real nappies

FaeryBUMfly
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:57 am 
Post subject: real nappies
I am thinking of switching to real nappies but am not sure how to go about ut.

how many do i need
what do I need ect

is there any to "trial" them?

thanks ladies xx
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm 
Post subject:
We had 8 kushies which we used during the day, stuck them in a bucket and washed them at the end of the day, tumble dried them and then they were ready by the next morning to use again, or you can radiator dry them

xx
StaceyRD
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:22 pm 
Post subject:
I bought a starter kit from ASDA once, Bambino Mio. Boots do them too. Just looked online and the only ones they have is a 225 from birth to potty set, so not sure if they've changed now.
Found it here though too:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bambino-Mio-Birth-Potty-Nappy-System-Extras-/220817010400?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Changing_Nappies_LE&hash=item3369b82ee0
Sad to say we never used them, but I did want to. But researching and seeing how much cost up front was the big no for me as I just couldn't find the cash. Hope someone else can help more!
x

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
It's a bit daft having quite so many, you don't need a lot, we did have a couple of cotton bottoms and a couple of bambino mio for if we used all the kushies, but never really needed them. Once you've used them all you just wash them and if you need to then use disposables until they are ready.
We still had to use disposables when out because a real nappy will only last 2-3 hours before it is saturated because they don't have as much absorbency as the gel stuff in disposables so that's the only thing to watch out for. You caan get extra liners for them which will give you about an extra half an hour I'd say from experience.
They do work out cheaper, especially if you use them for more than one baby.

Kushies were great for us because they are a complete system, no wraps or anything so you just chuck the whole lot in the wash. You don't even have to soak them, just put them all in a nappy bucket until you are ready to wash them - you need to wash them in nappy detergent on a normal cycle and they can be tumble dried. One size lasted for a whole year.

You need to use the paper liners for all washables which you can get in the supermarkets, and if there's any poo you can then easily get rid of it down the toilet on the liner.

xx
emmie02
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:02 pm 
Post subject:
You can get trial kits for most makes of real nappys.

When i wanted too test lots of different nappys i went on my local coucil website (im from wiltshire). They had a real nappy network, it was realy handy i was able to try 14 different types for 2 months, then when i found the ones i liked i phoned them again, they gave me a few weeks trial on the particular ones i wanted. I think most councils have a similar thing as they want parents to use real nappys as disposable ones never degrade (i didnt know that)

In the end i went for the one life nappy, its fantastic. LO was in it for 5 hours 2day (i forgot 2 change her) and it didnt leak atall. I also have some motthercare smart nappys (i got the starter kit for 40- u can get them induvidually as well)

You dont need too many as they r quick drying, i have enough 2 last 3 days b4 i have to do a wash (about 16 nappys)i also have some terrys nappys- i fold these up and pop them in a plastic outer.

Good luck with finding one you like.

xx

EmilysMummy
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 pm 
Post subject:
How are you getting on?

If you haven't been in touch with your local council it's worth doing. They all have different schemes, mine (Derbyshire) gave cash back. 25 if you spent over 50 (I think it was).

As someone else mentioned you can buy individual ones to test. My sister did this, bought three types and then picked the one she liked and bought a complete set. I can't remember which she is using, only that she picked pistachio in colour and they are made of bamboo! I love them and find them really easy to use.

I got confused by it all and used terry squares and wraps, my favourites were rikki wraps by motherease and thirsties. Everyone says they are hard work but I would fold them all as I washed them so they would be ready to put on and got very quick and getting them on despite needing to put on 2 layers, nappy then wrap. I like the fact I could change the fold as Emily grew so I rarely had leaking issues. They were also absorbant enough for night.

On numbers we had 20 nappies and 6 wraps (though needed to buy bigger sizes with wraps as she grew). It was more than needed but I found it meant I only had to wash every 2-3 nights, the wraps if not leaked onto only needed rinsing. I don't have a washing machine but terrys being flat squares dry quickly. I kept the nappies in a bucket and would put them on rinse cycle before washing. By dry bucketing them there was no smell.

Good luck.
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Ive used a few different brands but have been recommended the pocket nappies, you can buy them on ebay. Just bought one to see what its like and one size fits from birth to potty as they are adjustable. plus you dont have to buy any plastic outers so its cheaper. They arnt bulky like alot of cloth nappies as i have trouble getting boys trousers over them but these are great.
Going to get 12 so im not rushing to keep up with the laundry, if im out one day and dont get to wash that night i still have some for the next day. You can buy just one to try too.
Then you just need some disposible liners to catch poo, a nappy bin and a couple of laundry bags so you dont have to handle the dirty nappies.
I love reusables and they save a fortune, have no chemicals and reduce nappy rash.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular