Short Cervix 20 weeks pregnant

Glidz
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:16 am 
Post subject: Short Cervix 20 weeks pregnant
Hi there, I had my 20 week scan this week and the baby is lovely and healthy, however my cervix is not!!

They have measured my cervix at 27mm, no funneling or dilation, but am due back next week for another scan to check.

I am beside myself this is my second pregnancy and have a lovely healthy child already who was very late! But I had laser treatment for precancerous cells between which apparently is the cause of my short cervix.

Has anyone experienced this, should I be preparing myself for losing my baby?? Sad

HELP!

Thanks xxx
Nixxie
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:55 am 
Post subject:
Hello!

Firstly don't panic, I know its easier said than done as I was in your exact position only 3 weeks ago xx

The main thing is that they have pick up on it & 27mm is not as short as some get (having spent HOURS trawling the net in a blind panic myself!!)I found some people were measuring less that 1cm!!

The most important thing is that baby is ok & that it is being monitored. Whilst I had to do my 'wait and see' period (which feels like a decade!) I was told to rest as much as possible so that I didn't put any unnecessary weight on the cervix. Just being sensible like no heavy lifting, keeping my feet up....you know the sensible stuff.

Anyway after my waiting period it was decided that my cervix was unstable (I also have a history of cone biopsy etc...after pre cancerous cells) and so 3 weeks ago, at 18 weeks, I had a stitch put in my cervix to strengthen it. I have been on bed rest ever since. I had a scan on thursday and it showed that my cervix had not reduced any more so as at today the stitch is doing its job!!

I found on the net, many people who had cervix problems that once identified went on to have successful pregnancies & it is that that is keeping me going each day. I know that it is good that it was picked up by the Docs & that a decision was made as to the course of action most appropriate to me. I also saw many people online that did not have the stitch, just took it very easy & again went on to have a successful pregnancy.

I won't lie, being on bed rest is at times driving me insane & the news about my cervix issues came out of nowhere & we were both just in shock as after some terrible sickness etc...I was hoping for a bit of normality!! Now 3 weeks since the op, I am much calmer about the whole thing. I am happy that my cervix is being monitored & I know that I am doing the best I can for our baby girl. But yes, I will indeed be glad to get a bit further along so I can be a little more at peace that if she does decide to put in an early appearance she has the best chance. Until then its feet up & fingers crossed!! xxx

I also saw many people who's cervix problem was not picked up until after they had lost a baby. Please try & be positive that they are watching you & monitoring you & that is the best position you can be in!! I am here whenever you need support, if it helps xx Thank goodness for laptops, even bedrest can't keep me away!!

Lots of love & positive vibes, remain strong for your baby (thats what I keep telling myself!!) Your baby needs positive chemicals floating around her, not stressed & negative ones xxx

Glidz
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:29 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you so, so much for your reply. I am so happy things are looking positive for you and your baby girl.

I am trying my best to rest and pop my feet up, however with another little one its very difficult! I feel for him also as he just wants Mummy to play!!

I just love the way my consultant told me the news, explained about miscarriage etc and then said, its ok we'll see you in a week... I was screaming inside wondering what on earth I should do within that week!! LIke you said it seems a lifetime! I have everything crossed that my cervix will behave, they have told me that if it stays the same I will have a repeat scan 2 weeks later if still ok they will let me go but I will have to be very careful. Or if all is bad.... a stitch! I have seen that a stitch is not advisable after 20 weeks? I love the internet for all the info, but so many stories and so different!!

Thank you again for your reply and please keep in touch, I will let you know how next week goes, fingers and legs crossed until then!

All the best, and take care of yourself and bump.
xxxxxx
Missdooolittle
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, i hope you are starting to relax a little. The worry must be awful! My sister had a stitch as she has an incompetent (sm?) cervix. I am pleased to say she carried her baby until 36 weeks and are both healthy Very Happy

Fx for you, let us know how you get on x
Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:24 pm 
Post subject:
They scan everyone's cervix where I am at 23 weeks and they told me that anything over 25mm is fine so it doesn't sound too bad. I'm pretty sure they can put a stitch in at any stage

Nixxie
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:35 am 
Post subject:
Hi Glidz

Just checking in on you to see how you are doing?? When is your next appointment??

I'm sure it is indeed hard with a little one running around, but prepare yourself that this resting business 'might' get put in place for the remainder of your pregnancy, so just do the best that you can!!

As far as I am aware they only consider a stitch up to 24 weeks as apparently it is not effective after that time.

Miss Doolittle - thank you for another positive story that is always good to hear to keep my spirits up too!

Anyway let me know how you are doing xxx

Glidz
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:49 pm 
Post subject:
Hi again, sorry I haven't replied sooner been a rather hectic few days! I am due in first thing in the morning so have been preparing for the worst light cleaning, food shop ironing and loads of cuddles with my baby!!

Am trying to feel as positive as I can and realy hope its good news, but with my string of luck I will not hold my breath!

Thanks again for all your support ladies, with get back to you asap after tomorrow.

xxxxxx
Glidz
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:09 pm 
Post subject:
Hi all, well some postive news for today! I had my scan this morning and am pleased to say it has more or less stayed the same, infact gone up all of 1mm!! The consultants seemed quite happy with this and have said they would like to see me in 3 weeks for another scan. No funneling or dilation either and baby is still lovely!

I am feeling a little more relaxed tonight thats for sure! How are you all doing?

Nixxie how are things with you? When you had your cervix measured was it less than mine? Am I relaxing too soon? I hope you are well.

Look forward to hearing form you soon

xxxx
tracyx87
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 pm 
Post subject:
thats great news hope the good news keeps coming xx

Nixxie
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:29 am 
Post subject:
Hi Glidz

Thats great news!! Yay!! For me I was measuring the same as you, but my cervix had been scanned continuously from 8 weeks due to my mc & it has originally been 4.9 which was great but every week it was going down & down so it clearly was showing a steady decline which is why they did the stitch.

Its only now since the stitch that it has stopped going down (so far!!) so the fact that yours increased even 1mm on its own is really fab news & I am thrilled for you!!

Just keep taking things easy & looking after yourself & your bubba! Great news!! xxx Very Happy

Glidz
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Hi there, just checking in to see how you all are?

Nixxie, how are things? Still taking it very easy?

I have recieved my next scan and its on my 24th week. Have ben feeling very very tired recently, I think it could be because I'm trying not to do too much so its making me more tired!!

Hope all is well xxxxx
Nixxie
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:43 am 
Post subject:
Hey there!

Really lovely to hear from you! I am ok, yes still on my bed rest & slowly going nuts! But my little girl is moving around a lot & that is a great feeling to have to remind me why I must stay put & be a good patient, despite being so fed up!!

Glad to hear you are taking things easy! Yes it does make you feel tired & weak as your body is not doing enough!!

Fingers crossed for your next scan! Let me know how things go!!

Lots of love xx

Glidz
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hi All,
I am very chuffed to let you know that my scan was very positive today! There is still no change, 1mm longer again no funneling no dilation and they have decided to let me carry on with no other observations, I must just have a strangely short cervix! I must say I am extrememly relieved to say the least!!

How are you all doing?? Nixxie how are things? I hope you are all well, its a little strange being able to write positive news for once!

I am now looking forward to having some time with my little one and counting down to the new arrival!

Please keep in touch though, I would love to hear how you are and how your little girl is growing and when she arrives safe and sound.

much much love xxxxxx
Nixxie
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hi to you!

I am so happy for you that you had a great scan!! What a relief!! Very Happy I hope now you can try & enjoy some of the pregnancy without any fear!! I'm keeping everything crossed for you!!

I am ok, just frustrated but I guess thats the nature of bed rest! I am just counting down now till I go to the UK. My Obstetrician wants me there from 28 weeks so I will be traveling in a bout 3 weeks time. My family I know will be happy to have me back, but my home is really here in Uganda now so its gonna be a long few months away from home, but I have to be where the best medical facilities are and its certainly not Uganda!!

Little girl is moving a lot now, making her presence known! I finally look like I am pregnant now aside from just a bit fat, so I feel a bit better now when I look in the mirror!!

So happy for you, enjoy the time with your LO & keep in touch xx

Glidz
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:28 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Nixie,

Delighted to see your lovely little one has arrived, she is beautiful! How did it all go? Were you able to make it to the end? I am still going!! Just under 2 weeks to go. Had to have another scan as I am measuring very small, not carrying any fluid around the baby, on the lowest recommended percentile. Hving another scan next week at 39 weeks, they may attempt to induce me if it is less again. Very much looking forward to meeting baby now! And hopefully enjoying xmas!
Hope you are well, so pleased we are both at th end of this now!

xxxxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular