university.
Shevi
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:49 pm 
Post subject:
Oh hunny, Im sure its so hard for you to see your baby like this, but you have move him, how long has he been going to this nursery for? Cant your parents look after him while you at Uni?
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:45 pm 
Post subject: Hi
Hi,

I can see your frustration, and i understand fully. I am a nursery nurse, and hopefully you will find my advice helpful. There are a few things you can do.

Firstly, depending on the nursery policy, you can ask them to restart the child's settling in period. During this time discuss ways in which you can settle your baby in, so that you are all happy. I understand that you are at uni, so this may be difficult. If there is someone else your baby feels comfortable with, they could help with the settling period. I would suggest a two week period. For the first 3 days or so you could stay for the session. This will help to settle your lil' one into the setting. For the 4 and 5th day, pop out of sight for 5- 10 minutes, then return and continue in the session. For the following week, gradually increase the time you leave the room, going from 10 on the first day. Increase the time by 5 or 10 minutes.

Also, it is important that you get into the habit of saying bye, as this will help your baby understand that you are going, but will return. Leaving without them noticing will confuse them, and they will not understand the concept of you leaving and returning.

Ask at the nursery for a key worker to be assigned to your baby. This person should act as the key carer within the nursery. They should stay with you and familiarize themself with your baby during the ntire settling period. This will help your baby bond and have a familar face to see.

It will be tough the first few days, but it always is. The worst case i have ever seen is a child feeling unsettled for about 3-4 weeks. But after a routine is established, they will soon learn to enjoy the time they spend doing a variety of activities.

If you feel completely unhappy with the way your child is settling, it may be worth trying another nursery or another option of childcare- i.e- nannies, child minders or relatives. Some children are used to their home surroundings, and therefore the best option may be a nanny. This will help you feel more at ease, and you know that one-2-one care is given.

Hope this helps. Should you need anymore help, just ask. I would like to know how you get on, so drop me a line ok hun.

Sophie
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:14 am 
Post subject:
Hi has your son been with you for the full 10months. If so, it is most probably quite strange surroundings for him.

Maybe you could try another nursery or a registered childerminder in your area. My mum is a registered childminder and the children who go to her get the one-to-one love, attention cuddles and the homely environment, maybe this may suit your son better???

I'm going back to work in October and I'm dreading the thought of it. Luckily my mum has a space for my lil girl, so at least it shouldn't be too bad!

Goodluck and I hope you find somewhere where your son feels safe. Smile
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:34 am 
Post subject:
how long has he been at the nursery? coz it will take some getting used to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Six Months to One Year All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular