ttc

kerplunk
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:05 pm 
Post subject: ttc
we've been married for 5 years now and made the conscious decision as soon as we married to not use any contraceptives. I'm STILL not pregnant!! last week i went to get some advice from my GP and i've had a 21-day ovulation blood test done and have been referred to a fertility clinic. The dr told me the best time to conceive is between 7-10 days before the first day of my period but i did an online ovulation calculation and this was totally contradictory to what the dr told me. i really don't get it. Also, admittedly both my husband and I are not in great shape, we are trying to lose weight but are now worried that when we get to the clinic they're gonna send us away again and we'll be back to square one. I'm feeling anxious, panicky and stressed out, which on top of everything is apparently not the best state of mind to get pregnant in. Anybody got any advice on what to expect when we get to the clinic?[/b]
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:10 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Kerplunk,
Well the doctors told me that you ovulate 14 days before day 1 if that makes sense. This part is fixed but its knowing when day 14 is if you don't have a 28 dys cycle. I used ovulation sticks for a while and they tell you when you are about to ovulate, next 48hrs. However they say that the egg only stays viable for 24hrs. The advice we have been given is to have sex every other day always and not more as sperm can't develope any quicker. Don't worry about your fitness or weight this will just stress you out and is not always a problem. Taking gentle walks in the fresh air can do wonders for your state of mind and can help weight loss, so might be worth a go if you can fit them in!
I'd be interested to hear how you get on, take care -Minxy
Jup
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:23 pm 
Post subject:
I've been ttc for just over a year and last month I got referred to a fertility doctor. Like you i've had the day 21 blood test and also the day 2 blood test. (I've got to have 3 lots of day 21 day blood tests - my 2nd one is tomorrow).

The fertility doctor just really checked my bmi and general health, did another blood test (prolactin) and checked to make sure my cervix was ok.

Then I was told to come back again in 2 months with my blood test results from the day 21 blood tests and for my husband to see his gp regarding a sperm test (which he won't go!).

Not sure if you'll have the same tests. But bd every other day and most people ovulate 14 days before the start of there next af, and most importantly try not to stress.

Let me know how you get on.
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:17 pm 
Post subject:
hey Minxy and jup

well we went for the first appointment and my 21-day blood test results were waiting there for me, unfortunately it was inconclusive, leading the doctor to suspect i may have Polycystic ovaries because of my irregular periods, weight and acne problem. I now have to have blood tests done on day 2, day 21, day 25 and day 28 to get a clearer indication on whether i'm ovulating, to check my production of oestrogen and my thyroid and prolactin (i tell you it's a good job hubby was there because i'm sooo bad at retaining information like this, it'd have gone in one ear and out the other Confused ) The good news is that if it is Polycystic ovaries apparently it's easily cured and i will be able to conceive with fertility drugs without the need for IVF. Hope you're both getting on ok, take care Smile
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:57 am 
Post subject:
Hi Kerplunk, I have PCOS myself and have been given Metformin & Clomid to help me to fall before they take me in for surgery to check out my tubes and do a proceedure called 'Ovarian drilling' sounds a lot worse than it is. They make 4 small holes each side of each ovary i believe this is to make it easier for the ovaries to release eggs, to be honest if it improves my chances I don't care what they do! If after six months this doesn't work we get to have IVF which disappointingly has only a 20% chance of working. But we must try to stay possitive and keep everything but my legs crossed lol. take care all best of luck xx
xMandyx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:24 pm 
Post subject:
I just want to say to you all try and stay positive. I tried for 6 years to have a baby and I ended up conceiving naturally after being told by my doctor that I wouldn't without assistance. I am living proof that the doctors don't always know best

Feel free to PM me if you have any concerns or questions about the procedures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Fertility Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular