Am I mad to be considering a 22hr flight with a 28month old!

xTEGx
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 pm 
Post subject:
That's great. Always becomes real once the tickets are booked. We are just under 4 months until we fly out.

Who are you flying with??

Had my 1st stressful thought (in the middle of the night) a few nights back. Was thinking that the toilets on the plane are quite cramped, right, and last time when George was 8 months changing him in there was manageable because there was a changing table above the toilet but even that was a squash. So I'm thinking he is probably going to be too long and big to lie him on that so how do you actually manage to change their nappy apart from having to do it while they are standing up. Kind of okay if it's not a dirty nappy but if it is...hmmmm.

Not sure if this will help but may think of using pull-ups while flying. Might make it less fiddly. I'm not even thinking of potty training until after we get back from our holiday as it will be just too confusing for him.

I know you haven't flown yet but any thoughts on the nappy changing issue or if anyone else has flown with a child in nappies but is too big for the changing table, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Maybe I'm just slighty stressing over nothing.

xTx

[/b]
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:15 am 
Post subject:
Hey
I'm very excited and nervous!! Can't wait to see my brother it's been a few years. We are flying with air china I think!
So r u getting organised?, 4 months will soon go. Tbh haven't given nappy changing much thought! There's so much to think about, my little girl is quite small for her age so hopefully there will be room if not hopefully the air hostess will be helpful and come up with another idea!

We are stopping off in Beijing for 3 days on the way back and that's meant to be freezing there in january!! Maybe a good reason to buy a load of cheap northface stuff!'

Is there any other things which you have thought of that might be awkward or difficult on the flight? Does your boy still drink milk? Not sure if mine will by then, just trying to think ahead really. Cause how would having drinking milk work?

Also sorry for all the questions, do u know if they have the sane nappies or equivalent over there as here? Hopefully we would of started to potty train her by then but things aren't gonna be cracked by then!

Are you taking a stroller with you? If so any ideas of a small compact one that reclines? We have a quinny zapp at the mo which us great but doesn't recline, so thinking of getting one from eBay which is gets ruined it doesn't matter!
Xx
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:16 pm 
Post subject:
How great is it going to be seeing your brother again after 3 years. I've got a younger brother (and older sister) and we always have a great laugh when we catch up.

George (my son) has just dropped his morning bottle, so I'm still assuming that when we fly he'll still be wanting his evening bottle. Even if he's not that bothered I am planning on taking a couple of empty bottles and then when we get airside, I'll buy a small carton of milk (well I hope I can, otherwise I'll buy some beforehand). We are flying out about 8pm so he'll have his milk before we fly out. He may some more milk as we take-off, more for the comfort I'm guessing. I'm guessing I'll need to get more milk on the second leg of our journey so I'll just get some from the air stewardess.

I'm going to take his pillow with him (a toddler size one) and his one and only comfy toy and a couple dummies. He doesn't used them anymore (only in last couple of weeks) but they definitely could come in handy.

I use pampers nappies over here and they didn't have them in NZ but I just used the one's that I thought looked the best. Think it was Huggies or something like that.

When we went last year, we had just bought the McLaren Techno pushchair. I was very worried that it might get damaged (as it cost a lot, though regardless of cost no-one wants things damaged). This pushchair reclines right back which with a 8 month old, I thought was essential if he was going to be sleep deprived. We used it at the airport (Gatwick) and then just before we boarded the plane, we handed it over and it went in the hold. We didn't see it again until we got to NZ. We went via Dubai and we were able to use a stroller that they give out to the public with babies/small children. We will take our McLaren again but if I was in your shoes, I'd be looking for something cheaper as your daughter is that much older and doesn't need it to recline right back. The smaller the better as well.

Hopefully George will like the food on the plane but I will take a smallish supply of food/snacks that I know he likes. I don't want him getting hungry and then having to wait for the air stewardess to bring the food. Perfect recipe for a tantrum!!! Make sure you always have water/juice on you as well.

I'm sure we'll chat a few more times over the coming months. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

I'm assuming you're in the UK. Whereabouts are you from??

Tania. x
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:10 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou for all your advice/tips it's lovely talking to someone who's planning a long flight.
Yeah from Suffolk, where r u from? X
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
West Sussex, so considering we could be anywhere in this country (or world), we're not that far from each other Smile
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
Yeah very true! X
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:33 pm 
Post subject:
Good luck! Sounds like you will have an amazing time Smile I was looking into flying with my new born in 5 months time, and found this website called FloridaBaby which was incredibly helpful. It is Florida specific, but the videos are really good regardless ...

http://www.floridababy.co.uk/

Hope it helps!
becki82
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
Hi mumtobe88,
Thankyou for the link, hope you get sorted for you hols x
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:57 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Tania, so you mustn't have long till you fly. I bet your excited. Hope you have a fab time with your family. Let me know how it all goes on the flight etc x
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 am 
Post subject:
My sister has just flown to australia wiv her 5 year old and nearly 3 year old and she said they were really gd and slept for most of the journey.

xTEGx
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Becki,

Thanks for message. Yes we fly end of next week. Suitcases are out of loft and over next week I'll be doing a bit each night trying to pack everything we need but still trying to take as little as possible.

Think I'm sorted on the entertainment side of things for our son. We're taking a laptop, headphones and a few DVDs, got stickers, colouring books, pencils/felt tip pens, pencil case. Got several packs of cards with animals and trucks which George loves. Got him a puzzle and a transformer toy. I'm sure I've got a few other things but I need to dig them out as I've got them over the last few weeks and have now forgotten exactly what I've bought.

We've bought him a trunki gruffalo suitcase so he can put a few of his things in it and he loves it as he can ride on it while you pull the suitcase along.

He no longer has bottles of milk but I do offer him milk at night in his beaker so I'll do that on the plane. Will take a few dummies even though he doesn't really use them much these days.

Just need to take a variety of snacks so that he can have them as and when he wants.

Will post a message once we get out there to let you know how the flight went.

Take care.

Tania. x
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Tania sounds like George will be well occupied on the flight, u can never be too prepared. I was wondering about one of those trunki suitcases, may have a look on eBay and see if I can pick up a second hand one. Has George got the same suitcase allowance to adults?

Hope u get all sorted this week and have an amazing trip, look forward to hearing all about it. X

Laura- thats good, fingers crossed my lo one sleeps!
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:53 pm 
Post subject:
Yes same luggage allowance Smile I've got a large sports bag for George and a large suitcase each for hubby and I. I think the hold allowance is 25kg each but because we have a domestic flight to catch once we arrive in NZ, our max is 20kg each for the suitcases because that is the domestic flight limit. I think cabin luggage is 10kg each (or maybe 7kg - will need to check that).

Trying to keep our arms free as much as possible so using backpacks for hubby and I for our onboard luggage plus I've got an across body bag for all the essentials and valuables.

Things will be easier for you both with your family members coming along - more arms to help out Smile

x
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:48 am 
Post subject:
Hi Tania, so how was your trip? Hope you had an amazing time with your family. Can't wait to hear about it.
Becki x
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Becki,

Been back a week now and still wishing I was back there. We had a great time and George loved being around his kiwi family. He loved all the attention and he loved being with all his cousins.

I was a bit worried about how he'd settle into sleeping over there, I shouldn't have worried, he pretty much slept 11-12 hours every night and about 2 hours every afternoon. He slept in about 6 different beds/locations and we never had a problem getting him to sleep.

Now the flight there and back.......it went better than I had expected but then from my previous experience, my expectations were low.

There is probably a lot I can say and I'm sure I'll forget some of it in this post, so don't worry, anything I forget to mention, I write another post to you.

We flew out from Heathrow at 9pm. George was getting very tired at this stage but within half an hour of taking off, he was asleep.

I never really slept on both the flights as I was always aware of George stirring or waking up. Whenever he moved or slipped off his seat, I just tried to put him back into a comfortable position so that he could continue sleeping longer.

Things that I think helped with the flight:

George's pillow (toddler size) - they do have pillows onboard which we used but his pillow was a big help in keeping him comfortable.

Toddler headphones - personally I think this is a must! We boought the headphones online from Kidz Gear and George wore them a lot while watching TV. He fell in love with 'The Wiggles' (never watched it before) and he would watch this for nearly an hour at a time.

Food - Whenever the food was served, George was asleep, so he didn't really eat a lot of the plane food, though I did keep some of it. I would recommend taking travel size cereal of your son's favourite cereal. On the way back to the UK, I bought in NZ, cereal that came in a plastic bowl (travel size). You just add milk to it. George loved this.

Things that I think didn't help on the flight:

I took too many toys!!!! Which then became a pain to carry. We had a bag each, plus George's Gruffalo Trunki, plus my handbag (which was too big).

In honestly, he didn't play with any of his toys. He used his sticker book on the way to NZ but really, when he wasn't sleeping and watching TV, all he was really interested was in walking up and down the aisle and sitting and moving around on the floor by our feet (really annoying by the way).

We took too much but with your mum and brother coming with you, it shouldn't be as bad for you.

On our flight (I'm sure this is standard), they had a larger toilet so disabled/babies facilities, so that really helped. I just laid George on the floor as there was no way you could change his nappy in the 'normal' size toilets.

All in all, I think our flight went pretty well. It was very long and tiring (pretty much two days before we had an any sleep) and I can say, I didn't enjoy it but we managed quite well.

You guys will be find because your flight is slightly shorter and you have more hands to help out.

On the flight out, I didn't drink (wasn't well) and I didn't even turn my TV on. On the flight back, I had 3 glasses of wine and I managed to watch 3 movies. George did sleep reasonably well on the first leg of both flights but on the second leg, he pretty much stayed awake for most of it (12 hours!!!!). Not easy but we had a fab holiday so it was worth it.

I'm sure there are more things I can say but my mind is blank, so feel free to ask me any question.

Tania. x
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular