fussy eater

gemznboys
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:31 am 
Post subject: fussy eater
my 5 year old is such a fussy eater, he hardley eats anything! he would live off pasta if he could Rolling Eyes when he was smaller he would eat anything i put in front of him but now there are few things he likes, and he wont try anything new if he doesnt like the look of it Confused
does anyone have any tips to encourage him to eat a bigger variety of foods and try new things?? xx

Floop
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:34 pm 
Post subject:
Im very lucky in that so far none of mine are fussy. However if I want Jessica to eat something new I get her too help. Its not always easy but at least she sees what it is and whats done with it.

Have you tried making a pizza with him? You can buy bases in tesco or a packet of base mix (cheaper) Smile

Annoy me and I will sit on you.... and it will hurt! Smile
gemznboys
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:30 pm 
Post subject:
thanx floop, i forgot about this...
yeah he helps me cook, hes also made pizza and at school too his exact words were 'well thats discusting, you eat it if you want Rolling Eyes

i remember being really fussy as a child though, and i genuinley didnt like the things i said i didnt so maybe hes just like me Rolling Eyes oh well thanx for the advice ill just keep trying...x

Sakura
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 pm 
Post subject:
hello! dont worry, my eldest is a fussy eater too - i just posted in the bed wetting section and am wondering whether his eating may also be linked as it seems to be a psychological thing....

when Evan was a baby he ate not a problem but at about 18 months he choked on some banana and it was game over. he's been fussy ever since. i dont think it helped that he didnt get his 1st tooth until he was 1year so he was always a bit behind. its not that he doesnt like diff flavours, its all to do with texture with him. im getting so worried because he looks so pale and tired sometimes and i know if he just ate a bit more he'd feel better Sad

our main problem is dinner time. he just refuses to eat anything at all. during the day, he will eat cereal, bananas, yoghurts, grapes, crisps, cereal bars, bread etc etc and is totally fine with it all but come dinner time he wont touch a thing. as soon as he sees his dinner plate, he purposely makes himself gag, choke then throw up before its barely touched his lips. he just wont eat. occasionally, we'll find something a success but then he'll go off it a few weeks later and it seems we give him the same old stuff every day because he eats so little. we even resorted to doing things like typical kids favs, ie: pizza, chicken nuggets, smilies but he wont touch any of it, esp meat. he has recently been able to eat a breaded chicken breast but wont touch any other meat and he hates veg. i get so disheartened with it because i just want to see some food go down his neck and am worried he's not getting enough vits n minerals. as with the bed wetting, weve tried everything we can think of with this too and am thinking we might have to give in and take him to the docs.
shootingstars
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:00 pm 
Post subject:
I saw this and thought of you guys x

http://www.supernanny.co.uk

May find some useful tips on there, it will be like have Jo Frost at home without the ear ache x

zoesmum
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:12 am 
Post subject:
My 5 and a half little girl Amy is exactly the same!! she would live off of pasta if she could, she used to eat anything at all when she was little and now she wont try anything new she just eats the same set of about 4 different meals, i find it quite worrying because she looks thin to me although my mum said i was exactly the same when i was her age... i cant get her to try anything new, my youngest zoe is 21 months and she eats absolutely everything which is brill! but i just hope she doesnt follow in the same footsteps as her big sister Sad Sad
hannahthompson
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 am 
Post subject:
If he has a favorite food he likes to eat, bring it on his/her plate, maybe he/she will feel more comfy around other foods on the dish. Then try mix it with other things on his/or her plate. Sometimes it takes 20 xs for a child to try something new. It is a lot but seeing pattern and routine they like will be familiar for him to try. if tat don't work let him touch and have fun with the food. He might just try it, and like it.
Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 pm 
Post subject:
my 9 yr old has always been fussy..
he has cheese pizza but doesnt like cheese so he takes the topping off..
he knows if I give him different fish fingers or chicken nuggets,,
he wont eat casseroles. lasagne, pie.. doesnt like much veg.. wont eat curry he is a nightmare! lol..hopefully one day he will grow out of it
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
megailsa
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 am 
Post subject:
Hi all,

I’m writing a blog article for a back to school campaign based around providing a healthy lunch - especially for fussy eaters!
Do you always go for a packed lunch to be sure they will eat or are the new healthy school meals better to help them try new things? Is the cost or nutrition is more important to you, or have you’ve found that you can offer something healthy for less?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Five Years plus All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular