Vasectomy Reversal Part 2

scooby0606
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:47 pm 
Post subject: VR
jojolouise07 wrote:
Hi all, hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and new year and is well.

I was wondering if anyone one could help me, I live in Wiltshire and looking for somewhere that does VR as near as possible, does anyone have any ideas where is best?

Jojolouise. Just do your research. I know someone who had a VR sucessfully performed at the Ridgeway in Swindon. I went all the way to hartlepool (I am from swindon) and totally regret the whole experience. I had loads of post op swelling and bruising and now 4 months on have been told I require an operation to remove a dead testicle... not a good result
Alowicious
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:43 am 
Post subject:
Oh wow, I expected this to be a busy thread but no one seems to have been on it for a while?

I wanted to share a happy story with you all. I started on this board in 2009 when my DH had a reversal in Cheshire Nuffield with Dr Chris. He only had one said reconnected and 6 months after the reversal we were told with 10 million swimmers with only 20% motility we were unlikely to conceive but we beat the odds and a year after the reversal I was pg with my son. August 2011 we started TTC baby number 2. A year later we went for tests and were told that DH had no sperm. His count was sometimes zero and sometimes 300 dead sperm. We were referred for IVF. We had our first ICSI attempt in October 2012 and it didn't work, DH produced 3,000 non motile sperm which were washed but very poor quality and only 2 of my 12 eggs showed any signs of fertilisation. They were put back but we rightly didn't hold out any hope for them. I knew something wasn't right with my DH and begged our IVF Dr to do hormone tests on him, she refused saying his VR had most likely scarred over and we would have to do a biopsy to obtain sperm but she didn't hold out much hope for finding any good quality sperm.

At this point I was close to giving up but something in my gut pushed me on. Every cycle we still tried naturally as it only takes one sperm.

In May this year I decided that I wanted to give IVF one last go but with a leading IVF Dr. When this Dr heard that my DH sometimes had sperm in his ejaculate he was convinced that this was a hormone problem and tested him. The tests showed low levels of testosterone and so my DH was prescribed 4 injections of ovitrelle (which is HCG) and also 1000mg of DHEA. He had his injection once a week. My af was due 22nd June and we were due to start IVF on 23rd June, however af never arrived!!! I was pg again Smile I didn't tell my DH on the morning of the 23rd so he still went into the clinic and had his sperm test and they found 42 million sperm with 30% motility. When he got home I told him the fab news and we are both so happy.

It just shows Drs are not always right and when you feel something strongly enough in your gut follow it, try a different Dr or a diff clinic, research on the internet etc.

Good luck everyone x
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:38 am 
Post subject:
Hi Alowicious!

Thank you for your story!!! Many many congratulations!

I always hoped that this would be a busy thread (it seemed to be a while ago) as it would be great to have someone to talk to that has been through similar!

My partner had his reversal in December 2012 after 10 years. He has a 16 year old son with his ex wife, and is 41. I am 32 with no children of my own.

We have just had is first analysis back and there are only 600,000 sperm of which 20% are non progressive motility and the others are non motile. I have been completely disheartened by this news but my partner is of the opinion that it only takes one and he has 600,000 so there is still a chance! We are now on a massive cocktail of vitamins and trying to be as healthy as possible in the hope that things may happen naturally. He is going to have a further analysis in 3 months and if that has the same results then we will look at getting referred for IVF.

Fingers crossed really!!x
kv08
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 am 
Post subject:
Hi Emilymay1981

My husband has his reversal in April 2011, he has had several SA's since and the numbers have basically been the same each time. He has approx 8 million of which 10% are motile, we were devasted by these results but as you say it only takes one so have been trying to think positive.
However we have been trying since the reversal which is over 2 years ago now and each month that we arent successful I am more and more disheartened, we both take vitamins and eat healthly and do everything they advise but still nothing.
We have had all the tests done possible on both of us in preparation for IVF and we have a consultant appointment next week to see what the next step is.

Fingers crossed for you hun as its a long journey and wish you all the best.

x
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 pm 
Post subject:
Hi KV08,

I have just been going through the whole of this post and reading the positive and negative stories! Some really happy endings - i hope we get ours!
I hope that you appointment goes well next week - are you having ICSI? We are looking into this at the moment - it is our plan B for if the 2nd lot of SA results are the same in November!
Emily
kv08
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 am 
Post subject:
Hi EmilyMay1981

Yeah there are a few really positive stories, i guess what will be will be its just getting the timing right and being positive. We have decided to stop trying and get on with life for a while and see what happens. It will be a few weeks before we get started on IVF anyway so it will be nice to chill before it starts.
Yeah I think it will be ICSI that we need but we will find out on monday hopefully. Its just so expensive we will get one shot at it really as cant afford anymore than that.
Its taken us a year to get to the point of starting IVF as we have had to have all the tests to make sure there was nothing wrong with me and I had an op as they found I had endo.

All the best

Karen
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies, hope everyone is well. Not been on for a while. Well it's been 11 months since my OH has the vr and it hasn't happened for us yet. We had the SA back and it came back as 26 million/ml, really good motility but there was 80% antibody anti sperm so not the best of results after reading up on it. We can't afford IVF so not sure what our next step is. Baby dust to all. xxxxx
BillJ
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hey everyone, a newbie has posted a new thread on this topic, might be worth a look, a welcome and a natter to have your own personalised thread for our newer members? (Failing that, i've also prodded them towards here!) *Ducks below parapet Very Happy
portfield
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:06 pm 
Post subject:
Has anyone has a VR by John Lemberger in Nottingham? I have been googling clinics and prices and he seems to have good results and his price is not too bad either. I live in South Wales are the prices by me are 4000+, and his clinic seem to be alot less with just as good results quoted. The price also includes an overnight stay for my hubby too, which i am glad because this will be the first general anesthetic he will have had so has no idea how he will react to it.
kv08
Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 am 
Post subject:
Hi Everyone

Just to let you all know we have started IVF with the possibly of ICSI depending on OH's sample on the day of EC.
I had my down deg yesterday and first scan to start the next stage on 29th Oct.

SFJ - Would you not consider egg sharing? We went down that route but were refused in the end so now we have decided to have one go at a full cycle of IVF.
EmilyMay - How is everything with you?
Portfield - My OH had his reversal at Nottingham but not with John Lemberger we went with Duncan Harris. We paid 2500 i think 2 and half years ago. He was really good and the reversal was successful in his eyes but we havent got pregnant.
I wish you all the best with the VR.

It is a hard journey and have to stay positive.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 am 
Post subject:
To the ladies with Husband's with low sperm counts please also get your Dr to check your hubby's hormone levels in the morning as this was our problem. Everyone though the VR had failed or scarred over but it wasn't that, it was the fact my DH's hormone levels (especially testosterone) were so low that he wasn't making sperm. Two injections of hormones later and he started producing high levels of sperm again - from 0 to 40 million in 2 weeks.
Good luck everyone x
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:43 am 
Post subject:
Hiya Alowicious

We had my OH's hormone levels checked and they were fine.
We have had enough of waiting now so have paid privately and are in the middle of a cycle.
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:36 pm 
Post subject:
Hello ladies

Hope everyone is ok?

KV08 how is the cycle going? How are you feeling?

Alowicious, thank you for the tip - I will get them to check that!

OH is off to have his second SA on 19th November and then we will know where we stand. First analysis was so low with awful motility so I am not really holding out much hope but we have been pumping ourselves full of vitamins so you never know.
If not then we will be looking to get referred for ICSI.

To be honest, even though I have had a few people that don't know the situation asking when we are starting a family recently, I am managing to keep my chin up and not let it dominate our life! What will be, will be!!

Best of luck to all of you. Keep me posted with how its going?x
Hannah1987
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya everyone,

I posted on here a while back, actually it's been two years which is mental! I think I'm on page 23 Confused

Any way, there was a couple of people who'd asked at the time for me to let them know where I end up. My hubby and I are awaiting confirmation of our VR appointment, fingers crossed we'll be going in in January.

I've not read many of the recent posts and not even sure if the people I was speaking to are even on here still but I was excited to share that we've managed to get as far as this point. Also like to see how everyone else is getting on as it's encouraging to know you're not alone.

Hannah x
Tillyboo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 am 
Post subject: Vr with Dr Lemberger
Hi Portfield, Sorry if this post comes up wrong, Im still getting used to this site and not been having much success finding recent stories about VR. Stumbled across your post and wanted to tell you that my OH had VR with Dr Lemberger and he was excellent. Everything from making the initial appointment to my OH having the procedure was faultless. Dr Lemberger was very approachable and explained anything we wanted to know, we travelled to Nottingham from the Lake District but felt it was well worth it. Cost was 2100 which I thought was very reasonable compared to other surgeons fees.
OH had hardly any discomfort afterwards and we have been TTC since.

OH had op at the end of Sept.

Good luck x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 48 of 50

Jump to:  

Community

Popular