April Mummies 2012

Bobski1980
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:17 am 
Post subject:
I'm so glad it's working for you May. I have been doing the reassurance technique since Charlie was 4 weeks old. At bedtime he goes into his cot awake after his feed. He goes to sleep straight away every night. I have never done a dream feed. He never wakes before midnight, if he does wake up I go in pat his head and say go sleepies now, give him his dummy. Me and my hubby can go in and out every 30 mins hour all night. If we eventually give in and feed him he will sleep through til 7. If we don't he will keep waking through the night and has always been like that so not sure what else I can do????? argh! Sad
MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
Aw Bobski- Sad Sounds tough! I thought Sam was bad enough but that sounds knackering!

Perhaps try dreamfeeding at your own bedtime or around 11pm before he wakes to need it and see if that resets him to sleep a little longer - if he usually goes to midnight before waking, and it could reset him to sleep a further 5 or so hours?

Otherwise I would perhaps speak to your HV - we were offered a visit to our home with the nursery nurse to discuss sleep counselling... maybe this service is offered in your area?

x

Bobski1980
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:16 pm 
Post subject:
Well the earliest he will stir is 12. But he will wake between 2 and 5ish. That's when I start the in out of his room routine. I have tried a dream feed a couple of times and it will see him til 5 but then he wants to get up and start the day, which is the same problem I have if I reassure until 5 ish. My HV said not to do a dream feed as he hadn't needed one, but to be honest he's only been really bad the last couple of weeks. Most of the time he will sleep solid until 2/3ish, feed then sleep til 7. But it's so hit and miss what sort of night we will get. I have been at home a lot this week so wondering if I'm not tiring him out enough? He also doesn't consume loads of milk during the day. Best he can do is 5oz and most of the time it's 3 and I have to keep offering it to get him to do that much. I wonder if that's part the reason why he wakes, because he's not getting enough food during the day. My nephew is just turning a year and he has been the same and only just started sleeping through this last week!
BrookesG
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 am 
Post subject:
Hi all op went well came out of it with high temp and low bp so ended up in for full day but home for kids bedtime thankfully as lily is so worried when I go anywhere now said I was shopping for her birthday! Fx it works I'd not next op sounds awful surgeon said wouldn't hesitate in a 70 year old man but really doesn't want to do it to sneond my age! So being v good and doing everything they said!

Glad new routine working may you will need your sleep all the more now. I remember with soph hardly having any symptoms but I actually think that you do it's just that your so busy with the other baby you do t have time to think about it like you do with first pregnancy so don't worry. I would do what your hubby says re work I felt so guilty with mine but at the end of the day your employed by them and they have to keep your job open unless you def know that you won't go back there all then I would hand in notice.

Gonna go see hv today don't know what to do with lily just crying and clinging to me all time waking in night to check I'm still here then getting up at 5 Ish when she really doesn't want to be up and so tired so grumpy and crying! Soph now on 3 meals and only drinks 2 bottles plus full bottle mixed in her breakfast so still 24 ounces think that's ok but will check with hv today.

Got all Lily's birthday presents Tuesday and have now reached pre pregnancy weight ( pre lily weight!) which I had set myself til Lily's birthday mainly so I could eat her birthday cake hehe! So my great this weekend is first proper haircut and colour since I was pregnant with soph.

Fab news about advent calendars Helen!
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:32 pm 
Post subject:
Glad the op went well, try and relax for a bit now Smile . So Soph is on three meals, I was wondering when to bring in the 3rd meal for Charlie as he's been on 2 meals for ages. I wasn't sure if I should leave it for a while but he's 6 months on the 27th, did you speak to your HV about it. I would quite like to introduce lunch as he's not really interested in his milk. I am struggling to get much down him so started mixing the rest of his morning milk with his breakfast to get some in him. He wouldn't take his 10am bottle at all today. Drank all of his lunchtime one though. I think they still have to have 500-600mls a day so trying to aim for that. What times does she have her bottles?

Trying really hard to get Charlie to self settle now after May's success. Bedtime is fine but it's during the night and day that I struggle. So far today I have put Charlie in his cot awake for his morning and lunchtime nap. He cried for a while but I just went in before he got too distressed and stroked his head. He eventually went to sleep himself, so I am going to persevere today and tonight. I tried last night but gave in and fed him about 2. Going to try and reassure the whole night tonight as I'm wondering if he's not hungry but just can't get himself back to sleep without being rocked or fed. Fingers x for me girls!!!!
BrookesG
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:02 pm 
Post subject:
No I just started giving her 3 meals from howi I did it with lily which wasnt that long ago! She has breakfast between 7-8 which is porridge or rusks with normal milk which sees her through to lunch food including a dessert( 11.30-12) then first bottle to drink is 2 ish( now so must rush!) then tea 4.30-4.45 food and a mini yoghurt then last bottoms at 6.30 (8 oz) at the 2pm feed she has between 4-7 ounces depending how piggy she being! Off to see hv after this bottle so will let ya know how much suppose to be having!

Good luck for tonight x
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:46 pm 
Post subject:
Glad the op went well GemB and you are now home and recovering - make sure you rest up well and be good - hopefully it will all have resolved and you won't have to go back *hugs*

Hope the HV is able to give you good advice too hun RE Lily - bless her cottons Sad

I am so so proud of Samuel - tonight I did our routine, read him three story books, he rubbed his eyes so we went to his room, I put him in his sleepbag after a kiss and a cuddle, and I sat by his cot - but DIDN'T put my hand in to pat him and he gave me a sheepishly sleepy grin and closed his eyes and went to sleep without a peep! Smile I could cry I'm so happy for him and so proud! Smile Such a small thing but I can't believe we've gone from feeding in the night every 1-3hrs, to that in just 6 nights. And I fully expect to dreamfeed him at 10.30-11pm and him to sleep through again til 7am like he has been doing... Smile

Really hope the ideas work for you too Bobski! Sounds like you are doing all the right things... as for getting him to take more each feed I don't know what to suggest there - what has your HV said about it? Only because for me the only thing I could think of would be an ineffective feeding technique perhaps or getting too much wind in making big feeds too uncomfortable? I'm just purely guessing though! Sad

Food wise - if it helps: Samuel has boob at 7am, then breakfast at 8-8.30am (porridge or baby cereal made up with cowsmilk) plus a slice of whilemeal toast with butter (and sometimes jam), then boob at 10am, then lunch at 12-1pm which is a bowl of veggy puree, half a pitta or three large sticks of vegetable, or 4 sticks of cheese, or 3-4 large corn crisps (or 5 smaller ones) followed by a fruit puree (sometimes mixed with babyrice) or a fruitpot, or a petit filous, or a biscotti biscuit, then boob at 2.30-3pm, then sometimes a biscuit or couple of corn crispie things at around 4pm, then tea at 5pm which is the same as lunch only I tend to try to give him something containing meat such as a blitzed up chicken and brocolli combo, instead of plain vegetable puree - but this is quite a new thing to have meat... but all the rest like the solid finger food and the pudding... and then boob at 6.30pm.

When I told the HV that, as well as all the nightfeeds he WAS having - she was amazed that he isn't double the weight he is! Very Happy Little piggy! Would you all have said that was too much? Or a lot?
x

BrookesG
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:42 pm 
Post subject:
Wow good going Samuel I'm impressed - when did he start having toast? I'm too scared to give it to soph although shd happily suck/ eats those organic carrot stick crisp things?? Totally forgot that shd can have cows milk with breakfast too! such a clever boy too it's amazing how fast they adapt isn't it I would never have dreamt that lily snc soph going in same bedroom would work so easily as when they got out in together I still couldn't guarantee soph would go to sleep without a fight but within days they both went to sleep without a peep.

Hv said fine shd had dropped a feed as getting milk in other ways now yoghurt etc re lily I have to give her Something to remind her of me and that means to her that mummy will come back keys or phone they suggested??!! She not having either if those she will break my phone and loose my keys! So got to think of something else I'm a bit dubious! She has slot of change going on bless her, soph arrived then daddy left now has to share me with soph shd moves up classes at nursery and tumbletots in next few weeks so all unsettling for her. God I feel so guilty poor little thing as a mum your job is to make them feel safe not insecure so feel a right failure!

Must dash meds to take and sleep to get before my 5 am wake up call hopefully when lily feels more secure they will stop!
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:26 am 
Post subject:
Aww bless her cottons Sad Perhaps you can start carrying something with you all the time like a beaded bracelet or a chunky keyring or purse (empty) and then if you have to go anywhere ask Lily to 'look after it' for you - something special of yours that she can hold on to - but not something you would actually need like keys or a phone (daft woman? why would she suggest that?!)

Sam had toast from 6 months so only about 2 weeks or so, but he loves it - and sticks of cheese! Smile

I have to go as Samuel is grizzling but any ladies with a double buggy - can you say which and recommend for me please? I'm offered a Jane Powertwin - have you heard reviews? x

BrookesG
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:00 pm 
Post subject:
Ahh good idea I have a little purse she could have with a little something inside.

Pushchairs are hard the one I have brittax b dual has served its purpose but lily will not go underneath so had to buy another attachment to put cat seat on bottom but lily kicks up such a stink now even on top cos she can't see soph I'm desperately trying to get a cheap second hand mcclaren side by side. The thing with doubles is obviously they are heavy and I can't wait to stop lugging the brittax in and out of the boot of my car cos that's where it's stored but so big all bits have to come off and can't get in house without taking wheels off!

I really wish I had spent more time researching but we got this one so it would fit in the boot of car alot of others didn't and it actually was one of the lighter ones!

Sorry not heard of Jane powertwin x
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:40 pm 
Post subject:
Aw - thanks GemB - I am going to see a second hand britax b-dual tomorrow so will bare that in mind. I don't think Samuel is going to like going on the bottom either to be honest... and if I am right - you can't put baby on the bottom seat as it is - and don't want to have to go buy extras on top... so I think I'll go see it but it's not my number 1 choice at the moment...
x

Bobski1980
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies

Brooks don't be so hard on yourself, and May that is a great idea! Yes what a stupid suggestion...keys or phone derrr!

Well I decided to do a dreamfeed last night as my sisters HV said Charlie is probably hungry as they only wake up every 30/60mins if they are hungry. So I did my dreamfeed at 10pm and he woke at midnight. So I know he's not waking because he's hungry! I was in and out all night again, spent 30 mins standing on the landing at 4:30 (after a feed) trying to get him to go to sleep by himself. May how do you build up to them self soothing, how often do you go in and how long do you stay??? Today I have given him breakfast lunch and tea, so will see how that goes but he really isn't interested in his milk. He took 5oz eventually this morning at 7 (some mixed with brekkie at 8 then the rest at 9), skipped his 10am feed, took 5oz eventually at lunchtime then had some veggies, took 5oz again eventually at 3-4pm then tea at 5, only 2 oz at 7pm. He seems to prefer his food. I gave him a rice cake today which he was thrilled to recieve, but he dropped the first one and burst into tears when he realised it had gone. So I gave him another one and it broke into pieces and I panicked and picked a huge lump out of his mouth (although he was chewing on it). Then I just removed the rest, and he burst into tears again bless.

I'm so chuffed you have samuel into a routine May, I don't know what to do with Charlie as he hasn't been this bad before, only the last couple of weeks. Maybe he does need three meals a day, I will see what he is like tonight. I don't think I will bother with the dreamfeed tonight, I will just feed him when he wakes up.

Saw surgoen today about my lump, got to go for another scan.

Think I will ring HV about Charlie monday. Idea

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
I literally just did what the HV said to get him to self-settle - I go in when he cries, and I sit and pat him until he goes to sleep - I won't lie - in the first couple of nights I was sat patting him for over an hour - my arm was dead, my back was killing from leaning over the cot etc - but now I don't have to go in at all other than to dreamfeed - so I'm glad I put up with it.

See what your HV says hun... Smile

Good luck with the second scan hun - is that so they can compare? Have they said what it is?

I am due back at the doctor for another assessment of my lump, I think it has grown but it is still tiny - around the size of a small pea. She didn't seem concerned about it.

I have to go talk to work on monday about returning (or not as the case may be)... I think I am going to extend my maternity leave to the full 52 weeks, then take 35 days holiday which takes me to the end of May, then take maternity leave from then - which takes me to 1st March 2014 with 5 days remaining holiday to take before 1st Nov 2014 - then I can either extend to the full 52 weeks again, or return to work, or leave work. It's so far away I can make the decision later - but for now I'll stay employed. When I do return - it will be to a different location - as the surgery is moving... and probably to a different job role - I can't expect them to keep mine open for me...
Sad

x

Bobski1980
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:49 am 
Post subject:
Hi

Well the last two nights have been much better. I have persevered with putting Charlie down for set naps in his cot awake and although the first couple of days took me about 40 mins to get him to sleep, yesterday and today took 10 minutes. Friday night he slept solid until 2:15, had a small watered down feed then back to sleep until 7am! Last night he slept solid until 3:15 had a small watered down feed, woke at 5 (took about 10 minutes to get him to sleep) then up at 7. He seems much easier to settle now I have kept on with the reassurance and not given up and let him sleep in my arms. Also seems happier he is napping better during the day. I have heard him stir a couple of times in the night but where I would normally have to go in he is settling himself back to sleep...hoorah!

Started giving him vegetables at lunch and savoury cereal for dinner so not sure if it's that filling him up for the night. During the weel he was waking crying all evening aswell but that has also stopped. So hoping it won't be long and he may sleep through. To be honest I don't mind giving him a quick drink if he sleeps well in between.

The consultant said he doesn't think it is anything to worry about (and I have just had a biopsy which was fine) but he said there is obviously changes going on. He did a quick handheld untrasound on the other small lump thats appeared but couldn't see anything which is why I have to go back in, and probably to check the other one aswell. I think he's just keeping an eye on it, I did ask if it could turn cancerous and he said any tissue can (not very helpfull) so I asked if I had an increased risk as I have a lump and he said no. So will have to not worry about it and see what the next scan brings.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:13 pm 
Post subject:
Can't stop but wanted to say hurrah for Charlie sleeping better Bobski - really pleased for you! Smile xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Birth Club 2012 All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 79 of 81

Jump to:  

Community

Popular