Temporary contract and maternity benefits . . ..please Help

bubblyke
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:38 pm 
Post subject: Temporary contract and maternity benefits . . ..please Help
I have been employed within an employer january 2010. I was originally employed on a 6 month contract. This was then verbally extended month by month and I was told that they were looking to put in more money for my role for the following budget(2011). I was told twice verbally that the budget had been approved in dec 10 and jan 11. I then told my employer in jan 2011 that I was pregnant. After that I had a conversation with HR and my manager which said that they would continue my contract on a monthly rolling contract which is what I am on now and it may be terminated if the census of the hospital drops. I then asked for information regarding maternity leave and pay and was told that they would terminate my contract before my maternity leave started and I would have to apply to the job centre for my SMP. I was also told that I do not have a right to come back to my position after my maternity leave. I was told I would need to reapply for another position.
I feel this is unfair on various levels because census has not dropped so they have no financial basis for dismissing me and they have increased the hours of a colleague. I have only ever received praise for my work so they have no performance related basis for dismissing me. I feel they would not be ending my contract if I was not pregnant. I feel I am being discriminated against. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and have as I said before been working there for over a year. I am due to start maternity leave on 27th june. Is there anything I can do about my situation? Where do I stand and what should I do

Last edited by bubblyke on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm 
Post subject: Re: Temporary contract and maternity benefits . . ..please H
[.....I feel they would be ending my contract if I was not pregnant. ]

Hi, I just wanted to check if you meant that you feel they WOULDNT be ending your contract if you were not pregnant?

Only wanting to double check as this is my sisters area of employment so will check it with her. Let me know when you get a minute freex
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: Temporary contract and maternity benefits . . ..please H
komolafe wrote:
[.....I feel they would be ending my contract if I was not pregnant. ]

Hi, I just wanted to check if you meant that you feel they WOULDNT be ending your contract if you were not pregnant?

Only wanting to double check as this is my sisters area of employment so will check it with her. Let me know when you get a minute freex

Hi

thanks for the reply. yeah i don't think they would be ending my employment if i was not pregnant.
ta x
Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
ok, i will ask my sis for you and let you know asap x
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 am 
Post subject:
as far as i am aware the company that you are employed by before you go on maternity should pay your smp whether you are still employed by them or not.

Also all employers have to keep your role open for you to return back to after maternity leave but as you are only on a temporary contract i don't think they have any obligation to do this but they should still pay you your smp.

have you tried speaking to your local cab??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular