Independent or agency?

Rose456
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:25 am 
Post subject: Independent or agency?
Hello! I am new to the world of surrogacy. But my husband and I have accepted that this is our only way of having a baby of our own. I am 45, my husband is 47. Due to the hormonal problems I canít getting pregnant. I have tried to treat but nothing. We realize that further fertility treatment could be a risk to my health. Furthermore, it could offer low success rates at my age. It is very painful to recognize that you canít have children. I have a twin brother and am very close to his daughters. I know I would be a great mum if I were given half a chance. The thing is that I donít quite well know how to deal with surrogate mother. I am considering two options. The first one is dealing directly with the surrogate mother. The other one is making contract with agency or clinic. I think it is much cheaper to deal directly with the surrogate. As I am from Britain, only altruistic surrogacy is permitted here. But of course, I would pay to that woman. I consider it a great job. But I donít know how much it will cost. Though I am not sure how it is reliable to contact directly. If a surrogate mother would like to take the baby back. I also donít know all the peculiarities of the procedure. I have seen a lot of ads of surrogates. However, it is very difficult to decide. I would appreciate it so much if you share your experience. I would like to start the process very soon. I would like to know some details of these both sides. It is better think twice before do it.
Mellanie12
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 am 
Post subject:
I think your question is really one of the most frequent. I am talking about it basing on my own experience. Three years ago I asked such question to myself. And only in a year I got the answer. That is the choice that should be made only by you. The situations can be very different. And everything is relative. ďShould I try to find my own surrogate?Ē really depends on lots of factors. You can find pitfall as with independent surrogacy as with agency. I know several couples that used independent surrogacy. Some of them were satisfied, some not. At the same time you can find out a lot of info about fraud agencies. Nobody can give guarantees in such situation.
Rose456
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:05 am 
Post subject:
I admit it. Talking about surrogacy through agency I would have to travel abroad. As I mentioned about commercial surrogacy is illegal here. That will also need a lot of money for doing overseas surrogacy, I suppose. For example, I saw costs for surrogacy in USA. It is completely unaffordable for me. And dealing independently I think it is not so expensive.
Mellanie12
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:07 pm 
Post subject:
From this point of view it can minimalize the expenses. If your reasons for avoiding an agency are just financial, sit down and calculate what you expect to pay. Then, you can compare the price list of different agencies. You can do it not only in USA. As for me I did surrogacy in Ukraine. It was much cheaper than in USA. Anyway agency fees can be more, you may be surprised that the difference is not that significant. At some point you will have to have a lawyer anyway. Many agency fees include attorneyís fees. Surrogates can incur several thousand dollars of unanticipated costs. An agency will give detailed description of expenses. Discussions about money are often embarrassing. What would you do, for example, if your surrogate asked for some of her fee before she delivered? Wouldnít you feel as if you had no choice? After all, if you say no, you run the risk of alienating her. If you agree, you appear easy to manipulate. You will depend too much on your surrogate. In any case you will need a lawyer. But good lawyer means a lot of money, too. Thatís why I am not sure if you can minimize expenses in such way. I think independent surrogacy is suitable for those who already have a surrogacy match or can use a relative or a friend as a surrogate mother..
Rose456
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
No, unfortunately I donít know anyone who could be surrogate mother. I mean among my friends or relatives. And if I had I am not sure that I would want it. For me it would be inconvenient to ask about this. I think it will look strange. I would like to deal with unknown person. Despite financial part, certainly I would like to have a healthy surrogate.
Mellanie12
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:04 pm 
Post subject:
Youíve said about health. You are right. I find it is the most important point, too. The surrogate mother has to be healthy as physically as psychologically. She will be responsible for a baby during the nine months. And how will you check it if you are going to deal with a surrogate directly. How do imagine it? On the contrary, most agencies or clinics have a number of checks and balances. They try to realize psychological control to determine whether the surrogate is a mature, intelligent, responsible woman. Surrogate also passes a list of medical examinations. They also need to de compatible. The good clinics or agencies have significant experience with surrogates. The agencyís personnel also may be able to give you good advice about the woman. When I was undergoing surrogacy program the clinic chose the suitable surrogate for us. Our surrogate mother was under control from the part of the clinic. So we didnít worry so much. There was a coordinator that was responsible for her. In my case the clinic was mediator. Moreover, we didnít need to look after our surrogate mother. Because we knew she was under control. There was an obligatory condition for her to have at least one healthy child of her own.
Rose456
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:12 pm 
Post subject:
But how were you sure that everything was ok with your surrogate mother. So you did surrogacy in Ukraine. How often did you go to visit your surrogate mother? For it seems a little bit frightening to know that your surrogate is abroad. In any case you canít visit her every day. At least you could travel in a month. And the rest of a time you were unaware about her, her life, how she behaved.
Mellanie12
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:56 pm 
Post subject:
Of course, I didnít visit her too much. I am sure it wasnít necessary. There were people who took care about her. If I asked I was given the medical results concerning her health. During the pregnancy I saw her twice. We were permitted to be present at ultrasound checks. It was not obligatory.Many intended parents donít come. But we decided to attend it. In case if we did come to ultrasound check we received ultrasound protocol with video and photos. Thus I think we were quite aware about the pregnancy, how the fetus was developing. It was a great pleasure to see the new changes. I was also pleasantly surprised with our surrogate mother. She was very good Ėlooking and nice woman.It is a well-known fact that the women are very beautiful in Ukraine. During the one ultrasound our surrogate mother took with her her daughter. It was very pretty girl of five years. Our surrogate was very attentive to her. Thus after seeing them together I wasnít worry about her. I had some worries concerning the delivery and so on. But I was sure that this woman would be so attentive to me baby too.My personal opinion is that the clinic helps to handle stress and confrontation between intended parents and a surrogate. This is an extremely important area to evaluate. I think surrogacy arrangements can have some conflicts. Without a neutral third party, you will have to resolve any difficulties on your own. Perhaps a different way of thinking about this issue involves your own relationship. Being able to have an objective listener, being able to voice your concerns, being able to ďvent,Ē without the fear of being judged is immensely valuable. It is much more confortable to have a mediator. You and surrogate mother will have some rights and obligation to each other. And the clinic or the agency will look you stick them. Working with clinics you wouldnít have to solve the problems directly. The clinic can help you. As for me we didnít have any troubles with our surrogate. The process ran smoothly.
Rose456
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:58 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with you. You have touched the important points. What happens if the surrogate wants to abort? Or refuses doing it against the medial prescription? Perhaps I was mistaken thinking that it could be not less expensive doing it directly. And how much did you pay for your surrogacy program? I just want to compare the expenses.
Mellanie12
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:13 pm 
Post subject:
The packages for the program can vary. As for me I did surrogacy program in BioTexCom. I had all inclusive package with guarantee. That guarantee meant that I could have unlimited attempts until there were positive result. It cost 30 000 euro. The clue point that I didnít have to pay any extra fees. Everything was included. There was also transfer, meal and accommodation in the contract. And of course there were included all the medical analysis such as karyotype or DNA. That is very expensive. Before going to that clinic we also compared a lot. We changed our opinions a lot. We started thinking with independent surrogacy and finished it in Ukraine. Before inquiring we were not so well aware about surrogacy in Ukraine. That in fact turned to be very successful. In the beginning I said that everywhere are frauds. My good acquainted went for surrogacy to India. As a result they donít have baby. They spent a lot of money. And now they are thinking to for surrogacy to Ukraine.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular