Baby not reacting to voices or visual cues

SophiaHanna
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:26 am 
Post subject: Baby not reacting to voices or visual cues
My wife had a forced C-section at 32 weeks due to complications from preeclampsia. Our baby girl weighed 2 lbs and 2 oz. and measured 14.5 inches in height. She was termed an IUGR baby. Her growth was restricted probably because her mom's placenta was already at grade 3 when she was born.

Anyway, the baby is now 2 weeks old and seems to be doing well. She's breathing on her own, and she is being tube fed 32cc of breast milk for 2 hours. She seems to be handling the feeding well. However, she's still being given caffeine to help her immature system with its development.

I've been reading some articles about newborn behavior. The articles seem to indicate that newborns should at least have some form of reaction to visual or auditory cues. I've been calling my baby's name and she doesn't seem to react to my voice. I've snapped my fingers a few times, and no reaction, as well. I've also tried holding a smartphone with the screen flashing different colors, and she doesn't bother to look at it. I made sure to hold the phone at an angle and about 8 inches away to at least force her eyes to look towards the visual stimulant, but it does not get her attention.

I am a little bit worried at this point, so I'm curious. When did your newborn start to react to any sensory cues?
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:19 am 
Post subject:
Georgia was bout 4 weeks old i think but she didnt need the help ur baby needs so cud take longer.

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi. Do they not mean that babies should react like that when perhaps they are full term? If your LO is only 32w, I can imagine that she might not react. Perhaps that is it? xxx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
hun, your LO is premature so be prepared for a lot of things to come to her later than a normal baby. She may not respond for another month or so even as her due date isnt for another 6 weeks.

DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:09 pm 
Post subject:
when she does react to visual cues, it won't be somthing that you would think of lol, it never is!! usually the first thing is mummy's face, but it can be random stuff. remember preemies come later to everything for a LONG time. Don't stress it Smile
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:06 pm 
Post subject:
ah bless, first of all congratulations to you both, and well done to littlie for being so strong. If I was you I would concentrate on the possitives such as feeding well and breathing well, its a pure miracle in itself that little ones can be so strong, things will come in time, and like others have said it does take premmies longer, so i would just embrace how much of a little fighter you both have and take every day as it comes, congratulations and i hope littlie shows you some response soon xxxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular