Yellow Gunk coming out of eyes

fletchie
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:16 pm 
Post subject: Yellow Gunk coming out of eyes
Hi,

My lil one has a cold at the mo but today she has been quite unsettled and clingier than usual and today nooticed her eyes were quite puffy and yellow gunk is coming oout when she cries or sneezes. She has been at a childminders last 5 days and her lil one has got conjunctititis in one eye but has also developed a high fever with sickness. Should i be at all worried?
jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
sounds like pink eye. you just have to keep bathing it with water. if your child has a fever give them calpol. if it lasts longer than 4 days go see your doctor. ( this is what my doctor told me when my LO had the same thing)

fletchie
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 pm 
Post subject:
thanks.

On an update on the bit about childminder, her child was too sick for her to let any of her childmind kids to be dropped off. Childminder phoned me earlier saying her lil boy was still too ill, so asked me to not to take my daughter to her tmorr, which is understandable.

So i text my boss to say i couldnt make it in tmorr as had no-one else to look after my lil one. She went ballistic, saying that the childminder wasnt capable as she is letting all her clients down!!!!
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:29 pm 
Post subject:
Thats absolute rubbish. your childminder is only human like everyone else and gets sick, or her child gets sick so cant work.

and what about all the schools that are striking tomorrow? they are letting parents down, so are they not capable?

if your work are going to be really funny about it, then if it happens again just tell them its your child thats ill. either way you have a right to have time of to care for your child, whether they are sick, or if childcare arrangements fall through. if they try and discipline you for it, or try to get rid of you just mention unfair dismissal on grounds of sexual discrimination.

fletchie
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:46 am 
Post subject:
Hi,

Daughters eyes have got worse, they are very gunky and crusty. One eye was nearly half stuck shut with the gunk. Got an app with Doc today at 2pm
So will see what they say
sally1977
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:05 am 
Post subject:
When my lo gets conjunctivitis I take her straight to docs. We get drops and its gone after a couple of days. Its not the nicest of things but clears up well. Hope they better soon. xx

fletchie
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:22 am 
Post subject:
When i woke her up after her morning nap, one eye was completly stuck shut, had to pull it open gently. She ovbiously got a bit freaked out.

Just checked her temp - 34.2. Is that quite low?

She is also blocked up with a cold
Miriam84
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:17 am 
Post subject:
That is quite low, but sometimes instead of a fever you can get low temp. I've had that a few times)

My Lo had yellow gunk coming out of her eye a while back, so much so that her eyes were glued shut, she got some anti biotic drops from the GP and was back to normal in no time.
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:23 am 
Post subject:
Once your child is over 2 years you can get antibiotic drops from your pharmacist. I am an ophthalmic nurse (in another life before I spent all my days hoping that my baby will sleep through) and I would advise the drops, bathing eye regularly with cool boiled water, to rremove the amount of bugs around the eye. If you gently massage under the eye towards the tear duct (in the inner corner of the eye) then that helps to move the gunk from the duct. If the eyes are crusted and stuck together in the morning then adding one drop of baby shampoo to an egg cup full of cool boiled water helps to lift the secretions.
fletchie
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:57 am 
Post subject:
Hi,

She is only 9 months old but was born with sticky eye which turned into a blocked tear duct, at 1st all they told us to do was bath eye with warm water to move the gunk, it took docs until she was 3 weeks old to get antibotic drops. One eye seems more imflammed than the other.
ggmarch
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:01 pm 
Post subject:
Its not uncommon at all and mostly they do grow out of it. If she has lots of episodes or you feel antibiotics are not working any more, then try to get a referral to your local eye department.
fletchie
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:18 pm 
Post subject:
Just been to docs. Lil one has conjuctivitis in BOTH eyes, poor thing. Got drops to give 4 times a day.
Ive also been given drops, turns out the ear that has been niggling at me for past few weeks is infected!!!

Wot else is going to happen?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Children's Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular