Am I mad to be considering a 22hr flight with a 28month old!

becki82
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hey, sounds like you had a fab holiday and I'm so pleased everything went so well with George, thankyou for the great advice, will defo be looking at the head phones, there's just so many think to think about!!

We must be mad as also hoping to move house before Xmas so am trying to get organised with packing up house and sorting out Xmas presents and oz it's just crazy!!

So did you ask for particular seat on the flight for your journey eg bulk head? Also did you find the sears big enough for George to sleep on, I ve already got Katie a pillow so hopefully she ll sleep some of the way!

Thankyou
Becki x
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
Also forgot to ask was the trunki case useful to take, as considering to take just a rucksack! What do u think?
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Becki,

Our seats were already assigned (when we originally booked the flights last year) but as we had seats in front and behind us, I did try to get bulkhead seats both ways. No luck. We were also told that some of the bulkhead seats are by fire exits so we couldn't sit in those ones with a child.

As it turned out, I don't really think it made too much difference. Yes if we had had more leg room with no seats in front, George would have been able to sit down in front of us a bit easier but he did that anyway, just a bit cramped at times.

There was enough room for George on his seat. Unfortunately the arm rest on our plane didn't fully go up (really annoyed at that), so he wasn't able to spread out across us as much as I had hoped.

As for the trunki, I would say that if I was doing this again (now), I wouldn't have taken it that distance. George had a little ride on it at Heathrow but other than that, he wasn't that interested in it. He's was too young to really be able to pull it any distance as well, so we just ended up carrying it over the pushchair or when we were in Hong Kong, over our shoulders (along with our other backpacks).

Getting closer for you all. Very exciting.

Good luck with the house move. Busy 6 weeks but it will all be worth it Smile

xTx
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:59 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou for all your advice, it's been so useful hearing your experiences. Hope you ve all got sorted and back into routine since your return..
How did George find the time difference when you first got over there? Katie has always been a good sleeper but wondering how she's gonna be. Unfortunately we brought Katie a ready bed to take with us but she's adamant she doesn't want to sleep in it and I'm apprehensive to not have anything in place when we get there as she's not slept in a single bed yet, at home she is in a cot bed with a bed rail thing so am considering about buying a larger size travel cot which my brother can get of gumtree or eBay, will have to give it some thought!! I'm sure whatever she ll be fine but I feel abit anxious about it, don't want her to be unsettled.

Sorry all these questions, but did you take his pushchair on to the flight, I mean did you use it at your stop off places?
Thankyou
Becki x
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:38 pm 
Post subject:
I've enjoyed this thread, so happy to help. I know I'd appreciate it as well, if it was the other way round.

Well and truly back into our normal routine. Felt strange for a few days to be back in our small flat (my family homes in NZ are big with lots of space inside and outside).

Surprisingly the time difference didn't affect any of us to a point where we were up at 1am or 3am for example.

We got to my parents house around 2pm (NZ time) on a Sunday (so nearly 2 days since we had slept in our own beds) and I had assumed that George would be so tired that he'd need to go to sleep sooner rather than later (which would mean him waking up at some godly hour) but I think there was enough stimulation (people paying him loads of attention) at my parents house that he stayed up till 6.30pm and then slept for nearly 12 hours. So we got him into a good routine straight away. It was pretty much the same when we got back to the UK. I think he may have had a couple naps during the day when we got back to the UK instead of one nap but everything else was just like it normally was.

I think George was ready to go into a 'normal bed' (cotbed converted into bed) but I made a point back in August to do this. I wanted him to get use to a bed as he would be sleeping in a single bed at my parents, brothers and sisters place, as well as a property we had rented out with other family members.

These beds, while being single, was much bigger and higher off the ground than Georges bed at home. I was concern that he might not like them or he might fall out of bed but we just place pillows down on the floor (towards the end of our holiday we stopped doing this) and he never fell out.

In fact, he slept so well. Pretty much 11-12 hours each night plus 2 hour nap each day. Like your daugher, George sleeps well but I still wasn't expecting it to go so smoothly. But saying that, he slept quite well when we took him over to NZ when he was 8 months old. He slept the whole time then in a travel cot.

Maybe have a travel cot to hand over in OZ but I'm sure she'll be fine in a single bed. Maybe you could try to convert her cotbed to a bed now and then see if she takes to it, she probably will.

We took our pushchair but we didn't have it to hand in Hong Kong. It would have been handy to have one. When we flew Emirates (via Dubai) when George was 8 months, the airport at Dubai had pushchairs that you could use. Lifesaver, as we did a lot of walking and George being so young wasn't walking at that time.

It wasn't so bad at Hong Kong as George wanted to walk some of the time although it still would have been nice to have one. Our stopover was only for 2 hours, so it wasn't too bad without one.

Once we got to NZ, we hopped off the plane and our pushchair was right out the plane door waiting for us. This was great. All airlines are different, so ask when you are checking in re. do the airport at your stopover supply them or can you get your one from the hold etc.

Getting nearer for you all. I am jealous Smile Smile

xTx
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
NZ sounds wonderful hun xx
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
xTEGx
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:38 pm 
Post subject:
Angelcake71 wrote:
NZ sounds wonderful hun xx

It was great. I am bias but I love my holidays back home and especially more now with our son. Just wish it wasn't so dam far away. Oh well, already thinking about our next holiday back there Smile

xTx
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:48 pm 
Post subject:
So when's your next trip planned for? X
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 pm 
Post subject:
Oh not for a while this time. We usually go back to NZ most years but it's obviously more expensive now with the LO. Still exciting to be thinking when the next holiday back there is. I've guessing that we'll go back either xmas 2013 or xmas 2014.

My parents are over here May 2013 and then possibly, along with my sister and her family coming back over here September 2015, so whenever we go back it needs to be planned sometime inbetween those dates.

As much as I love our holidays back in NZ, I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to holidays in the UK and around Europe over the next two years. We never have really done that (except years ago when we were starting going out), so it will be fun taking George to places a bit closer. Already planned a week holiday in May next year. Going to Longleat CenterParc with some friends, so can't wait for that.

xTx
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:17 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Tania,
Sounds like you have some lovely things to look forward to, longleat will be fab I've always wanted to go but never got round to arranging it.
I can't believe we fly 2 weeks tomos the time has flown by!
Hope you are getting organised for Xmas x
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Becki,

Wow, this time next week you'll be there or thereabouts. Have a fab time in Oz and I'm sure the flight will go well.

Will look forward to hear all about your holiday.

Take care and enjoy the Aussie weather.

xTx
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:41 am 
Post subject:
Thankyou still a few bits to get sorted but think we re vertually packed. Katies hand luggage is full of lots of bits to entertain her, also my brother has a portable DVD player so going to be busy recording mr tumbles today for the journey!!
hope your having a lovely Xmas and will post a reply when we re back from our adventures
X
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:19 am 
Post subject:
Hi Teg & Becki. I have read through this thread with interest, as we are doing the reverse of you guys have done, taking our first holiday back to UK from NZ in March. DD will be 2yrs 9mo then. I have been dreading the flight! We arrived in NZ when she was just 5 wks old & that flight was a breeze. Becki I will be interested to see how you found the flights when you get back. Hope you're having a fantastic time!

becki82
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:40 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Tania and fuzzyferret!
Tania- we re back after a fantastic time away, we had an amazing time and Katie was so good with all the flights etc. At least I know now when we fly to oz again I won't be so worried.
Fuzzyferret- When we booked the flights I was really anxious to how my lo would be but I was so amazed how good she was, she was so excited when at the airport and spent majority of the flight either sleeping/watching her DVD player or eating!! We took loads of little toys for her to play with that kept her entertained for some while, Also took some of her fav treats. Unfortunately the food on the flight was poor (they didn't supply a kids meal even though we had requested one) so make sure you check a few days before flight, saying that my lo eats anything so luckily all was ok.
The flight wasn't 100% full so my oh moved to an empty seat so that Katie could sleep across two seats which was good, she slept about 12hrs out of the 24hrs so not bad.
Will defo do it again, now need to save up!!
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Becki,

Welcome back.

Great you have a fab holiday and great the flights went well. Not that ours were bad but I'd been hoping that our flight wasn't full as well. Having a spare extra seat for our son would have helped like it did for your daughter.

Yes, get saving as holidays like the one you've had are just amazing and catching up with your brother again must have been great. We will definitely be going back to NZ for xmas either 2013 or 2014.

Think we'll be doing a two week holiday in Europe sometime later this year, so the good thing about travelling long distances like we've done, is a 3 or 4 hour flight will never phase me at all.

Well take care and I'm sure we'll 'bump' into each other again on this forum Smile

Tania. x
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular