breast feeding twins

PENNY76
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:45 am 
Post subject: breast feeding twins
hi found out at my first scan at 6 weeks and 3 days as i had ivf so they scan you at 6 weeks and then at 8 weeks.
i just wondering if anyone that has had twins manage to breast feed even if it was only for few weeks i'd like to try but im guess just looking after too little ones at the same time is hard.
thanks for reading Very Happy
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:26 am 
Post subject:
my auntie had twin boys and managed to BF them for about 6-7 weeks.
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm 
Post subject:
I didnt breastfeed, but tbh probably wouldnt have even if it was one baby but when i found out it was twins I thought 'no chance!' lol However, my aunts sister-in-law also has twins and she breastfed them so its really up to you Smile

ejelt180311
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:42 am 
Post subject:
ive has twins and breast fed them for 2 months it was easy to feed them but i just couldn't keep up with them cos of the amount they eat but it's well worth giving it ago if you feel happy trying Smile
thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:40 am 
Post subject:
It's possible - there was a woman with quads on the tv the other day who breast fed them! Also watched that extreme breastfeeding programme a while ago and there were twins at 18 months still being breastfed.
I find breastfeeding so much easier than bottles, and cheaper! But I'm a bit lazy lol! You don't have to prepare anything or wait for warming up, you can just feed them as and when. People say it's harder at night times but it's not, if they sleep in the same room then you can still stay in bed and feed them lying down in bed, there's no having to go in the kitchen preparing formula, just feed them and put them back to bed, easy peasy!
Good luck xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:06 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with Hotcross on this one, BF is so much easier and I loved not having all the messing about to do, especially now they say to prepare every bottle fresh , plus with twins I would have thought it would be impossible to bottle feed both together unless you had them sat in chairs facing you Question which might be fine when they're older but it's so nice to have those feeding cuddles when they're little and BF still seems like it would be easier to do with twins than try and juggle two bottles and two babies , I never found night feeds harder, easier if anything because your milk has a substance which actually makes your baby sleepy at night so mine would always nod off during a feed , and didn't need winding either so straight back to bed Smile Never had twins just one at a time but made enough milk to feed triplets last time and milk is supply and demand and stating the obvious us women have two boobs Laughing so it should definately be possible with support , Good luck xxx
PENNY76
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
thanks ladies im defiantly going give it ago and i don't fancy messing about with bottles and kettles in the middle of the night .
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
nat70 wrote:
I agree with Hotcross on this one, BF is so much easier and I loved not having all the messing about to do, especially now they say to prepare every bottle fresh , plus with twins I would have thought it would be impossible to bottle feed both together unless you had them sat in chairs facing you Question which might be fine when they're older but it's so nice to have those feeding cuddles when they're little and BF still seems like it would be easier to do with twins than try and juggle two bottles and two babies , I never found night feeds harder, easier if anything because your milk has a substance which actually makes your baby sleepy at night so mine would always nod off during a feed , and didn't need winding either so straight back to bed Smile Never had twins just one at a time but made enough milk to feed triplets last time and milk is supply and demand and stating the obvious us women have two boobs Laughing so it should definately be possible with support , Good luck xxx

I bottle fed and 1) i didnt listen to the make bottles fresh rule. 10 years ago when my sister was born it was still fine to make bottles and store them in the fridge a few hours in advance and it didnt do her (or me and my other sister) any harm at all. Also, my twin book (written by a doctor) has even rubbished this new rule whcih convinced me even more that what i was doing wasn't wrong.
2) i very rarely had to feed my two at the same time. As with most things in the life of the mum of a twin, you need routine and i timed their feeds so that they were fed one after the other and even now, this still happens when i'm alone. If worst came to it though, i would sit them in their bouncy chairs and feed them like that.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:35 am 
Post subject:
That was my point Jenna , wasn't saying you had to feed them together, but if they did both want feeding at the same time then it would be harder if bottle feeding than BF because you have an arm for each baby and a boob for each Smile ,it's good your twins got into such a good routine for you though and to be honest I've never made bottles up fresh with mine when I did bottle feed and it never did them any harm either xx
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Huni, Would give it a go so much easier than bottles I think. Word of warning though it is very tiring at first but once you get the hang of it great to do. I love still breastfeeding my son. I do know quite a few mums of twins who have done it for 6wks or so. I don't want to bang on too much as I don't disagree with bottle feeding at all.
In the early days when your milk is still trying to settle to the amounts needed I had loads of extra milk which I leaked whilst feeding so we collected it in sterilized breast shells and popped it into the fridge for bottles later on if we needed them. I do think an occasional bottle is good for the babies too as it will allow someone else to help out. Our lil man will not take a bottle now and means it's really hard for someone else to have him for more than a few hours.

I hope you find what works for you and don't ever think 'I should have done...' you do what works for your family xxx
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:11 pm 
Post subject:
A friend has twin girls the same age as my son, so 20 months, and she still BFs both of them now! So, definitely possible.

Not saying it'll be easy, but if you want to have a go, then there's nothing stopping you.

ANd congratulations!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular