Anyone else suffering in pregnancy with CFS ?

Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:10 pm 
Post subject: Anyone else suffering in pregnancy with CFS ?
I am 26 and have suffered quite badly with Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome (also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or ME) for the last year after being struck down with a horrendous bout of Glandular Fever and Hepatitis A when I was on holiday in Brazil.

When I fell pregnant my symptoms were alleviated somewhat in the first trimester and it looked hopeful that I may have an eassier time with the extra hormones floating about. I'm now 16 weeks and have been struck down again with the same exhaustive fatigue (not just tired but actually getting to a point where I literally cannot walk or move!) and excruciating joint and muscle pain in my legs and arms. GP can't give me anything to ease the pain and paracetomol don't cut the mustard as they're not anti inflammatory. Doc wants to sign me off work but I know I would die of boredom at home until D day and my boss is being great about cutting my workload down.

Anyone else plagued by this and needing a moan or have any tips?
Claire xxx
cardea
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:08 pm 
Post subject: Alternative therapies
Hi, i read your post with great intrest . I have never heard of this condition and i am sorry to hear that you are suffering with is so badly. It is very difficult in pregnancy not being able to take medication etc that normally one would have taken for granted. I had flu over christmas and the only thing i could do was look at alternative therapies to help alleviate the symptoms. I know that they will not cure your problem but maybe looking at alternative therapies such as safe essential oils to use could help ? Sometimes even the mental stimulation of thinknig that you are actively trying something to help yourself can boost you. Also looking at alternative treatments might take up some of your time and the research might make you feel less bored and frustrated ? ! I have tried various essential oils for niggly problems during prenancy, such as grapefruit oil for morning sickness and swollen ankles. If this is a path you would be intrested in, make sure you research carefully to make sure what you are using is safe. Good luck and i wish you a happy pregnancy X Wink
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:40 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,
Thanks for your kind reply. It's one of those illnesses that cannot be diagnosed until everything else is ruled out and a lot of people are very unsympathetic because of the old "yuppy flu" myths from the past when I think a lot of people used it as the new "sore back" to get off work! Unfortunately it totally changes your lifestyle and things you could normally do are totally out of the question as you have to think about how it will make you feel the next few days after. If I get ill, I end up in bed for weeks when everyone else might be a couple of days cos my immune system goes to zero and I end up with a mini version of glandular fever just from a simple cold! It aint pretty! I have taken your advice about the complementary route and phoned my GP to ask what he thought. He thought it was something I could try out so I have got an appt with a local massge therapist who does manipulative therapies and reflexology which may be able to give me some pain relief and also a bit of relaxed tiredness rather than the horrible exhaustive tiredess I get just now. Thanks for your suggestion, fingers crossed it helps!!!
Claire xxx
Marien
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:19 pm 
Post subject:
Poor U! I suffered from ME/Chronic Fatigue (after having viral pleurisy) from 2005 until 2007 and I still have probs now so I do sympathise! What helped me most was stopping work altogether - yes I was bored but my GP told me that to recover more quickly complete rest was the best thing. 2 other friends of mine who've had ME tried to carry on and got worse as a result, then when they stopped and rested they began to recover. I think the illness is a sign from your body that it needs to stop and mend and we should listen to our bodies as they're wiser than we are! I still tire easily and this pregnancy has been hard so far (I'm in week 11) but I have had acupuncture and it has really helped me. Also when you have the aches a hot bath helps as heat is an analgesic and helps relax the body. Well, those are my suggestions, I hope they help you. Good luck! Smile
Marien
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:48 pm 
Post subject:
Hi CJ how are you getting on? Have you tried massage and if so has it helped you? I hope so. All the best Smile xx
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:06 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Marien,
I have been getting my wonderful hubby to massage my legs every night before bed and that makes it much easier to sleep which has been great. I have an appt for a massage therapist to try massage and reflexology next week which I think will really help too. I spoke to my boss and asked if I could have a day off during the week and work a saturday instead which has worked wonders for the fatigue side as I get a midweek rest and if the massage therapy works i'll try and get it each week for that day.
Thanks so much for asking , it's nice to speak to everyone on here and help each other,
Claire xxxx
Marien
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Claire. Your hubby is a star! I'm so glad it is helping you and the day off in the week is a great idea too. Glad too you replied, it is so good to know that with support us preggers can get through these times - it's hard enough being pregnant without the added "bonus" of CFS! Good on you! Love Marien xx Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular