Could these be symptoms of Epilepsy?

DaVinci
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:08 pm 
Post subject: Could these be symptoms of Epilepsy?
Hi there,

My wife has become concerned recently that our LO may be showing signs of Epilepsy. He is a week short of 5 months old.
Recently he has begun tapping with his left hand and his entire arm - like you would tap on a seat next to you to motion someone to sit down. He doesn't do this all the time but quite frequently and at different times - ie sat in his car seat, sat on my knee, in the bath etc
Another symptom is sometimes when he is feeding (either BF by his mum or a bottle from me), he sort of shakes his head in small motions side to side, and a little up and down. Only lasts for a few seconds but it is a bit scary seeing him do it as it does look like the beginnings of a minor fit - however it always seems to pass in 5-10 seconds.

Has anyone seen these sort of behaviours/symptoms before? Is it something to worry about? We're taking him to the docotrs next about it anyway but just wondered if anyone had experienced this with their LOs before?
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:06 pm 
Post subject:
hiya

I would definitely check with GP, BUT - between about 3 and 6 or 7 months it's really common for babies to develop funny little phhsical repetetive 'twitches'. Both mine had a stage of a few different things. Some stick, some don't. My brother developed one as a baby - 'whizzing' where he would whizz his head side to side at sleep times - he still does it and he's 40 lol. My neice did the exact hand tapping you describe for about 5 months at that age. Without seeing it, though I wouldn't like to guess if it was within normal ranges or not, so definitely go get checked, if nothing else for your own peace of mind.

Hope all is ok

Anna
xxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular