jus bout to try controlled crying have a ? need quick answer

simmons247
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:27 pm 
Post subject: jus bout to try controlled crying have a ? need quick answer
Hi

My baby only 4 wks but she already geting into bad habits, she wont sleep unless held and although she eventually settles at night it takes me bout 3 hours then i have trouble again 4am onwards, so iam getting bout 3 hours every nite, iam single and jus cant cope any longer so have decided to try controlled crying ...

The thing is i no that iam going to have a problem when it comes to not picking her up when you go to check, because she will not be soothed by a touch and comforting words, i no cause that bit i have tried
tirednewmum
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:53 pm 
Post subject:
Hi
I would strongly advise you NOT to do controlled crying as your baby is far too young. I have read extensively about controlled crying as my daughter was a poor sleeper from day one (awake 16 hours a day on a bad day from about three weeks old), and ALL advice is to only attempt this technique when your baby is over six months old (many reasons including increased risk of cot death). I took advice from health visitor, searched on the internet and also read "How to solve your childs sleep problems" by Dr Ferber (invented controlled crying) which reinforced not do do this until 6 months.
There may be many causes why a baby so young is having problems sleeping and please please speak to your health visitor/GP as controlled crying would not be useful in such a young baby. Supernanny Jo Frost suggests using the gradual retreat method for example so it may be worth giving this a try.
mrspirate
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:35 pm 
Post subject:
Please read baby bliss by Dr Harvey Karp before you do anything. I would stronly advise that you are expecting too much from your baby yet, at 4 weeks they have no rhythem and need you to help them. Please do not try controlled crying on your baby yet -it's far far far too young.
joshlibmum
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:36 pm 
Post subject: controlled crying
just tried controlled crying for the first time tonight its heartbreaking left my 5 month old for 35mins just kept going in to stroke her back still sobbing in her sleep. Cat naps all day and all night so trying this
Loobylou
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:28 pm 
Post subject: Controlled crying
Hi there

dont know if this will be any good but do you use the sleep/gro bags?? the reason i ask is because i wouldnt consider them at first but now i strongly reccommend them, my LO is now 11 weeks and sleeps 7.30-11, then 11-4 and 4 till 7.30 she is sleeping in her own cot in our room. When we were taking her out to feed during the night it would take her ages to settle again sometimnes not at all, a friend of mine told me to try the sleeping bags as your baby will remain nice and warm and will not feel the coolness of the bed when you put them back in. It honestly does work, i have now also started the bath, feed and bed routine and that is working really well but i always give my baby a deep bath upto her neck as they like to be submerged in water rather then a couple of inches in a baby bath.

I dont know if any of this helps but i hope you get some well earned sleep soon

Louise xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular