When do you tell a child he was adopted?

Paarker
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 am 
Post subject: When do you tell a child he was adopted?
Or don't you tell about adoption at all?
Itís the most common questions I hear.
As for me, we should be honest from the start and children have a right to face the truth.
What do you think about this?
BlejnLuc
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:54 am 
Post subject:
Agree with you.
The details about adoption can be filled in over time, in an age-appropriate way, but we should be truthful with our kids about their past and who they are from the start.
We should not be concerned that it will be complicated, or that our children wonít understand tough material at certain ages. Not telling the truth can cause even bigger complications, that is suppressed truths, later discovered, can cause them.
iMary
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:22 am 
Post subject:
it was the norm to not tell a child they were adopted and to keep it closed for other generations. Now we have a wider understanding of how to love and support an adopted child while giving them connections to all their roots in adoption and birth.

it was so natural to talk about adoption with my daughter, she was 5 yrs old at that moment
actually, I thought it would be harder, but I found what words work and convey how I want to explain things.
AmelieH
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:10 pm 
Post subject:
it's up to adoptive parents to decide when to reveal the truth to a kid. the case is that most kids are adopted at age when they already have memories from previous life/families. Question
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular