how much pain relief does an epidural provide?

wildthingv8
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:23 pm 
Post subject: how much pain relief does an epidural provide?
My apologies if this sounds silly to anyone! Laughing
I am hoping to try for another baby this year (my daughter is 6yrs old) but the thought of giving birth again fills me with some dread!
My daughter was born naturally with the aid of a little gas & air, yes it was painful so much so when I pushed her out it felt like the midwife was holding a blow torch to me!
This time round i'm thinking of having an epidural to help relieve some of the pain but will this actually relieve the 'blow 'torch' feeling?!
Any advice / reassurance would be much appreciated!
stephanieclarke
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:49 am 
Post subject:
i had a few problems when they tried to administer epidural with my first baby,so has put me off now no matter what pain im going through

but alot of people have reccommened it,it is supposed to block the pain almost entirely,but it is supposed to slow down labour as well,but on the advantage side as you wont be going through so much pain you wont feel so exhausted from it

its a hard call,ask your midwife if she thinks you would benefit from it his time round once you do concieve
punkin21
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:48 pm 
Post subject:
i just had my baby in nov, first one and i had an epidural. i don't know what i would of done with out it!
i give you kuddos for going without!
AFter i had my epidural at maybe 4 pm, i lost all feeling below my stomach, i mean the only way i knew i was having a contraction was the monitor, when it came time to push though i started feeling the "urge to push" i pushed the way the nurse said but was never totally sure i was ding it the right way because i couldn't feel it, i had my baby at 8:41 pm.
the only adverse effect i had was that itched EVERYWHERE, and the doctor said to try and ignore it because it was a reaction to the epidural and no matter how hard i scratched i wouldn't satisfiy the itch.
if i had another baby i would use the epidural.
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:05 pm 
Post subject:
both girls i gave birth to with just gas and air. with my first i had the exact feeling ur describing, however, with my second i was determined to have no epidural and its a completely different feeling. the burning sensation isnt as bad as it is with ur first.
darlingbaby
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:05 am 
Post subject:
I have a "unique" anatomy that makes it impossible for the epidural to work on both sides of my body no matter what they try. For both of my labors I was numb on my left side and felt everything on my right, but the real agony was having the strongest impulse to move to relieve pain, but being stuck in the bed because I only had use of one leg!
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:57 am 
Post subject:
I gave birth to my 1st child in October using Gas&Air and Tens Machine.
I also made sure that i prepared myself mentally by purchasing CDs from www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk. I also bought a book on Hypno Birthing - 'The Mongan Method'.

This book mentioned perineal massage! Embarassed It did work, as i didn't need any stitches and also the burning sensation wasn't as extreme as i was told it would be. However, i didn't do the massage as often as it told me to do so in the book, but i found that even a few sessions helped!

The massage prepares & loosens the muscles ready for child birth. The first few times i did feel the burning sensation, but i persevered.

Also, they do say it is a lot easier the second time round! Very Happy

So do a search on the internet for 'PERINEAL MASSAGE'! Embarassed Smile
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:23 pm 
Post subject: xx
hi this is my 1st pregnancy and im planning on having epidurle. iv hered that labour is sooo painful and im rubbish with pain.but if i can cope i will try go as long as i can with gas and air.
iv hered of that massage and def ganna give it a try lol. do u use oil?? xx
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hi I was very nervous about giving birth, as i heard sooo many horror stories and also like you not very good with pain!

However,I prepared myself mentally and physically and it really did help! I ended up opting for a home birth.

I started using a maternity TENS machine & the gas & air for the last 2hours of labour, i was in labour for approx 16hours.

Yes you use oil ,as this also helps the perineal tissues to soften, but avoid perfumed oils, (suggestions virgin olive oil, almond oil or lubricating gel).

in the book they recommend that you practice the massage 6-8 weeks prior to birth, 5mins every day.

Goodluck! Very Happy
Sadmummy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:50 am 
Post subject:
Hi I was the same as you and extremely low threshold for pain. I had epidurals for both my kids and oh my goodness I am trying for No 3 and I will use it again. There was absolutely no pain just and it was such a relaxing childbirth. As soon as my children were born I was calm and could immediately bond with them without exhaustion. I do not know if it delayed my labour cos with my first I had contarctions from 10 am and I only went to the hospital at 600 when the contractions were very close and the epidural was administered soon after. I gave birth at 10.30. With my second I only started to get mild contractions at about 3pm and I delivered around 10.20 pm so I dont really think the epidural delayed things for me . I admit that it caused me a bit of nausea and I threw up but that is nothing compared the pain of the contractions I had before I took it!!!!. But if you want epidural do it early. Dont wait until your contractions are almost one on top of the other cos you have to be still when they administer so it is good to do it earlier when your contractions are still a sometime apart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular