Private body part

Zaarambar
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:48 pm 
Post subject: Private body part
How do you teach your child what our private bodyparts are called. i have no problem to tell my child that she has a vagina. But now she starts to sing about body part (head and shoulders...) and mention her vagina. Its a bit embarrassing. Besides she is also a bit confused because neighbours girl calles it her mary. Do you stick to the original names or made up names?
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 am 
Post subject:
Well my oh tells our son he has a pee pee, i let him decide what to call it since he has to feel comfortable talking about it with him. I call it his penis but its up to each mum what they feel is best and you have to feel ok with what terms you use. Stick with vagina, thats its name and you obviously have no issue with using that term and at least she knows too. As for the little girl who calls it her Mary...............i think that be more confusing to her as she grows up.
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:04 am 
Post subject:
I agree with Hunter - if you are comfortable talking to her and using the real word, imo that is so much the better as it should avoid confusion growing up. I think we have a tendency to make the situation worse when we start changing the word for a vagina - at this age they don't see it as different to any other body part! Its like telling them their head is their eagle, or a table is called a carpet - can only lead to confusion Very Happy
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:22 pm 
Post subject:
i think it depends how old yr child is...younger ones dont really hav to know the proper names for them bits do they??
SexOnFire
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:30 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter calls hers her lady bits, but is happy to call Lukes manhood a willy. Looking back I never called mine by it's real name until I was a lot older. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it depends on the maturity of the idividual child.

Isabelle had wiped too hard after going to the toilet and said to me, mummy my lady bits are sore, which was fine as we were in tescos at the time, I would have been embarrassed if she had used the correct terminology lol.
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:43 am 
Post subject:
WOW, I think using the term lady bits was very grown up of her, cute too Very Happy !! Actually thats a really good way of saying it till they are old enough to understand.
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:08 pm 
Post subject:
wen i was younger i called it my flower and so duz my nieces etc. but i call my sons his winkie. i think they shudn't use the more grown up words till they start asking questions and feel ready. But every1 is different.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular