Baby sign language

Zaarambar
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 pm 
Post subject: Baby sign language
Has anyone of you experience and knowledge of baby sign language? My son is a year old and not happy at all. He wants to do things but cant. Sometimes its hard to understand him. So Ive seen it somewhere that mothers are doing these sign language and the child corresponds with hands until it is able to talk. Would that solve my problem?
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi I bought I dvd from Early learning called "Sing & Sign" My lil girl has started picking up a few of the signs and I'm learning them with her too.

They have a website where you can see if they have classes in your area. http://www.singandsign.co.uk/classes/map.php

Goodluck may be worth looking into
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 am 
Post subject:
hey Zaar

I've heard conflicting things about this. Another mum I know thinks its great, but my HV told me its a waste of time, and can actually slow down speech development as the baby gets lazy about talking. She advised us not to go (there were classes in my town which I was going to try out) as Isaac was born with a cleft palate and she said we have to be v careful about anything that could potentially discourage speech development.

There's a book called 'small talk' (don't remeber the author) but it explains a bit about signing in there.

Hope that helps

Anna
xx
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:18 am 
Post subject:
i did it with my daughter from 6 months by about 9 months she had opicked up a fair few signs, but i didn't use it enough so gave up in the end. but my friends little girl did it for age until about 18 moinths to 2 years and she stopped because her daughter stopped signing and actually just said the words.
in my opinion it improves speech but i can understand the different views like devon mum said.
i would book one term of the classes and if you don't enjoy it don't go again. the classes atre great as they do singing books and playing too and the sign is just a part of it
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:25 am 
Post subject:
that's good advice amy - I was a bit miffed rly cos I wanted to try it out, but HV was adamant we shouldn't Sad
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:56 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for your advise. I think I still try it out and see. Because at teh moment its very frustrating. And it could be my solution.
RobertKurtzSLP
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:39 pm 
Here's a link to an article about baby signs:

http://www.speech-language-development.com/baby-sign-language.html

I've also got a link on there to a site with video demonstrations of more signs than you'll ever need, so you don't need to buy anything.

Using signs does NOT impede speech development. (How many older, non-deaf children do you know who have decided to stick with signs and not bother with oral speech?)

Unless you are super-fluent in sign language and use it to the exclusion of oral speech, your child will reach a point in development where he will need to move beyond what s/he's able to do with signs, and move to speaking aloud.

As a speech therapist, I've used signs with many of my child clients, as well as with my own children, and I consider singing one of the most valuable tools available to me.

Regards,
Robert
Linzxx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
interesting...but not for me...i would rather my child communicate wiv speech as best he can...he usually makes his self understood Smile
Aisling
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:45 pm 
I bought Bamba's First Comforts for my sister's 8 month old and she started signing in a matter of weeks - she's a year old now and chatting away. She started signing when she wanted a drink it was amazing! The whole family was playing with the signs that the monkey Bamba was teaching - it got her past that time when they know what they want but can't speak yet. It definitely works. I bought it off Amazon but I'm sure you can get it from other places.
Zaarambar
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:01 am 
Post subject: Re: Baby sign language
Aisling wrote:
I bought Bamba's First Comforts for my sister's 8 month old and she started signing in a matter of weeks - she's a year old now and chatting away. She started signing when she wanted a drink it was amazing! The whole family was playing with the signs that the monkey Bamba was teaching - it got her past that time when they know what they want but can't speak yet. It definitely works. I bought it off Amazon but I'm sure you can get it from other places.

Thats a great idea, Aisling. I just had a look at amazon. Its fun. I just see if i find it cheaper in ebay. Thanks you very much!

monkeymum
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:55 am 
Post subject: Baby signing
Hi,

I took my daughter to signing classes when she was about 7months and haven't regretted it at all. As long as you continue to say the words to them as you sign then if anything I think the language skills are brought on even quicker. Our classes were free and run at our local community centre.

I found the best thing was the ability to just use signs that were relevant, so we focused on mealtimes and found we had a lot less tantrums as soon as she realised all she had to do is sign "All done" after a meal and we'd stop immediately, rather than trying for the next 20mins for "just one more spoon"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular