Early scan - when did you know to expect 2?

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:30 pm 
Post subject: Early scan - when did you know to expect 2?
Hey ladies,
Just wondering when the earliest anyone found out if they were having twins was? I have an early scan this week at 6+4 and I don't know why but I just 'feel' like it may be twins. There are twins on my mother's side of the family - my Nan had two sets of twins... I don't know - just wondered if a scan on thursday would tell me or whether it would be unreliable until my dating scan at 12 ish weeks?
x

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:17 pm 
Post subject:
I didnt find out til 12 weeks but i'm pretty sure they would be able to tell at 6 weeks as there would be 2 seperate foetus' even though they will be tiny.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:22 pm 
Post subject:
Never had twins but my FIL's wife did last year and had a scan at around 8 weeks to check for ectopic after having pain and they only saw one baby then at her routine 12 week scan there were two Shocked she had been saying how dog rough and tired she felt on Facebook everyday though Laughing Dont know how the sonographer missed the other one though must have been behind the one she saw Question
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:16 pm 
Post subject:
they should be able to tell although sometimes one can be hiding behind the other.

SparkJack
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:21 pm 
Post subject:
pretty sure they can tell hun but not sure if they will confirm it properly until your 12 week scan x

teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:11 pm 
Post subject:
My friend just had a scan yesterday and found out there was two!!
Although one is nearly half the size of the other so she has to go back in 2 weeks for another scan, I can see from the pic how much smaller it looks - she was 7 weeks on Sat just gone so you can find out but I think if it where me I would rather find out at 12 weeks as she is obv all over the place at the moment she did get to hear 2 heartbeats but is still very scared so its going to make it one hell of a long pregnancy being so early and having all this extra worry on her! xx
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 pm 
Post subject:
If they're from 2 seperate eggs Teebs there can be a difference in gestational age as two eggs released in the same cycle can be released 24 hrs apart so thats one day already then if one implants early at say 5 days and the other doesn't until 10 days then there can be quite a size difference at first , so one can look a week or so behind, FX for your friend thats all it is (watched a fascinating programme about multiples had loads of info I'd never heard before ) xx
catcrazy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:55 pm 
Post subject:
I had a scan at 6 weeks exactly and saw two sacks with heartbeats Very Happy

Good luck for your scan hun xx

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you all so much for the replies! I had the scan today and only one sac and Pumpkin, but your stories about two appearing at 12 weeks means I won't TOTALLY discount it yet! Smile

That must be worrying for your friend Teebs - hope that the second scan shows what Nat said and it's just that one is slightly younger than the other and she'll not have anything to worry about... *hugs*

Thank you all ladies - for now - I'll stick with the one Pumpkin - if anything changes - I'll come let you know! Smile xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Twins, Triplets and Multiples All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular