Epidural or Natural?

littlebopeep
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:47 pm 
Post subject: Epidural or Natural?
Hi everyone! I'm very new to this site, and as I am only at a mere 7 weeks, I obviously have plenty of time to think about these things. I know everyone experiences slight differences during labor due to body types and all that fun stuff, but I would really enjoy a general opinion from everyone! My bf and I both agree that it would probably be best for me to try and tough it out, BUT easier said than done! I'm terrified of the idea of having doctors poke around in my spinal column and the bad outcomes that could occur from it. yet am also worried about how excruciating the pain will be without an epidural! I know that in the end it will all be worth it and the pain will cease to exist once my baby is in my arms. Any and all suggestions will be very much appreciated! Laughing
carey554
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:53 pm 
Post subject:
thats a hard one im six weeks now and havent really thought bout epidural until now i would see how things go when in early stages of labour.if it gets too much 4 me i wud try gas and air if thats no good,id probley giv epidural a go!!
stephanieclarke
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 am 
Post subject:
i convinced myself i was not going to have an epidural,because it can effect your walking afterwards and you can have numbness for weeks,sometimes motnhs,when i was in labour with my son,i found it so incredibly painful that i thought i had to have more pain relief,i had had 2 lots of pethidin(which made me so sick,it was unreal)-and basically the contractions are still as painful but it made the inbetween contractions abit more comfortable(i was just falling asleep)
...so had a consultant walk in to administer epdiural,at this point quite far into labour,but not progressing much,he could not seem to administer the medication out of the injection,he then called for someone else to try,and three more needle after going into my spine,they found i was ready to push and although i never had any epidural for pain relief,i have had a dreadful back ever since now 14 months after and nerve damage for 3 months afterwards and felt like i had no legs all the time and felt extremely uncomfortable to walk.
from my experience it has scared me out of epidural,but i think if you go in early and say you want one,it will probably be more straight forward,i have heard it takes all the pain anyway nearly all together
good luck!!xx
jayellejay
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:33 am 
Post subject:
I would just say to you that when you decide what you want to have etc that your partner knows exactly what you want too (because they ask you to write birth plans, but i never saw the midwifes looking at mine or anything!) because i had a very long labour and was having string contractions but was only 2cm dilated and 24 hours later after a painful day(i did have one injection of pethidine which made me doze for about an hour on and off) the doctor (she wasnt very nice!) said to me i think you should have an epidural (which i didnt want). i said no and was so exhausted i think she was trying to tlak me into it, my partne rknew i didnt want one and so he shouted at the doctor and said i didnt want one ( this was, by the way, when i was i was fully dilated and pushing with each contraction) - the midwife said to me that i didnt need to have oneit was only the doctor that was trying to get me to have one - think to make her job easier becuase i ended up having forcep delivery because baby was stuck on my pelivs and just ramming his head aginst it with every push, so god knows how an epidural will have helped me anyway - the baby wasnt going to come out without a little encouragment!!
Anyway.. im not trying to put you off or make you scared(sorry if that happened!!) im just saying that just make sure your partner knows becuase he will have to stand his ground if they try to get you to have things you dont want! Also every birth is completely different, my cousin's waters broke so they went to the hospital, she was given the injections to start contractions, an hour later she was fully dilated and after 13 minutes of pushing she had her son!!( so it was about 2 1/2 hours altogether she was in the hospital before giving birth! I was there 33 hours!!

xxx
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, i am too scared of someone sticking something in my spine. Im gona try and go natural. Although i bet i change my mind at the time lol Very Happy xx
littlebopeep
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:18 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks everyone! You're opinions have helped me quite a bit in my decision making! Very Happy Haha, i agree Mikhaela, I will more than likely be screaming for an epidural after the fact as well, but I'm beginning to see that the pains of labor are looking much more appealing than the possible long term and short term after effects of an epidural. Thanks again, ladies!! xx
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:05 pm 
Post subject:
hi i was determined to have just gas and air and if ur determined u wont have an epidural no matter what! my second labour was 55 hours long from 3cm dilated till finished! was having contractions every 1 min so know what a difficult labour is like. actually giving birth it actually was agonising but afterwards u can get straight up, have a bath, and within a few mins a forgot about the pain! well this is my third so it couldnt have put me off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular