Having twins, but already have 21 month old!!!!

SparkJack
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:55 pm 
Post subject:
i intend on getting them into a good routine. I have got jack in a routine, and did from quite an early age. my aunt had twins and she is my inspiration, she juggled everything marvelously and they were both so settled and still are at age 7 now. x

Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
As you know hun, we are having twins also Smile I assumed they are non identical because they have separate sacs Embarassed . Is there still a chance they could be sharing the placenta and in fact be identical Question I obviously dont mind either way as we are so ecstatic that our IVF worked, but when and how did you ladies find out?

We've had a 7 week scan when we were just told it was 2 and an 8 week scan where we were asked if we knew were they identical or non identical. I told the sonographer non identical because of the assumption I had made with there being 2 sacs so now im very confused Shocked Laughing

We have another scan at 12 weeks so will definitely be asking then!
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 pm 
Post subject:
Ok, if the babies are in seperate sacs the chances are they are non-identical (plus you conceived with IVF which makes this more likely). However, i was told that it is possible for one fertilised egg to split very early on in conception to create identical twins in their own sac but this is more common in younger women. You wont find out until the babies are born but i would bet they are non-identical Smile

Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:01 pm 
Post subject:
jennaxhx wrote:
Ok, if the babies are in seperate sacs the chances are they are non-identical (plus you conceived with IVF which makes this more likely). However, i was told that it is possible for one fertilised egg to split very early on in conception to create identical twins in their own sac but this is more common in younger women. You wont find out until the babies are born but i would bet they are non-identical Smile

Ooh thanks for that info Jenna. That is fascinating to think I may not know until the day i give birth Shocked (although you are probabaly right about it being most likely they are non identical with it being IVF and 2 embies being transferred) Smile
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:31 pm 
Post subject:
You're welcome Smile x

xxVictoriaxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 am 
Post subject:
komolafe wrote:
As you know hun, we are having twins also Smile I assumed they are non identical because they have separate sacs Embarassed . Is there still a chance they could be sharing the placenta and in fact be identical Question I obviously dont mind either way as we are so ecstatic that our IVF worked, but when and how did you ladies find out?

We've had a 7 week scan when we were just told it was 2 and an 8 week scan where we were asked if we knew were they identical or non identical. I told the sonographer non identical because of the assumption I had made with there being 2 sacs so now im very confused Shocked Laughing

We have another scan at 12 weeks so will definitely be asking then!

Hey hun, I was just reading in an IVF mag (Ova) about a couple who had 2 embies put back.....they went on to have FOUR baby girls!! 1 in 10 million chance of that happening, but aparently there are more instances of identical twins in IVF treatment than there are by conceiving naturally (still only a small chance). Did you go to blast? Because that has an even higher instance of identical twins and because they are 5/6 day transfers so would split later in the fertilisation process, they would have their own sacs.
I was doing loads of reading about it yesterday as I'm trying to decide whether to have 1 or 2 embies put back. HTH xx

SparkJack
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:59 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Hun my twins are definately identical as they share a placenta.... But they are in separate sacs!! It's very complicated. If your babies have separate placentas and separate sacs they may be unidentical. What does it say on your scan report? Mine says monchorionic diamniotic twins x

SparkJack
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:19 pm 
Post subject:
Just like to add you can have identical twins that have separate placentas and sacs. The sonographer looks for something called the lambda sign and that's present in non identical twin pregnancies x

Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:13 pm 
Post subject:
I havent seen any scan report and no one has really discussed it that much with us yet. Presume maybe thats cos im only just coming up to 10 weeks Question We have our next scan in 2 weeks so will definitely be asking more questions Laughing

Vic - I know there are definintely only 2 heartbeats so i dont have to panic over them dividing again! thankfully!! We had a 2 day transfer. I dont think our clinic likes to leave them to go to blast for some reason (but thats just the preference of them, I believe)With all the reading you're doing you will be teaching us something new every day ! Laughing
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:27 pm 
Post subject:
Ahhh well im sure they will be able to tell u more at the next scan. Oooo it's exciting!!! Probably more likely to be non identical. Let us know straight after your scan!!! Xxx

xxVictoriaxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 am 
Post subject:
komolafe wrote:

Vic - I know there are definintely only 2 heartbeats so i dont have to panic over them dividing again! thankfully!!

Sorry hun, didn't mean that you might have four in there Laughing You'd def know at your 6 wk scan if there was more than 2! Just that when 2 embies are put back, it's automatially assumed the twins are from both those embies, but it could well be a possibility that only 1 implanted but that one split to form identical twins.

I think it's more likely that both embies took, but it's def worth asking some more Qs at your next scan.

That couple had a real shock when they were expecting 2 at the most but ended up with 2 sets of identical twins!! Shocked
Can't believe you're almost 10 weeks already!! Good luck at your next scan hun xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:52 am 
Post subject:
A friend of mine had IVF and two embryos put back and ended up with only one egg implanting but had identical twin girls Very Happy
I watched a fascinating programme a while back about multiples and discovered you can have identical triplets Shocked not sure about quads etc. also identical twins can be one boy and one girl if the sperm has a certain abnormality that make it carry both male and female chromosomes Shocked and it said on there that twins sharing a placenta must be identical (for obvious reasons) but twins with their own placentas may be identical or may be fraternal and they can't tell for sure until they're born . So even if a scan shows boy/girl twins you still can't rule out them being identical until birth, then there are twins that are called mirror image twins , one will be left handed and one right handed and they look identical but as if one was looking in a mirror and the other was the image so everythings reversed ,I found this particularly fascinating as they said this could account for left handed people as they haven't discovered a gene for being left handed and it doesn't seem to be passed down to offspring so they thought every left hander may be the sole survivor of a mirror image twin pregnancy Sad made me a bit sad really as i'm a left hander and so is one of my DD's, and I did have early bleeding with her but didn't get a scan until 12 weeks ,and my mum had a lot of bleeding early in her pregnancy with me Question
The octuplet woman in america had six eggs put back and all implanted and she ended up with two sets of identical twins as well Shocked I think stuff like thats the reason why two is the max here, although 3 still seems pretty common in america . Very fascinating subject though maybe because it's relatively rare for us humans Laughing
Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:30 am 
Post subject:
haha this thread is making me feel Shocked one minute then Laughing !!

At this rate, I have concluded we are having 'identical' twins - one girl one boy, one tall one short, one black and one white Laughing (the latter could be true according to the sonographer since I am white and my DH isnt Shocked )

Where else could I get knowledge/insight like this Very Happy
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:11 pm 
Post subject:
Laughing Laughing Can't wait to see when they are born Laughing Laughing
I really find genetics fascinating! My OH is dark, so you would think he'd have strong/dominant genes but our ds is so much like me in every way. xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 pm 
Post subject:
Komolafe there is a british couple who have had two sets of twin girls, one black and one white in each set , because the mum is white and the dad black , not sure if the twins were identical though or if it's just coincidence they were girls , and I saw one couple on breakfast tv years ago with twin boys where it happened too, they looked exactly the same except for their skin colour and one was dark haired and one blonde but both the parents were black , genetics really can do strange things Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Twins, Triplets and Multiples All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular