Am I mad to be considering a 22hr flight with a 28month old!

becki82
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:37 pm 
Post subject: Am I mad to be considering a 22hr flight with a 28month old!
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are considering going to oz in December, our little girl will be 28 months old by then. We are planning to go with my mum and brother as my oldest brother lives in Sydney.
Has any one on here done such a long haul flight with a toddler? I'm just really worried how we'd manage on the flight, usually she sleeps really well at home in her cot, just not sure how she would sleep on the flight, we will be getting a seat for her but not sure how comfie she would be to sleep.

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received. Just don't know what to do!! Shall we go for it this december or leave it for another few years!

Please help xx
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:28 pm 
Post subject:
We went to mauritius which was a 12 hour flight there and 15 back (had to emergency stop in africa!) and it was fine. luckily there was 10 of us so we could pass him around so as soon as he got bored with 1 person he got moved onto the next!! We had a night flight so i assumed he would sleep fine on the flight (we had a cot at the front of plane - which was far too small for him though!! and he sleeps well normally)but he didnt he only slept 4 hours!! there was lots of other babies on flight though so i didnt mind too much when he was getting grizzly! but generally he was fine and loved walking up and down aisle all cabin crew were really good too

becki82
Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
Hey thanks for reply, quick question did the airline supply your little one with a car seat equivalent for the flight or did he just sit in the normal chair, I'm just concerned to how comfie she will get on the flight and how she will sleep.
Still can't decide if to go for it or not!! X
Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 pm 
Post subject:
As he was under 2 he had to sit on my lap! So I guess that's why he didn't sleep too well as it wasn't very comfy! I think if children are over 2 they just have a normal seat, I don't think they supply baby seats.

xTEGx
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:36 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

We're off to New Zealand in October and our son will be 28 months as well. So our flight will be slightly longer. We're flying from the UK. Don't have any advice flying this distance with a toddler but we did fly to NZ last January when our son was 8 months old.

That flight was awful but mainly because he was too big for the bassinet and just wouldn't sleep at all.

I'm not worried about our flight this Octoer, yes I'll be glad once we get there and also once we get back home but like you, he'll have his own seat and I think our son sleeps better now and hopefully with a pillow here and a pillow there he'll be able to get some decent sleep. We are flying in the evening so hopefully that will help as well.

I really don't know how it's going to pan out but we'll take as much entertaining stuff for him as we can, hopefully the 'terrible two's' won't rear it's ugly head too much and if all else fails, we'll just have to keep giving him his dummy (I'm trying to wean that off him at the moment) and a few bottles of milk now and then.

You've got your mum and brother with you so their help should go a long way. I say go to Oz. If you can afford it I wouldn't leave it for another few years. How exciting it would be to be able to go and see your brother. It's one flight (& back) and you'll have an amazing time.

Loads of people travel with young kids so you won't be alone. I know it's not going to be a party but I'm just looking at it as one big adventure.

We've even started taking our son to the airport every other weekend. He loves looking at planes and walking inside the airport etc.

Good luck.

Tania. x
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:22 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Tania, thanks for reply. I think we re gonna go for it, it does worry me but I think hey ho 24 hr flight soon passes!! And with four adults I'm sure we ll be able to entertain her!
Who are u flying with? Are you taking a car seat or will your lo just sit on the chair?
How long u going for? X
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Becki,

We are flying with Air New Zealand via Hong Kong. We flew with Emirates last year and while they are a good airline you have an extra stop with them and that just didn't suit us at all with a baby/toddler.

Not taking a carseat. Hasn't crossed my mind. We don't have a carseat that you could take on board a flight anyway. Has your airline mentioned that you need one???

As far as I'm aware our son will just sit on his seat when we take off and land otherwise he can sit on one of our laps like last time (they give you a belt extension).

I think you should go for it. Like you said, you have plenty of spare hands to help out and keep your daughter entertained and given extra cuddles when she needs them.

Oh we are going for a month.

Tania. x
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:40 pm 
Post subject:
Hey we ve not booked our flights yet planning to do it in the next few weeks, I was reading on some sites about people taking on car seats. Apparently some airlines supply a car seat equivalent thing!! I'm just not sure how it's gonna work re car seat at the other end in Sydney when we go from airport into central Sydney. There's just so many things to think about aaahhh!!.
I bet you can't wait, have u got family over there?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:29 am 
Post subject:
Doh! I should have realised you hadn't booked you've flights yet.

I'm from New Zealand so my whole family lives there. We go back pretty much every year but this will be the second time with our son. It's getting closer now, so yeah, I can't wait. It's going to be even better this time round as our son (& your daughter) is that much older.

Could you take a bus from the airport into Sydney. Maybe you can get your brother to look into the carseat issues from his end.

When we went last time, my mum hired a carseat for us from Plunket (Child Health Service in NZ) and so when they picked us up, the carseat had already been installed.

There are a lot of things to think about but when I compare to last time it's not as daunting. Less bottles and our son pretty much eats what we eat. Although I will check with the airline again (can't remember what was said when I booked the flights last year) regarding his food. He only has one nap now so we won't have to be looking at our watches all the time and trying to convert it back to UK time trying to work out when his next nap is. So that should be easier. He's talking now so hopefully in a few months time, we'll be able to understand him a bit more as well, so that should make things a bit easier as well.

Although I'm under no illusion that this is going to be fun, I just know that however it goes, it is going to be worth it and the flight will probably go better than expected. Well that's my experience when talking to other people.

Tania. x
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou for your response, I'm feeling more confident about doing it, so now looking into flights etc. I've seen online some sights that u can hire car seats etc and can collect from airport so pleased about that. I'm gonna get my brother to look into things.
I bet your excited to seeing your family. I bet they can't wait to see you little boy.
X
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:54 pm 
Post subject:
My parents especially can't wait to see us, but mainly they can't wait to see their grandson, lol. It's just going to be great seeing him getting to know all his cousins. This time around, he'll be able to interact and play with them all.

I really think you guys will be fine. Probably easy for me to say, as I've already experience this long flight with our son as a baby but with your mum and brother coming as well, you'll probably end up wondering what all the worry was about.

The way I see it is that your brother lives on the other side of the world, so how great it will be for you all to go and visit as a family. Yes it's a long flight, but that's just it, a long flight that will be over within a day.

All the best with booking your flights. Let me know how you get on.

Tania. x
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou so much, I'm started to feel excited!!
Sounds like your gonna have an amazing time, I bet your little man will be spoilt rotten! They change so quickly and there only young once!
I also think these people we meet on the flight we ll never see again so if my little girl is a nightmare I ll (hopefully) never see these people again !!

Let me know how your trip goes, I'm sure the next few months will fly by and then you ll be off!
X
Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:30 am 
Post subject:
Thanks.

I will definitely let you know how our flight and the holiday goes.

If (and I say if) you get attitude from any people on your flight, just let it go over your head. They obviously don't have children and if they do, shame on them. And yes, you won't see them again, so what does it matter.

Take care.

Tania.x
Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:34 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for all your responses, has been really nice talking to someone about it. X
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:14 am 
Post subject:
Yay we gave now booked our flights!! Flying just after Xmas so Sydney for new year can't wait!! X
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular