Short Napper - HELP!

MamaGleixner
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:52 pm 
Post subject: Short Napper - HELP!
I have a 14 month old son that has always been a crappy napper. He consistently has 30 min naps, but sometimes throws in a nice long 1-2 hour nap.

When he was very young I would sit by his crib and sush him back to sleep, sometimes he would fall back asleep - sometimes not. I followed the baby-whisperer for a long time and didn't let him cry but I gave up on that!! I often have his afternoon nap in the car just so I can get an hour out of him, but I'm tired of having to do that (forunately once asleep I don't have to keep driving around)

My concern is that when we switch to 1 nap a day he will only be getting 30 min total for the day!! I have tried to let him cry it out a bit when he wakes as I had success with this for his night time sleep, but he simply will not go back to sleep after 30 min. Because he wakes crying, it gives me the impression it is not enough sleep for him. When he does take a really long nap he wakes up happy and talking to himself. Any advice on how to get him to nap longer?? Thank you - I'm going CRAZY
lauree
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
babe if youve got him through the night and only sleeps a bit in the day leave him thats al he needs. and we can all be crabby when first waking up
MamaGleixner
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:55 am 
Post subject:
with all due respect, that is not helpful. We know that babies need more than 30 min sleep per day. Plus, he doesn't sleep through the night. He goes to bed at 7:00pm and his awake at 5:00am (I usually give him a bottle after listening to him 'talk' for 15 min and then he 'talks' for another 30 min and he sometimes goes back to sleep - sometimes not. Clearly he isn't getting enough sleep for his age.
Stitch
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:17 pm 
Post subject:
Some babies are just more awake than others. My mother had to put up with me as a child who woke up at 5.00am and stopped taking a nap at the age of 20mths. It didn't harm me. My nephew's the same, he doesn't sleep much and never has but he's developing fine. Its just something that depends on the child.

If you want to get more sleep yourself however we used to put toys near where my nephew could see them or, depending on what they were, play with them. That guaranteed us another half an hour or so before he needed changing and all that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular